Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If we trade Laine it better make us a Stanley Cup Champion, because anything else is going to make us look foolish, not only for trading him, but making the organization look like it can't keep it's players happy.

There is a lot of grumbling from Jets players and for a small market in Canada, that's not going to help us attract talent at all. I don't, by any means, want to infer that we need to cater to everyone's needs, but we've moaned about Maurice's roster decisions and his lack of creativity in line makeup, for the entire length of time he's been here.

Man, I'd hate to watch Laine turn into the 6'5" powerhouse that lights up the league for a decade...... on another team.

It's impossible to keep everyone happy but at the end of the day I think if people are perceived to have been treated fairly with what is perceived to be equal opportunity based on merit a lot of these issues don't materialize.

I think Maurices roster building views and the whole notion of a seniority based hierarchy is a dying philosophy in this league.

But I think Laine in this case is overreacting. The right move is to work your ass off this summer and make it so Maurice can't give the role back to Wheeler.

Reactions: Roughneck1

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
If we trade Laine it better make us a Stanley Cup Champion, because anything else is going to make us look foolish, not only for trading him, but making the organization look like it can't keep it's players happy.

There is a lot of grumbling from Jets players and for a small market in Canada, that's not going to help us attract talent at all. I don't, by any means, want to infer that we need to cater to everyone's needs, but we've moaned about Maurice's roster decisions and his lack of creativity in line makeup, for the entire length of time he's been here.

Man, I'd hate to watch Laine turn into the 6'5" powerhouse that lights up the league for a decade...... on another team.
We are not Stanley Cup caliber now, so why would you expect a Laine trade to make miracles? As long as a trade makes the team better, I will be content.
The significant malcontents on this team have been relatively few in number--Kane, Trouba and now maybe Laine.
Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Morrissey and Helle have all signed great contracts and appear quite content.
I will miss Laine's scoring if he goes, but I sure won't miss the melodrama. It got old for me about 10.000 posts ago...

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
We are not Stanley Cup caliber now, so why would you expect a Laine trade to make miracles? As long as a trade makes the team better, I will be content.
The significant malcontents on this team have been relatively few in number--Kane, Trouba and now maybe Laine.
Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Morrissey and Helle have all signed great contracts and appear quite content.
I will miss Laine's scoring if he goes, but I sure won't miss the melodrama. It got old for me about 10.000 posts ago...

Completely agree.

Copp & Jack want bigger roles from players who are much more talented then they are, that’s on them not on PMO or any other coach. This is hardly a new thing on deep teams who are at times forced to trade good players.

Laine: Agreed on all your Laine comments. Good player, but no franchise player. Good players are traded. Jets are one of the best top six winger groups in the NHL, it’s questionable strategy to add yet another big cap hit winger long term especially if you acknowledge the Jets prime window is the next four years. If Laine is traded, partly influenced by usage, cap hit, cap situation, his return helps the team win now, etc is likely a timing thing largely.

Reactions: KingBogo and ps241

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
The most logically and best solution moving forward is

Find a trading partner for Wheeler.
To make the team better moving forward.
He cannot carry this team to win a round let alone himself in a playoff.

But yes its remote that its gonna happen......
But we dont know. Things change season to season. See Big Buff.....

Fire away :D

Schiefele Laine Helly Morrissey
Connor Ehlers
And the young up and coming
Should be the core...

Draft and develope....

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
I love Connor and Ehlers

But can they be your top 2 wingers as a contending team in the future?
Over the last 3 years.

Regular season, Connor has 103 goals and 196 points. Laine has 102 goals and 183 points.

Playoffs, Connor has 6 goals and 16 points. Laine has 8 goals and 16 points.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I love Connor and Ehlers

But can they be your top 2 wingers as a contending team in the future?

I think both are just fine to go with in the playoffs if we can bring some different complimentary elements with them.

At the end of the day it's our centers, goaltending and defense that will make or break this teams chances.

If Laine is traded I hope it's to add that missing piece to our defense. I think we have all the components except a top pairing RD to play with JoMo.

Make the defense a strength and this team will have more then enough talent and complimentary pieces on the wings with Ehlers, Conner, Wheeler, Ves, Copp, Harkins, Appelton etc to win.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Good players are traded. Jets are one of the best top six winger groups in the NHL, it’s questionable strategy to add yet another big cap hit winger long term especially if you acknowledge the Jets prime window is the next four years.

Where the hell was this realization years ago when Wheeler's contract was coming up? It was obvious to me back then, but somehow our GM thought he could afford to extend both Blake & Little. I would love to see how they projected that working out for them. Should've cost him his job.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Laine would be great here especially with Cole but if he doesn’t want to be here he doesn’t want to be here.
Now the question is what’s the best return we can get.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I think both are just fine to go with in the playoffs if we can bring some different complimentary elements with them.

At the end of the day it's our centers, goaltending and defense that will make or break this teams chances.

If Laine is traded I hope it's to add that missing piece to our defense. I think we have all the components except a top pairing RD to play with JoMo.

Make the defense a strength and this team will have more then enough talent and complimentary pieces on the wings with Ehlers, Conner, Wheeler, Ves, Copp, Harkins, Appelton etc to win.

In the playoff

Goalie is on top of most important.

All other top line skaters are equally as important. Otherwise better team will break these players down, were you are at weakest in your top players.
Crunch time Connor SCHIEFELE Ehlers.... in the future
These team reached the playoff 3 years in a row.
Moving forward Schiefele and Laine are the 2 better playoff players.

Jets are better
With Laine at the other wing plus one of the players i've mentioned, on the top line.

Currently we only see option to improve the team is by trading Laine, the youngest core player. While there are many other options.

And i know there are already dozen of possibilities in trading Laine. Which if it presents itself they should for a top line D. He is not getting a top line center. Trading for a middle pairing D++ doesn't make this team stronger.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In the playoff

Goalie is on top of most important.

All other top line skaters are equally as important. Otherwise better team will break these players down, were you are at weakest in your top players.
Crunch time Connor SCHIEFELE Ehlers.... in the future
These team reached the playoff 3 years in a row.
Moving forward Schiefele and Laine are the 2 better playoff players.

Jets are better
With Laine at the other wing plus one of the players i've mentioned, on the top line.

Currently we only see option to improve the team is by trading Laine, the youngest core player. While there are many other options.

And i know there are already dozen of possibilities in trading Laine. Which if it presents itself they should for a top line D. He is not getting a top line center. Trading for a middle pairing D++ doesn't make this team stronger.

Well I would rather not trade him as he plays well in the playoffs but if he doesn't want to be here and isn't going to reup long term then he's the one to move.

Simply put we need ehlers to continue to show what he did in the playons and Conner to grow his ability to drive play.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Completely agree.

Copp & Jack want bigger roles from players who are much more talented then they are, that’s on them not on PMO or any other coach. This is hardly a new thing on deep teams who are at times forced to trade good players.

Laine: Agreed on all your Laine comments. Good player, but no franchise player. Good players are traded. Jets are one of the best top six winger groups in the NHL, it’s questionable strategy to add yet another big cap hit winger long term especially if you acknowledge the Jets prime window is the next four years. If Laine is traded, partly influenced by usage, cap hit, cap situation, his return helps the team win now, etc is likely a timing thing largely.

If they move him they need to target the right player/assets.

The biggest holes are top 6 center/top pairing RD.

I think with Stastney and Perfetti we can afford to target that RD piece. We could then flip Pionk for a top 6 RW prior to the expansion draft.

Moving Laine also means we can likely keep both Copp and Lowry around in the $4 aav million range each to anchor the bottom 6 with some of our younger players.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The most logically and best solution moving forward is

Find a trading partner for Wheeler.
To make the team better moving forward.
He cannot carry this team to win a round let alone himself in a playoff.

But yes its remote that its gonna happen......
But we dont know. Things change season to season. See Big Buff.....

Fire away :D

Schiefele Laine Helly Morrissey
Connor Ehlers
And the young up and coming
Should be the core...

Draft and develope....
Wheeler has a full NMC. Seriously any time someone suggests trading a player that has a full NMC they need to also suggest why the player would waive and under what circumstances otherwise it is just wasting people’s time reading.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
If they move him they need to target the right player/assets.

The biggest holes are top 6 center/top pairing RD.

I think with Stastney and Perfetti we can afford to target that RD piece. We could then flip Pionk for a top 6 RW prior to the expansion draft.

Moving Laine also means we can likely keep both Copp and Lowry around in the $4 aav million range each to anchor the bottom 6 with some of our younger players.

If one assumes Laine is traded, the Jets would have at least two significant needs post expansion & post Laine trade. If we assume Stastny & Cole fulfil our 2C needs moving forward. We would need one top 4 D and one top 6 RW as a team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wheeler has a full NMC. Seriously any time someone suggests trading a player that has a full NMC they need to also suggest why the player would waive and under what circumstances otherwise it is just wasting people’s time reading.

As much as I think Wheeler could have been moved around the lineup more he has committed to this franchise and is all in with us.

I dont know how his contract will age but he is a big part of the team and can gradually fade into a more reduced role if need be.

I like Laine and think he could have been used on the top line more prior to this year but enough with the feeling hard done by and taking the easy way out by pouting and asking out to an org that will just give you what you want.

If he really wants that spot then go out and work your ass off and take it. This whole song and dance is getting old. I respect players like Copp who want more but understand that they have to go out and seize it.

I'm at the point now where if we can get a first line RD to play with JoMo hes out the door for him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If one assumes Laine is traded, the Jets would have at least two significant needs post expansion & post Laine trade. If we assume Stastny & Cole fulfil our 2C needs moving forward. We would need one top 4 D and one top 6 RW as a team.

A second line playdriveing RW could be had in Granlund right now via FA if Laine was moved for a top pairing RD in the coming weeks. It isn't so difficult to fill that hole imo.

What Chevy can't do is take a quantity deal that doesn't include a piece that can reasonably be expected to grow into one of those two spots.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
[QUOTE="surixon, post: 174593625, member: 11545"Moving Laine also means we can likely keep both Copp and Lowry around in the $4 aav million range each to anchor the bottom 6 with some of our younger players.[/QUOTE]
Too much...2 x 3.375m is about right. Gus will be filling one of their roles in a couple or 3 years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
[QUOTE="surixon, post: 174593625, member: 11545"Moving Laine also means we can likely keep both Copp and Lowry around in the $4 aav million range each to anchor the bottom 6 with some of our younger players.
Too much...2 x 3.375m is about right. Gus will be filling one of their roles in a couple or 3 years.[/QUOTE]

I'd pay Copp slightly more then Lowry but I agree that I wouldnt want to pay Adam much more then now.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
A second line playdriveing RW could be had in Granlund right now via FA if Laine was moved for a top pairing RD in the coming weeks. It isn't so difficult to fill that hole imo.

What Chevy can't do is take a quantity deal that doesn't include a piece that can reasonably be expected to grow into one of those two spots.

The question of a return on Laine if traded is an interesting debate IMO, I doubt any trade would happen or exist as simple as one for one straight up that maximizes Laine return value........IMO the mostly likely return would be either:

1) Main piece is a significant roster player, plus smaller futures (picks and/or prospect). This helps the team compete more now.

Or

2) Mid ranged roster player, plus significant futures (picks and/or prospects). This helps extend the window longer albeit in the short term the team likely isn't as competitive as option 1, but in the future the return might hold more value assuming the futures largely turn out as planned (this option is also the bigger risk, due to so much value wrapped up in futures).

In the end one could logically debate the benefit of either option......I suspect Chevy would take which ever one presented itself and/or offered the greatest value overall. IMO

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The question of a return on Laine if traded is an interesting debate IMO, I doubt any trade would happen or exist as simple as one for one straight up that maximizes Laine return value........IMO the mostly likely return would be either:

1) Main piece is a significant roster player, plus smaller futures (picks and/or prospect). This helps the team compete more now.

Or

2) Mid ranged roster player, plus significant futures (picks and/or prospects). This helps extend the window longer albeit in the short term the team likely isn't as competitive as option 1, but in the future the return might hold more value assuming the futures largely turn out as planned (this option is also the bigger risk, due to so much value wrapped up in futures).

In the end one could logically debate the benefit of either option......I suspect Chevy would take which ever one presented itself and/or offered the greatest value overall. IMO

I dont have a big issue with a future package if the prospect fits an area of need such as the Patches deal that returned Montreal a bluechip close to NHL ready center prospect in Suzuki.

If we get a blue chip RD prospect such as say Dobson plus from the Islanders for instance I would be very tempted.

What I meant is Chevy just can't get some good winger prospects and a first for him. He needs to target an A asset whether that be an established player or one that can grow into one of our weak areas (center/RD) in the trade return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad