Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm fairly certain an agent doesn't do anything in public without informing and getting their clients consent first. A lot of these things can put their clients in a very awkward position.

agreed

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yup. The question in all these cases is how much knowledge/input did the players have in these actions beforehand, often we never find out.......but I'm sceptical they knew nothing or had nothing to do with it.
they wouldn't do it without the player's consent i bet. and if they did, or if the comments were misinterpreted, i bet laine and his camp would be coming out trying to save face, which evidently has not happened.

Well Barzal stated he hoped there would be an offer sheet this year to stir up drama lol.

But yeah you don't hear agents bitch about usage that often but it does happen with players on other teams as well.

not the same as bitchin about usage (after a year where nearly 80% of all your ice time was with the 1C) and saying it'd be beneficial to part ways. barzal hoping of an offer-sheet could also be interpreted as putting pressure on the islanders in getting a contract done for him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Pagnotta on 1290 saying Laine's preference is to be somewhere else this year. take it fwiw

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Pagnotta on 1290 saying Laine's preference is to be somewhere else this year. take it fwiw

Laine's legal representation has already stated publically that a trade would likely be the best solution. In the days after that statement there was no correction or altering of the statement or refuting of the statement by his legal representation or Laine himself........so it's fairly clear what Laine's thoughts are on the matter. Speculation TBH at this point is the most positive thing people can do, b/c the facts would indicate Laine wants out, by speculating that Laine doesn't really mean it and it's just a agent/player tactic to try to strong arm the team into doing what Laine wants if he remains on the team. We'll see how it all works out, but I would say each week that passes less likely Laine is traded during the offseason.........but I also get the feeling that Laine isn't destined to be a Jet long term......that might mean a trade still this offseason (starting to question that, but still possible) or traded during the season or next offseason.

Last edited:

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Also said the sentiment has been there for a year.

Trying to call the shots at 20, 21 years old? That's extremely immature by Laine. I understand wanting to be the best and all that, but he simply just isn't.

Not saying there's truth to any of this, but if there is then I can see why the vets and management would have frustration.

I stand by my prediction that Laine does sign a longish term contract extension eventually, and all this chatter is for nothing, fwiw

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam da bomb

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Has anyone actually heard/seen a comment directly from Laine? Or is it all "insiders" speculating based on the agent's comments?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Nothing out of the horses mouth yet

Not unlike his comments last time around regarding Little/Mark, you can bet the press will address it with him once we get up and going. He will have to give one of multi possible answers.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Also said the sentiment has been there for a year.

Trying to call the shots at 20, 21 years old? That's extremely immature by Laine. I understand wanting to be the best and all that, but he simply just isn't.

Not saying there's truth to any of this, but if there is then I can see why the vets and management would have frustration.

I stand by my prediction that Laine does sign a longish term contract extension eventually, and all this chatter is for nothing, fwiw
Agree. Laine is putting unnecessary pressure on himself, whether he goes elsewhere or stays with the Jets. Results and performance speak for themselves, and drive usage and contract terms. The public complaints by Laine or his agents are counterproductive.

I'm less optimistic that Laine remains with the Jets. I think that Chevy would keep Laine if he can't get the right return, but I also think that he might be showing some patience to get the kind of return he thinks is fair. I think either outcome would be fine for the Jets going forward.

Reactions: ps241 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Seems like he's still holding a grudge from the 18-19 year. I think Moe should have given him what he wanted after his hot November that year but to still be worked up about it after he got what he wanted most of last year just reeks of too much entitlement to me.

He is going to be in for a rude awakening if he thinks another team will automatically give him what he wants if it hasn't been fully earned.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Seems like he's still holding a grudge from the 18-19 year. I think Moe should have given him what he wanted after his hot November that year but to still be worked up about it after he got what he wanted most of last year just reeks of too much entitlement to me.

He is going to be in for a rude awakening if he thinks another team will automatically give him what he wants if it hasn't been fully earned.
Agreed. He'd get his butt stapled to the bench on most teams. Would he use it as a wake-up call is the question.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona

I think you may be right. This is on PoMo. I get that a team can’t let it’s player’s dictate how the team operates. But that seems to be exactly what is happening with this team. Be it Laine , Wheeler etc. They are all guilty of it. And the main reason for it is PoMo. When you allow entitlement to fester. Whether in you Veterans or rookies you run the risk of alienating teammates . Which in this case seems to be a lot of our younger decent players. Before we lose Laine can we please move on from PoMo first and see if we can’t mend some bridges that way. Top end talent is incredibly hard to find. Mediocre coaches not so much.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think you may be right. This is on PoMo. I get that a team can’t let it’s player’s dictate how the team operates. But that seems to be exactly what is happening with this team. Be it Laine , Wheeler etc. They are all guilty of it. And the main reason for it is PoMo. When you allow entitlement to fester. Whether in you Veterans or rookies you run the risk of alienating teammates . Which in this case seems to be a lot of our younger decent players. Before we lose Laine can we please move on from PoMo first and see if we can’t mend some bridges that way. Top end talent is incredibly hard to find. Mediocre coaches not so much.

Kids these days don't care about hierarchy and that is the type of coach Maurice is. I found Chara's views on rookies very refreshing. They are seen as equal members of the team in his eyes. Coaching is going to have to change as more and more millennial kids jump in and aren't willing to wait around for a role they feel that they have earned.

Having said that Laine needs to mature a bit here if he is still whinning about it.

Reactions: JetsUK

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
Kids these days don't care about hierarchy and that is the type of coach Maurice is. I found Chara's views on rookies very refreshing. They are seen as equal members of the team in his eyes. Coaching is going to have to change as more and more millennial kids jump in and aren't willing to wait around for a role they feel that they have earned.

