Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
So far there has been just a lot of BS talk by so called journalists. Many journos genuinely think their job is to stir the pot for the clicks.

New Selänne situation with Laine for the Jets would definitely haunt the franchise for so many years. The lack of commitment shown so far by the coaching staf and management towards Laine may have a dear price, but I am still hopeful everything will be alright next season and after that everything is again alright.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Regardless of all the arguments, I hope we get to watch Laine dominate the league as a Jet.

Just my opinion.

So far there has been just a lot of BS talk by so called journalists. Many journos genuinely think their job is to stir the pot for the clicks.

New Selänne situation with Laine for the Jets would definitely haunt the franchise for so many years. The lack of commitment shown so far by the coaching staf and management towards Laine may have a dear price, but I am still hopeful everything will be alright next season and after that everything is again alright.

I think we are at an important inflection point. I believe the trade market was crap this off season because of the flat cap. Even “if” Laine and the Jets were comfortable parting ways the market was having none of it which I hope was humbling for both the Jets and Laine’s camp. Notice I said if.

Since that early point heading into free agent frenzie where there was so much chatter the Jets have added Stastny and drafted Perfetti. That is a fairly major short term and possibly long term correction in the Jets roster composition. Our centre depth might be going from an organizational weakness to our main organizational strength both now and in the future if Perfetti becomes what I believe he will which is a #1 centre at some point.

Laine will be 23 this season and unless there are injuries he is going to be playing with a great centre no matter what. Setting aside previous grievances about usage and respect It would be a great time for Patrik to take charge on a personal level to become the player he and his fans expect him to become. I believe there is another level.

It’s time.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think both are just fine to go with in the playoffs if we can bring some different complimentary elements with them.

At the end of the day it's our centers, goaltending and defense that will make or break this teams chances.

If Laine is traded I hope it's to add that missing piece to our defense. I think we have all the components except a top pairing RD to play with JoMo.

Make the defense a strength and this team will have more then enough talent and complimentary pieces on the wings with Ehlers, Conner, Wheeler, Ves, Copp, Harkins, Appelton etc to win.
Agreed. Without Laine we would have more than enough high end winger depth to contend, especially if Ves is ready to take the next step. On the other hand I don't think we are yet near deep enough on defense especially the #1 RHD spot. Also we are pretty dependent on Perfetti developing at least as a 1B center.

Reactions: hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Im sorry you missed the run to the conference finals. Wheeler had 21 points in 17 games to lead the Jets in scoring. Laine, Copp and Lowry had 17 points in 17 games combined.
Wheeler and Scheifele were easily our 2 best forwards the year we made it to the conference final.

Reactions: surixon

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Wheeler and Scheifele were easily our 2 best forwards the year we made it to the conference final.

Wheeler only beat a goalie twice during that run. Sorry, that's not going to cut it.

DSP scored more playoff goals for the Caps that year than Blake has in his entire career.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I love Connor and Ehlers

But can they be your top 2 wingers as a contending team in the future?

Of course they can.
Look at who Pittsburgh had when they were winning, or St Louis when they won. Not every team needs a Kane or Kucherov.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

May be. But after Stastny was acquired and on the playoffs the best 5-on-5 line was Stastny line. They did defend very well and did score the same amount of goals, 5-on-5. PP, PK, EN etc. was a different story.

Edit:

On the 17-18 playoffs, Stastny & Laine without Scheifele & Wheeler had +11 -7 =+4
Scheifele & Wheeler without Stastny & Laine had +9 -8 = +1.

Wheeler had 4, Scheifele 5 empty netter goals for, Stastny 1, Laine had 11 seconds TOI against EN, no goals for.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
No forward was as good as Scheif. He set some goals on the road record if I remember correctly?
Buff was a beast.

Stastny was awesome and led the best 5-on-5 line for the Jets on playoffs.

Buff was a beast too.

Little was an unsung hero playing excellent playoffs as a 3rd line center.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Very much true. Unfortunately it's been quite a downward spiral for the 1st line since then. I have a hunch that's mostly due to Wheeler is getting old. He was a top 10 winger for a good chunk of the last decade but unfortunately that hasnt been the case for a while now, which has killed the dominant 1st line he had in 17-18

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
Very much true. Unfortunately it's been quite a downward spiral for the 1st line since then. I have a hunch that's mostly due to Wheeler is getting old. He was a top 10 winger for a good chunk of the last decade but unfortunately that hasnt been the case for a while now, which has killed the dominant 1st line he had in 17-18
I agree that Wheeler may of had his best years already. But if the NHL decides on a 48 game schedule for this season.(if we get one at all) this could be huge for Wheeler as he wouldn’t have to hold back as much to keep himself fresh for the playoffs. Could be huge for lots of older players.

Reactions: Halberdier

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree that Wheeler may of had his best years already. But if the NHL decides on a 48 game schedule for this season.(if we get one at all) this could be huge for Wheeler as he wouldn’t have to hold back as much to keep himself fresh for the playoffs. Could be huge for lots of older players.

That will unfortunately be offset by the games being closer together. I can see there being a lot of 3 games in 4 days AHL type schedule.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Your hunch would be wrong. The biggest impact is losing both of your 2 top RHD in a single season(Buff & Trouba). Wheeler is rated as the 11th best winger in the NHL by NHL.com going into the season ahead of any other Jets winger. All the Jets forwards had trouble out scoring the competition with AHL level replacements playing defense, but the 1st line did better then most of the team in doing so and actually stayed on the positive side.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
May be. But after Stastny was acquired and on the playoffs the best 5-on-5 line was Stastny line. They did defend very well and did score the same amount of goals, 5-on-5. PP, PK, EN etc. was a different story.

Edit:

On the 17-18 playoffs, Stastny & Laine without Scheifele & Wheeler had +11 -7 =+4
Scheifele & Wheeler without Stastny & Laine had +9 -8 = +1.

Wheeler had 4, Scheifele 5 empty netter goals for, Stastny 1, Laine had 11 seconds TOI against EN, no goals for.
Without even going back to look at your numbers are correct but if Wheeler and Scheifele had 9 empty net goals between them this is hardly a criticism. Empty net goals only matter to player first fans, not team first fans. For team first fans this is the difference between winning and losing and having a duo who wrapped up 9 playoff games by finishing it off by holding off the other team and scoring in an empty net this is pure gold.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Your hunch would be wrong. The biggest impact is losing both of your 2 top RHD in a single season(Buff & Trouba). Wheeler is rated as the 11th best winger in the NHL by NHL.com going into the season ahead of any other Jets winger. All the Jets forwards had trouble out scoring the competition with AHL level replacements playing defense, but the 1st line did better then most of the team in doing so and actually stayed on the positive side.

This point is spot on - I find it strange that our elite offensive players are held accountable for our defensive weaknesses.
A decimated D will impact your offensive effectiveness in a bunch of ways and it was obvious while watching games.

We struggled getting puck possession in our own end - especially in the corners or around the net. Were were simply unable to create turnovers or stop a cycle. Teams were aware of this - we founds ourselves trapped on most shifts which translated to a dump into no mans land where the forwards were left to figure it out.

We had very little in the way of a break out game - and I'm referring to well placed passes or Dmen who were capable of carrying the puck if they ever got their hands on it. In most cases, there was nothing left in tank anyway so back to the dump.

Our D also played a soft gap in most situations and handed over the neutral zone most nights. We also made it easy on apposing D's to break out or use the outlet pass to get out of their own end. Our guys were simply not able to apply any pressure on the offensive blue line or join the rush when the opportunity was there. This was likely by design due to not having the skill, speed or size to stand players up on breakouts or zone entries.

Regardless, there has been a constant bombardment of our forwards for being week defensively, poor in their own end, and unable to play a "two way" game. The fact that we won as many games or scored as many goals as we did, is a testament to how good our forwards actually are.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
My hope is with Stastny we go back to having 2 very good scoring lines instead of 1 like we had last season and our defense is better . I think our defense will be better right from the start of the season compared to last season because we have DeMelo but unless one of our young defensemen really flourish i think we need 1 more solid defensemen like DeMelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia