Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Hopefully we see alot of this very soon. :nod: Maybe Laine should grow the beard again. ;) Man i miss going to Jets games. :(

Agreed, looking forward to him scoring a lot of goals.........beard not so much haha.

Reactions: Jets 31

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don’t think Laine moans and groans about top line mins if he’s not put on a line with Eakin at the end of the season.

I think Laine just sees what his captain got by moaning and groaning to be back at wing with his boy Scheifele. Works for him, maybe it will work for me.

And by getting Stastny back, maybe it did to a degree.

CSL was broken up in Feb b/c they were garbage when the team was trying to make a PO push

for the month of Feb prior to Eakin's first game (Feb 23rd)

the top line was: 50 CF%, 12.5 GF%, 44 xGF%.

and CSW got united and played real well. One of the reasons we finished off hot going into the covid pause. (CSW: 55 CF%, 83 GF%, 53 xGF% in the final 8 games)

Where has Wheeler moaned and groaned? or is this just more of ppl on this forum projecting? If anything over the past 12 months, Wheeler has embraced a position change and went out of his way to say Laine on the top line is better for the team.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Tidbit form the athletic

Honestly not surprised. There are young players with a ton of "GOD given talent" who basically float their way into the NHL on that talent, and they never had to break a sweat in whatever league they played in before. Once they get into the NHL they have to adjust and change their level of commitment or at least start having a level of commitment.

Laine is young. He will either do what's required to play and stay in the NHL for a long career, or he will be out of the game sooner than he should be.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
So who does have contacts to Jets in Isles locker room? Ladd? If so not hard to guess the source. Maybe some vet who is afraid a teenager snatches his ice time while not giving ”full effort” in his opinion. This certainly partly explains if Laine wants out. If relationships are so sour that this kind of gossip gets spilled to other team’s locker room something has to give. If there is truth to this gossiping Laine will never sign long term. He arbitrates his way out and I will not blame him for that.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So who does have contacts to Jets in Isles locker room? Ladd? If so not hard to guess the source. Maybe some vet who is afraid a teenager snatches his ice time while not giving ”full effort” in his opinion. This certainly partly explains if Laine wants out. If relationships are so sour that this kind of gossip gets spilled to other team’s locker room something has to give. If there is truth to this gossiping Laine will never sign long term. He arbitrates his way out and I will not blame him for that.
yeah clearly ladd.... scheif/wheeler/buff/little/perreault/lowry obvious ones that played with him

also gotta consider the time line.... perhaps laine wasn't giving full effort in 18-19, which maybe some of the conversations took place, but this year seems like laine had more effort on the ice.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I would be pretty disappointed if our vets are slinging mud about a teammate to members of other orgs. They don't have to like and get along with the person but smack talking a teammate is unprofessional.

Human beings all talk, saying they shouldn’t talk is not realistic IMO. I’m not talking about spamming texting/emailing everyone in the NHL.......but good friends & buddies all talk with each other, there is no team loyalty that way. If true, it’s not 1-2 guys.....it’s multiple guys (according to the quote) and if that’s true then likely there is good reason for it. Smoke = fire with enough evidence.

Key is it true or not, we have no idea. Context always matter.

Reactions: Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Human beings all talk, saying they shouldn’t talk is not realistic IMO. I’m not talking about spamming texting/emailing everyone in the NHL.......but good friends & buddies all talk with each other, there is no team loyalty that way. If true, it’s not 1-2 guys.....it’s multiple guys (according to the quote) and if that’s true then likely there is good reason for it. Smoke = fire with enough evidence.

Key is it true or not, we have no idea

You can talk sure but I've never slagged a coworker to a friend and don't plan on ever doing it. I find it in very poor form.

Anyhow this pause will be a pretty good test for Patrick. He has all the time he needs to make material gains in his skating and strength/conditioning if he puts in the work.

We have heard that Perfetti for instance has gotten quicker and stronger, no reason why Laine can't as well.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
You can talk sure but I've never slagged a coworker to a friend and don't plan on ever doing it. I find it in very poor form.

Anyhow this pause will be a pretty good test for Patrick. He has all the time he needs to make material gains in his skating and strength/conditioning if he puts in the work.

We have heard that Perfetti for instance has gotten quicker and stronger, no reason why Laine can't as well.

I completely agree Laine can change physically or his attitude or whatever he likes during this pause (to be clear I’m claiming he has any issues b/c none of us know). If true, I’m guessing some guys likely have questioned his work habits off ice during the season and training during offseasons. Laine has admitted to poor diet in the past, losing weight (suggesting fat beforehand to some degree), he often has looked gassed on the ice etc.....but as fans it’s all speculation......but there is no fooling the guys in the locker room, they know when a guy is gassed or not, eating healthy or not, in the gym or not. As we’ve all heard many times over the years, guys in the locker room police themselves largely and I have no issue with that. Again I’m not saying anything specifically about any players habits b/c none of us know.

Big difference between childish rumours and calling out a teammate to be more accountable. Saying a guy is out of shape is being honest & accountable, not childish or slinging mud.

Laine has a huge amount of talent, his work ethic is still questionable IMO

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
The interesting fact to me is not who said it, but if it was indeed said and how it factors into the relationship as it is today.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I completely agree Laine can change physically or his attitude or whatever he likes during this pause (to be clear I’m claiming he has any issues b/c none of us know). If true, I’m guessing some guys likely have questioned his work habits off ice during the season and training during offseasons. Laine has admitted to poor diet in the past, losing weight (suggesting fat beforehand to some degree), he often has looked gassed on the ice etc.....but as fans it’s all speculation......but there is no fooling the guys in the locker room, they know when a guy is gassed or not, eating healthy or not, in the gym or not. As we’ve all heard many times over the years, guys in the locker room police themselves largely and I have no issue with that. Again I’m not saying anything specifically about any players habits b/c none of us know.

Big difference between childish rumours and calling out a teammate to be more accountable. Saying a guy is out of shape is being honest & accountable, not childish or slinging mud.

Laine has a huge amount of talent, his work ethic is still questionable IMO

But isn`t this the real point? Yes, players "police themselves" and probably call one another out for a number of things BUT it is normal practise everywhere that everything stays in the Room... Regrettably,it seems that our team leaders,( going back to and including Ladd, and now probably Wheeler) believe that this does not apply to them! There is altogether too much loose talk in the formal pressers; too much loose talk informally but within earshot of the media; and too much loose talk to friends on other teams. I can only guess that Chevy must be apoplectic about this continuing problem.

Reactions: robertocarlos

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
But isn`t this the real point? Yes, players "police themselves" and probably call one another out for a number of things BUT it is normal practise everywhere that everything stays in the Room... Regrettably,it seems that our team leaders,( going back to and including Ladd, and now probably Wheeler) believe that this does not apply to them! There is altogether too much loose talk in the formal pressers; too much loose talk informally but within earshot of the media; and too much loose talk to friends on other teams. I can only guess that Chevy must be apoplectic about this continuing problem.

"Stays in the room" is just another way of saying "stays out of the media". This stuff happens around the league - this isn't the first instance of it, but it is a rare instance where the media gets wind of it.

Reactions: Heldig

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I agree with your position - and it leaves me wondering how bad it has to get before players do start discussing the issue(s) with other players.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I agree with your position - and it leaves me wondering how bad it has to get before players do start discussing the issue(s) with other players.

Perhaps I misunderstand you . I don`t think that the severity of any issue has much ,if anything to do with this. Discussing things with players on other teams is simply bad judgment on the part of whomever is responsible. In this case, the premise is that it is Wheeler talking to Ladd but that is conjecture.

Reactions: surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->