Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Chevy couldn’t let that Stick. Needs laines long term deal to be cheaper.

I do not know what they think. I do not think they would do that.

I only will say what i watched.

Last 10 games when Jets were out of the playoffs.
They should have given Laine the chance on the top line to fight for that rookie of the year. With Ehlers and Schiefele.

I am not saying Laine would have won that ROY, but he would have given Matthews a run for his money then.

But it was the start of Schiefele and Wheeler combo that Mo loved so much for 2.5 years.......

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I do not know what they think. I do not think they would do that.

I only will say what i watched.

Last 10 games when Jets were out of the playoffs.
They should have given Laine the chance on the top line to fight for that rookie of the year. With Ehlers and Schiefele.

I am not saying Laine would have won that ROY, but he would have given Matthews a run for his money then.

But it was the start of Schiefele and Wheeler combo that Mo loved so much for 2.5 years.......
So what happens if Laine challenges.. where are we then?
Does Laine jump at signing a team friendly long term deal when he sees everyone else signing for more? Does he become a consistent 40 goal scorer the next seasons? Does he have more trade value?
What happens then?
I’d like to hear how you think future unfolds. As I think even if Laine is kept on top line nothing changes that’s different from now. Therefore what is gained by thinking about then.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Anyone contrary to TSNE = Hack
Anyone endorsing TNSE = Insider

I've had a few issues with TNSE/Jets management and have been vocal about it here. I had an issue with the team drafting Stanley in the first round, to what I perceive to be static PP. TNSE small market syndrome of being overly loyal to players to their own detriment, so your snide comment is insulting.

Seravalli was throwing out articles of Laine's incoming trade months ago, back in August. He's now throwing it out again 3 months later. How is he not a hack??? When he posts an article for the 4th time and finally gets it right, the bandwagon on Jets HF will say what a great reporter? Give your head a shake.

It's not about being a homer to TNSE or the Jets organisation. I'm against yellow journalism.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
So what happens if Laine challenges.. where are we then?
Does Laine jump at signing a team friendly long term deal when he sees everyone else signing for more? Does he become a consistent 40 goal scorer the next seasons? Does he have more trade value?
What happens then?
I’d like to hear how you think future unfolds. As I think even if Laine is kept on top line nothing changes that’s different from now. Therefore what is gained by thinking about then.

It doesnt matter what signing etc..its not my point.

I just wanted to see then , as he had a chance to compete and was leading Matthews in points for the greater part of the year.
I am only interested in the chances of ROYif given the opportunity at the end.
As it was there.......

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It doesnt matter what signing etc..its not my point.

I just wanted to see then , as he had a chance to compete and was leading Matthews in points for the greater part of the year.
I am only interested in the chances of ROYif given the opportunity at the end.
As it was there.......
And so it doesn’t change anything in the now? So what is the point in thinking bout it? Only person it would have helped is Laine.
If Laine went on a tear it means we get a lower pick.
We could have Chabot instead of KFC in the end all you can do is let them go.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
And so it doesn’t change anything in the now? So what is the point in thinking bout it? Only person it would have helped is Laine.
If Laine went on a tear it means we get a lower pick.

Laine winning or not winning ROY only chages his bonus claus.
Well you think about it
First i was answering a post.
2nd it would have been nice :naughty:, so it won't just have affected Laine. There will many happy Laine's fan around :laugh:

I am not sure if Laine went on a tear would or would not help the Jets get a lower pick. Probably not.
Jets actually were winning at the last 10 games, so Jets got a lower pick. Jets defensive game picked up for some reason when all pressures were off.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I've had a few issues with TNSE/Jets management and have been vocal about it here. I had an issue with the team drafting Stanley in the first round, to what I perceive to be static PP. TNSE small market syndrome of being overly loyal to players to their own detriment, so your snide comment is insulting.

Seravalli was throwing out articles of Laine's incoming trade months ago, back in August. He's now throwing it out again 3 months later. How is he not a hack??? When he posts an article for the 4th time and finally gets it right, the bandwagon on Jets HF will say what a great reporter? Give your head a shake.

It's not about being a homer to TNSE or the Jets organisation. I'm against yellow journalism.

It could also be that people in the league are hearing talk about Laine pick up again as we get closer to the season, and Seravelli heard about that.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Last edited by a moderator:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Sorry you feel that way.
I find that so many here call anyone a hack when it doesn’t suit their narrative.
Laine probably is coveted, why wouldn’t he be?
It’s probably been that way for months.
TSNE probably is listening to offers, I just hope they aren’t making offers.
Seravalli is just doing his job.

Reactions: Klondiker98

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Ok, people lets everyone cut out the hyperbole, b/c when one person/side starts it then other people/side starts it.

You've been warned.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
I guess you might be mistaken as if I remember it correctly, it was not Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine at first, but maybe like Perreault-Scheifele-Laine.

Not sure if even Stafford had a shot on that line.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler was the thing late season after Laine got demoted to the 2nd line and did remain there for almost 3 seasons since.

Well, going by memory but I think it started as Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine and then became Copp-Scheifele-Laine, but only for like 2 periods as Copp got injured. I remember it was a great line for those two periods though... then Perrault replaced Copp and PSL was probably even better than ESL. Perrault back then was still awesome at making things happen at the opponent's side of the ice and when you combine that with offensive skill and finish of Scheifele & Laine - man it was a good line. I would expect modern day ESL to be even better, especially if Laine gets his finishing magic back they could be the best line in the league.

You are right on that though I am not sure whether it was ESL right away after the first game when Little got injured. But that transition from ESL -> CSL -> PSL was like you described if I now remember it correctly. That 16-17 season feels like ancient history already.

Edit: pretty early on they also experimented Wheeler-Scheifele-Laine (or was it Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler) briefly, but while they were effective, that somehow just did not tick all the boxes.

ESL was together:

nov 6 to nov 11 (4,5 games)
nov 15 to nov 19 (2,5 games)
nov 27 to dec 1 (3 games)
dec 15 to jan 7 (9,5 games)
jan 24 (0,5 games)
feb 11 (0,5 games)

Reactions: Howard Chuck

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
I don't remember what number of games it was, but I'm sure all three were the three leaders. I guess I could be mistaken, but I don't think so.

Well seems like you were right...

nov 20 2016

Laine 12 goals (leading the league, shared with Crosby)
Ehlers 14 assists (leading the league, shared with 7 players)
Scheifele 23 points (leading the league)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Seravalli: Don't be surprised if Laine is dealt this season

Seravalli claims that the Jets have decided to trade Laine. How trustworthy is he? Full of da poopoo?
I am not surprised. Laine's agent came out and said it'd be beneficial if they moved on from the Jets, saying they didn't get enough top line minutes. I doubt the Jets want another Trouba-like situation with his refusal to sign long-term here. Neither Chevy or Laine's agent killed any trade speculation when they had the opportunity, i think it's a viable out come that Laine is traded.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I am not surprised. Laine's agent came out and said it'd be beneficial if they moved on from the Jets, saying they didn't get enough top line minutes. I doubt the Jets want another Trouba-like situation with his refusal to sign long-term here. Neither Chevy or Laine's agent killed any trade speculation when they had the opportunity, i think it's a viable out come that Laine is traded.

Unless it was a major haul coming back our way, it would Dumb.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Every agent in the world says stuff like this. Laine is just a big enough deal that it makes the media.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Every agent in the world says stuff like this. Laine is just a big enough deal that it makes the media.
show me the agents of barzal, kc, cirelli, etc any high profile RFA of your choosing that complains about usage and says itd beneficial to split from their current team.....trouba's agent did that actually hmmm

Unless it was a major haul coming back our way, it would Dumb.

no one is saying trade him for cheap. hes a great player, similar to KC in ways (both great at finishing, poor defensively) so id expect if he's traded it be a good package for the Jets.... his contract also is a question mark too though.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
show me the agents of barzal, kc, cirelli, etc any high profile RFA of your choosing that complains about usage and says itd beneficial to split from their current team.....trouba's agent did that actually hmmm

no one is saying trade him for cheap. hes a great player, similar to KC in ways (both great at finishing, poor defensively) so id expect if he's traded it be a good package for the Jets.... his contract also is a question mark too though.

agreed no idea what his ask is

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Well Barzal stated he hoped there would be an offer sheet this year to stir up drama lol.

But yeah you don't hear agents bitch about usage that often but it does happen with players on other teams as well.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Well Barzal stated he hoped there would be an offer sheet this year to stir up drama lol.

But yeah you don't hear agents bitch about usage that often but it does happen with players on other teams as well.

Such drama can be started by players & sometimes by certain douch like agents (Ferris). I don't ever recall Liut uses such tactics in the past, not sure about Scott. Regardless it was an aggressive move & certainly doesn't help any relationship between a player & team......but then again maybe that was the goal who knows. Also we've seen aggressive agents/players to use such tactics in the past to force deals they want to force (contracts/trades).

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Such drama can be started by players & sometimes by certain douch like agents (Ferris). I don't ever recall Liut uses such tactics in the past, not sure about Scott. Regardless it was an aggressive move & certainly doesn't help any relationship between a player & team......but then again maybe that was the goal who knows. Also we've seen aggressive agents/players to use such tactics in the past to force deals they want to force (contracts/trades).

Walsh has always been famous for his aggressive tweets. Remember the MAF with the sword stabbed through him during the playins when Lehner was the starter.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Walsh has always been famous for his aggressive tweets. Remember the MAF with the sword stabbed through him during the playins when Lehner was the starter.

Yup. The question in all these cases is how much knowledge/input did the players have in these actions beforehand, often we never find out.......but I'm sceptical they knew nothing or had nothing to do with it.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yup. The question in all these cases is how much knowledge/input did the players have in these actions beforehand, often we never find out.......but I'm sceptical they knew nothing or had nothing to do with it.

I'm fairly certain an agent doesn't do anything in public without informing and getting their clients consent first. A lot of these things can put their clients in a very awkward position.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->