Having said that Laine needs to mature a bit here if he is still whinning about it.
Problem is he isn’t the only one. If rumours are correct you also have Copp and Roslovic. You could even add Niku to the list.

Reactions: hn777

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I know. The only reason I added him is because he was clearly better then a lot of the fodder that we were trotting out on the ice most of last season. And I also know he was injured for a good chunk of it.
Clearly better? It's not like you can really judge that by his time in the NHL. Should none of that other Fodder been in the NHL maybe not but until he proves that, he has no league to stand on as better players have been given less of a shot.

Reactions: KingBogo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Problem is he isn’t the only one. If rumours are correct you also have Copp and Roslovic. You could even add Niku to the list.

Copp is willing to earn a bigger role though which is the big difference. Hes also still very invested in the team and is part of the leadership core. He was one of 4 players with Mark, Josh and Blake that called Perfetti after the draft.

I dont think Copp is at all unhappy here, he just wants a bigger role and the money that comes with it. I'm sure if he's offered a fair deal next summer he'd stick around.

Roslovic is understandable as hes blocked at RW. He knows he isnt better then what is ahead of him and likely wants to go to a team with an opening.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Copp is willing to earn a bigger role though which is the big difference. Hes also still very invested in the team and is part of the leadership core. He was one of 4 players with Mark, Josh and Blake that called Perfetti after the draft.

I dont think Copp is at all unhappy here, he just wants a bigger role and the money that comes with it. I'm sure if he's offered a fair deal next summer he'd stick around.

Roslovic is understandable as hes blocked at RW. He knows he isnt better then what is ahead of him and likely wants to go to a team with an opening.

Copp & Jack arent top six players, no one wishes they were more then PMO especially at 2C.......but they aren't at least on this team with our wingers on the top two lines. Neither have been able to capture centre roles on a perm basis. Both look like good 3rd line players (C/W), I can't see either being a top six guy any where.

Niku, is Niku he isn't NHL level at this point, hopefully he has a big year this upcoming year & stays healthy......then we'll see.

Players can complain about usage, but they better have skill level or close to what they need to get the role they want to at least make it debatable. Laine, ok that's a fair discussion to have. Copp, Jack & Niku have nothing to complain about regarding usage........if anything they should take a good look in the mirror before being upset with coaches. To be clear Copp & Jack, neither have demanded a top six role.......albeit Copp politely stated he was confident in his ability to give it a shot (which is fine). IMO as long as both get 3rd line ice time & usage on special teams (mostly PK, more so Copp) then they should be happy b/c they are 3rd line players. Jack isn't beating out any of our top six wingers (neither is Copp) and Copp hasn't produced at a 2C rate when given the chances........none of that is on PMO, that's on the players.

Reactions: KingBogo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Copp & Jack arent top six players, no one wishes they were more then PMO especially at 2C.......but they aren't at least on this team with our wingers on the top two lines. Neither have been able to capture centre roles on a perm basis. Both look like good 3rd line players (C/W), I can't see either being a top six guy any where.

Niku, is Niku he isn't NHL level at this point, hopefully he has a big year this upcoming year & stays healthy......then we'll see.

Players can complain about usage, but they better have skill level or close to what they need to get the role they want to at least make it debatable. Laine, ok that's a fair discussion to have. Copp, Jack & Niku have nothing to complain about regarding usage........if anything they should take a good look in the mirror before being upset with coaches. To be clear Copp & Jack, neither have demanded a top six role.......albeit Copp politely stated he was confident in his ability to give it a shot (which is fine). IMO as long as both get 3rd line ice time & usage on special teams (mostly PK, more so Copp) then they should be happy b/c they are 3rd line players. Jack isn't beating out any of our top six wingers (neither is Copp) and Copp hasn't produced at a 2C rate when given the chances........none of that is on PMO, that's on the players.

I'm not disagreeing with qny of that. Copp has been given his chances and he is what he is a plus 3rd line player that can defind and produce well in that role.

Roslovic as a player 3 years younger likely feels he can still be a top 6 player in different situation.

Niku hasn't proven anything yet.

Reactions: Hunter368

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
If we trade Laine it better make us a Stanley Cup Champion, because anything else is going to make us look foolish, not only for trading him, but making the organization look like it can't keep it's players happy.

There is a lot of grumbling from Jets players and for a small market in Canada, that's not going to help us attract talent at all. I don't, by any means, want to infer that we need to cater to everyone's needs, but we've moaned about Maurice's roster decisions and his lack of creativity in line makeup, for the entire length of time he's been here.

Man, I'd hate to watch Laine turn into the 6'5" powerhouse that lights up the league for a decade...... on another team.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Always looking at Laine.

Well this team will change 30% of its make up in 3 years.
50% in 5 years.

By the end of it.
Pomo, Wheeler Lowry, Schiefele looks like will retire as a Jets or promoted.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
If we trade Laine it better make us a Stanley Cup Champion, because anything else is going to make us look foolish, not only for trading him, but making the organization look like it can't keep it's players happy.

There is a lot of grumbling from Jets players and for a small market in Canada, that's not going to help us attract talent at all. I don't, by any means, want to infer that we need to cater to everyone's needs, but we've moaned about Maurice's roster decisions and his lack of creativity in line makeup, for the entire length of time he's been here.

Man, I'd hate to watch Laine turn into the 6'5" powerhouse that lights up the league for a decade...... on another team.
Maybe Laine lighting it up on another team would be the impetus to change things up behind the bench

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad