Prospect Info: LAK Draft (2nd, 2020) C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
QB looked pretty happy to be drafted by the Kings.

Can't say I blame him. Where would you rather live Los Angeles or Ottawa?

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
I mean LA and SoCal in general has many things to do in so many avenues and culture.

What does Ottawa have? Like if I was to move to Canada, I probably would want to live in Vancouver.... or somewhere reasonably near it. Like 30-50 miles near it. Or maybe Toronto (or again somewhere reasonably near it). What is there to do in Ottawa?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The weather won’t be a factor in his excitement but our organisation and program will. We are poised to become a force again and have a good development program so from a hockey standpoint that’s great. Also, whilst I get some on here don’t like BLuc, for a player working for Rob Blake and Luc Robitaille must be damn exciting, not to mention playing with Kopi, Brown, Carter, Quick and DD. All our prospects must really look up to all those guys.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
I mean if you don't like snow or rain, then this weather is perfect for you. If you hate sun and blazing warm temperatures in the summer and possibly unclean air, too bad.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
How many of you have spent any kind of serious time in Ottawa in the winter?

It's brutal.

I'd be more worried about the tight ass owner that will never allow the team to contend with his crazy decisions.

If you were a prospect you'd seriously consider tanking in any sort of communication with Ottawa even to the point of telling them not draft you, you wont sign.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I'd be more worried about the tight ass owner that will never allow the team to contend with his crazy decisions.

If you were a prospect you'd seriously consider tanking in any sort of communication with Ottawa even to the point of telling them not draft you, you wont sign.

You're probably right

but I've been there for -30 to -40 temps with a windchill factor making it feel even colder and I legitimately thought I was going to freeze to death. I can still feel the cold in my nightmares.

Token

May 15, 2019
Hehehe, weather and an 18 year old kid.

The only time weather will cross his mind is when he takes a spill from that beach cruiser while rubbernecking the beach volleyball going on year round in Redondo ...

Kid has two things on his mind; hockey and weather ain’t the other one.
:)

Reactions: RaymondReddington

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If the season starts late, what's the likelihood we will see him on the Kings? Especially since he would be sheltered by Kopitar.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I mean LA and SoCal in general has many things to do in so many avenues and culture.

What does Ottawa have? Like if I was to move to Canada, I probably would want to live in Vancouver.... or somewhere reasonably near it. Like 30-50 miles near it. Or maybe Toronto (or again somewhere reasonably near it). What is there to do in Ottawa?
Ottawa has a lot of strip clubs and hookers, but it makes sense because it's the national capitol of Canada. Doesn't matter which country, the politicians aren't there to serve.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You're probably right

but I've been there for -30 to -40 temps with a windchill factor making it feel even colder and I legitimately thought I was going to freeze to death. I can still feel the cold in my nightmares.
I visited Ottawa years ago in October. It rained, and it was the kind of freezing rain that soaks right into your bones.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don’t want Byfield or any of our kids playing in the OHL if they’re going to eliminate contact because of Covid.

Even if the OHL would be back to normal, why would the Kings go against the overwhelming trend of having the #2 overall pick play in the NHL?

I don't get it, how sending a #2 overall pick back to dominate a level he already dominated as a 17 year old. I feel like this is the opposite of the Turcotte situation.

Play him in the NHL, start him on the bottom six and see how he does, sit him when he needs to watch and learn from the pressbox, send him to Ontario for a weekend conditioning assignment, let him go to the WJC's if he's not a big part of the team. But it's way better to get him used to the NHL life at 18 when maybe as much isn't expected of him and the team than to go through the rookie wall and NHL culture shock when he's 19 and likely part of a team that is going to be contending for a playoff spot. There is a reason teams have had these guys up in the show at 18.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Even if the OHL would be back to normal, why would the Kings go against the overwhelming trend of having the #2 overall pick play in the NHL?

I don't get it, how sending a #2 overall pick back to dominate a level he already dominated as a 17 year old. I feel like this is the opposite of the Turcotte situation.

Play him in the NHL, start him on the bottom six and see how he does, sit him when he needs to watch and learn from the pressbox, send him to Ontario for a weekend conditioning assignment, let him go to the WJC's if he's not a big part of the team. But it's way better to get him used to the NHL life at 18 when maybe as much isn't expected of him and the team than to go through the rookie wall and NHL culture shock when he's 19 and likely part of a team that is going to be contending for a playoff spot. There is a reason teams have had these guys up in the show at 18.

I agree and the NHL training and diet would be great for him but I believe the plan is to send him to the OHL.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I was on board with letting him dominate another year but the more I think about it the more I'd rather he just stick to the NHL except for the WJCs.

He's insulated by vets and can play whatever roles they feel he's ready for while watching his development first hand.

I actually think he'll play better against bigger better players, because based on his previous coach's remarks, it sounds like a lot of the reason he has previously 'played small' has to do with the opponents around him.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If the season starts late, what's the likelihood we will see him on the Kings? Especially since he would be sheltered by Kopitar.

With the unusual season, I think it's important to take it a step at a time due to fluidity. Blainville-Boisbrand has 18 players/staff afflicted with COVID. Moncton (Jordan Spence's team) also might have to quarantine with a potential outbreak.

Berlin is also quarantining due to a positive case.

So they are probably just hoping they can have a WJC with zero infections. From there, they will see where Byfield is and maybe get him some NHL games.

Token

May 15, 2019
I actually think he'll play better against bigger better players, because based on his previous coach's remarks, it sounds like a lot of the reason he has previously 'played small' has to do with the opponents around him
This!

The same way Chara was forever in the penalty box until he figured out to tuck in the elbows and that he didn’t need to really do much push through.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
This is what I've been saying for months. This is extraordinary circumstances and if it is more beneficial and safer for him to be in LA then he should be here training with the Kings staff and Kings players. Rather than potentially being sidelined in quarantine with his team and only playing in meaningful games sporadically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->