Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
FB_IMG_1605139491465.jpg

During Laine's rookie season.

These 2 was one of the most lethal combo in the league.

Scheifele was being talked about as one of the top 5 C's in the league.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
View attachment 376112

During Laine's rookie season.

These 2 was one of the most lethal combo in the league.

Scheifele was being talked about as one of the top 5 C's in the league.

I think if you look for it, there were three of them with Ehlers being the league leader in assists. It was good looking web page :)

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Seravalli: Don't be surprised if Laine is dealt this season

Seravalli claims that the Jets have decided to trade Laine. How trustworthy is he? Full of da poopoo?

Actually he claims that he *believes* that the Jets have made their decision about Laine, and that he feels the decision is to try to trade him.

So not an insider info or knowledge. Just speculation about what might be the situation. Obviously not completely baseless, but yet again he just cannot know what Chevy is thinking about the trade.

Nothing to be seen here, folks.

Reactions: ryerockarola

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Actually he claims that he *believes* that the Jets have made their decision about Laine, and that he feels the decision is to try to trade him.

So not an insider info or knowledge. Just speculation about what might be the situation. Obviously not completely baseless, but yet again he just cannot know what Chevy is thinking about the trade.

Nothing to be seen here, folks.
Blah, so more of the same useless speculation.

Man, trading Laine's stupid. Don't. We've Perfetti now, Heinola is trending into the right direction...just...some more patience.

Reactions: Halberdier

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Seravalli claims that the Jets have decided to trade Laine. How trustworthy is he? Full of da poopoo?

I like Frank and do believe he’s plugged in. I am not saying he is right but Let’s assume for the sake of discussion he has the general pulse on the part where the Jets want to move on. If Frank is right then why is Laine still a Jet? The only logical answer is the value hasn’t been there yet. Do we expect that to change between now and the start of the season? There Is wanting to make a trade and then there is needing to make a trade so bad you’ll take a bad return.

Reactions: GNP

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Blah, so more of the same useless speculation.

Man, trading Laine's stupid. Don't. We've Perfetti now, Heinola is trending into the right direction...just...some more patience.

Also Stastny is back. I agree let’s play out the season and see how it goes. Value hasn’t been there so onward and upward for both parties.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I like Frank and do believe he’s plugged in. I am not saying he is right but Let’s assume for the sake of discussion he has the general pulse on the part where the Jets want to move on. If Frank is right then why is Laine still a Jet? The only logical answer is the value hasn’t been there yet. Do we expect that to change between now and the start of the season? There Is wanting to make a trade and then there is needing to make a trade so bad you’ll take a bad return.
Agreed that Seravalli would have his sources and no doubt he has heard from them that Chevy was at least open to trading Laine for the right price. What isn't clear is if Chevy was actively seeking a trade or merely listening to offers. It is hard to see what flips the switch one way or the other at this point, but I'm hoping if a trade actually happens it is because a team met Chevy's asking price and not that he lowered it to take the best deal on the table.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's really hard to figure out where things stand, but I think that the various discussions (especially the quotes from Laine's agents) indicate that there was momentum towards a Laine trade. At this point, I think there would probably have to be some factors in place to reverse that momentum and lead to a long-term contract for Laine with the Jets. Those factors would include: 1) Trade market is really down on Laine (Chevy won't trade Laine unless he gets his price); 2) Laine has a strong season and decides that he can succeed long-term in Winnipeg; 3) Laine and the Jets can agree to the right sort of contract.

I would speculate that if the Jets get a trade return that they really like, they'll trade Laine. If not, they'll play things out for another season and hope that either they can close the gap with Laine and re-sign him, or that he raises his trade value further and sparks better trade offers that they like.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't want Laine traded , 2nd overall picks don't come very often especially ones that can score like him but if he is traded Chevy has to knock it out of the park, like performance enhanced out of the park.:laugh:
True 2nd OA picks don't come along everyday, but the current CBA allows all players to be UFAs after 7 seasons if the choose to be. It is a big if, but if Laine does want to be a UFA as early as possible or wants to be on another team he has now completed 4 out of the 7 seasons with the Jets with 1 year on his current contract with arbitration eligibility for the remaining 2 years. While there are several things that could improve or diminish his value over that time but, if he does want out he stops having any trade value after the Jets 2022-23 season ends if he isn't signed beyond that. Only Chevy and Laine's camp knows where he is on that spectrum, but as fans we have to hope Chevy makes the best possible decision along the way even if we wish it didn't have to happen.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This is a player discussion thread, not a trade thread. OT posts will be deleted, if it happens more then once you will get an infraction (original poster that is).

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Agreed that Seravalli would have his sources and no doubt he has heard from them that Chevy was at least open to trading Laine for the right price. What isn't clear is if Chevy was actively seeking a trade or merely listening to offers. It is hard to see what flips the switch one way or the other at this point, but I'm hoping if a trade actually happens it is because a team met Chevy's asking price and not that he lowered it to take the best deal on the table.

Agreed
Soliciting offers FOR and not FROM looks desperate.
Let some GM make that move.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I don't remember what number of games it was, but I'm sure all three were the three leaders. I guess I could be mistaken, but I don't think so.

I guess you might be mistaken as if I remember it correctly, it was not Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine at first, but maybe like Perreault-Scheifele-Laine.

Not sure if even Stafford had a shot on that line.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler was the thing late season after Laine got demoted to the 2nd line and did remain there for almost 3 seasons since.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I guess you might be mistaken as if I remember it correctly, it was not Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine at first, but maybe like Perreault-Scheifele-Laine.

Not sure if even Stafford had a shot on that line.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler was the thing late season after Laine got demoted to the 2nd line and did remain there for almost 3 seasons since.

Well, going by memory but I think it started as Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine and then became Copp-Scheifele-Laine, but only for like 2 periods as Copp got injured. I remember it was a great line for those two periods though... then Perrault replaced Copp and PSL was probably even better than ESL. Perrault back then was still awesome at making things happen at the opponent's side of the ice and when you combine that with offensive skill and finish of Scheifele & Laine - man it was a good line. I would expect modern day ESL to be even better, especially if Laine gets his finishing magic back they could be the best line in the league.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Well, going by memory but I think it started as Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine and then became Copp-Scheifele-Laine, but only for like 2 periods as Copp got injured. I remember it was a great line for those two periods though... then Perrault replaced Copp and PSL was probably even better than ESL. Perrault back then was still awesome at making things happen at the opponent's side of the ice and when you combine that with offensive skill and finish of Scheifele & Laine - man it was a good line. I would expect modern day ESL to be even better, especially if Laine gets his finishing magic back they could be the best line in the league.

You are right on that though I am not sure whether it was ESL right away after the first game when Little got injured. But that transition from ESL -> CSL -> PSL was like you described if I now remember it correctly. That 16-17 season feels like ancient history already.

Edit: pretty early on they also experimented Wheeler-Scheifele-Laine (or was it Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler) briefly, but while they were effective, that somehow just did not tick all the boxes.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
All I know, believe, and feel is that Laine wishes he signed for 6 years at $8 million right about now. I bet he never eats KFC ever again.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC

I think Seravalli is a moron and a hack. It is very unlikely he has any insider information like Button or Mcenzie have. Laine will need a new contract after this year and wants to be paid like a 1st line player and given consistent 1st line minutes. The trade rumors have been mostly media driven, creating smoke in the hopes that a fire begins. Laine could be traded or he might not be..... this idiot is just flipping a coin and hoping it turns up heads.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
You sure have me figured out.
I stand by the idiot and hack comment. He certainly isn't an insider I respect like the 2 I mentioned earlier.

Regardless of what some may think of him, the call is not a stretch by any means when you consider the comments that came from Laine's agent.
When an agent comes out and states it might be better to part ways, you need to realize that someone isn't happy and a trade appears to be one of the solutions. I personally think he's gone - sooner or later and hopefully not too much later for the sake of trade value and return.
They should have kept their mouths shut and worked things out behind the scenes - now the world knows there is smoke and most of these guys will use it until it goes away. Maybe the agent or Laine will come out and clear the air at some point - but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad