Prospect Info: LAK Draft (2nd, 2020) C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
would be nice to give byfield and turcotte a cup of tea. i would've thought kaliyev was the logical 3rd choice but i can't claim to be in touch with what ontario is doing

Reactions: Lt Dan

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I would like to see if Turcotte on our NHL team would have the same effect as JAD. Another element of speed and skill with that tenacious playing style. He would be fun to watch and like JAD add some energy. Put him on a line with JAD and Moore and let them fly.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I would like to see if Turcotte on our NHL team would have the same effect as JAD. Another element of speed and skill with that tenacious playing style. He would be fun to watch and like JAD add some energy. Put him on a line with JAD and Moore and let them fly.

The Kings should still be hoping that Turcotte can develop into the future 2C, a 1C as was expected when he was drafted is probably not realistic based on results + Byfield being added, but the expectation still should be he is the long-term answer at 2C behind Byfield.

Throwing him into the NHL in an energy bottom six role with two other guys who are under 6' just doesn't seem like a recipe for successful development unless we want our own Sam Bennett.

He should be in the AHL until he can be a very good player at that level (hopefully sometime next season), and putting on weight and muscle is also going to be necessary if he is going to be a center in the NHL and play the type of sandpaper game the Kings expect.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Kings should still be hoping that Turcotte can develop into the future 2C, a 1C as was expected when he was drafted is probably not realistic based on results + Byfield being added, but the expectation still should be he is the long-term answer at 2C behind Byfield.

Throwing him into the NHL in an energy bottom six role with two other guys who are under 6' just doesn't seem like a recipe for successful development unless we want our own Sam Bennett.

He should be in the AHL until he can be a very good player at that level (hopefully sometime next season), and putting on weight and muscle is also going to be necessary if he is going to be a center in the NHL and play the type of sandpaper game the Kings expect.

I kind of agree with you here. But I do think he has the raw ability to play right now, just not the body to back up his game effectively. Could easily slide him next to Kopitar right this moment imo but I'm not thinking that's best for his development.

Turcotte strikes me as the kind of kid who will be better in the higher level, better flow NHL because of his brain and ability to play with pace--better puck support around him means better options and he'll use em.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I kind of agree with you here. But I do think he has the raw ability to play right now, just not the body to back up his game effectively. Could easily slide him next to Kopitar right this moment imo but I'm not thinking that's best for his development.

Turcotte strikes me as the kind of kid who will be better in the higher level, better flow NHL because of his brain and ability to play with pace--better puck support around him means better options and he'll use em.

He just turned 20, he looks pretty tiny playing in the AHL and has had some issues with bigger players outmuscling down there, he needs to get bigger and stronger and establish himself at that level as a scorer. A game or two before the end of this season to give him a taste is totally fine, but IMO he is behind Byfield, Kupari and Kaliyev on the meritocracy call-up list, maybe even Thomas and Fagemo too.

The expectation should be that he gains weight and confidence next season down there and then comes up probably some time after the calendar turns, that is probably the best case scenario for him making the Kings.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He just turned 20, he looks pretty tiny playing in the AHL and has had some issues with bigger players outmuscling down there, he needs to get bigger and stronger and establish himself at that level as a scorer. A game or two before the end of this season to give him a taste is totally fine, but IMO he is behind Byfield, Kupari and Kaliyev on the meritocracy call-up list, maybe even Thomas and Fagemo too.

The expectation should be that he gains weight and confidence next season down there and then comes up probably some time after the calendar turns, that is probably the best case scenario for him making the Kings.

100% agreed.

I just think he's going to be an absolute animal when he's got some man strength. But right now he gets tossed around a bit like Lizotte--he'll stick his nose in everywhere to his credit but that won't be as effective vs. NHL checkers so a big part of his game will be missing even if he's got the speed/juice and creativity.

I want the kid that goes in no f***s given and slashes Bjornfot's goalie right in front of him.

Reactions: Gjwrams

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
100% agreed.

I just think he's going to be an absolute animal when he's got some man strength. But right now he gets tossed around a bit like Lizotte--he'll stick his nose in everywhere to his credit but that won't be as effective vs. NHL checkers so a big part of his game will be missing even if he's got the speed/juice and creativity.

I want the kid that goes in no f***s given and slashes Bjornfot's goalie right in front of him.

I just don't get the need to rush him when there are still areas to improve on at the level they are playing at. If the Kings did bring him up and play him the rest of the season that is two seasons in a row where you get a promotion without being a dominant player at the level he was playing at. And while it is more than points (size and strength like I said in the other post) you have to really consider the long-term risk of bringing a guy up to the NHL with the expectations he is going to be in a scoring role in the future when that player has 2 goals in 20 games (1 an ENG) after finishing up the season before with something like 3 goals in his final 20 games. Just seems like a recipe to develop a bottom six forward and not a high end 2C. I understand people want to see him in the NHL, but it should be when he has proven he can play a role in the AHL that he is expected to play in the NHL. I am honestly shocked that so many want to see him up.

Like I think @BigKing said in another post, we need to be careful in just assuming that every prospect is going to make it, our own history is littered with guys who didn't, and a lot of that has to do with how they were handled.

And I know you understand this, but even your last part about slashing people and playing that style just brings back awful memories of how much Flames fans justified Bennett being up early because he did stuff like that too. They insisted the offense would come but unfortunately he never learned how to be a scoring line player before being thrown to the wolves and plateaued as a 30 point agitator despite being the #4 overall pick. I am not saying he is going to be Sam Bennett, but the reality is, his downside is Sam Bennett if he's handled wrong. I'd personally rather have a 50-55 point center who plays like that from age 21 on than have a 30 point player who plays like that starting now.

Last edited:

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Hey. Didn’t say Turcotte wasn’t going to be a top 6 player. I just want to get him a couple of games to show him NHL size and pace and I want him to show some of our let’s say more laid back players that youthful balls to the wall energy he plays with, not unlike JADs energy.

Does it really matter what size of player he plays with. No matter who’s line he is on, if he gets crushed no one will care or have his back. Well maybe AA but we have a team full of wall flowers

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
While this is a Byfield thread, I thinkbthe difference between Turcotte and Bennett is, like Byfield, Turcotte is just getting a taste at the NHL level to see where he's at and needs to improve. Then at training camp next year, he can compete for a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad