Player Discussion: Laine (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I would really love to see how Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine worked now when Ehlers is on fire and is now much more mature with his decisions than on 16-17.

Me too. Murat in the athletic doesn't actually say that, but suggests that 55/26 be split while keeping 55/29 together, so that sort of sounds like 29/55/27 to me.

That would be a deadly line right now I think. All three of those guys are on fire (except for the last game of course).

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
The entire team looked tired especially after watching Brossoit let in a bunch of weak goals . Wheeler had a bad game but so did alot of players . As long as the Jets don't look like that again tonight i'm willing to give them a little slack for playing alot of games in a short period of time . This is game 8 tonight for the Jets and only game 5 for the Coyotes as a example .

Yeah. A lot of games in a short period of time, and a B2B game which they actually started really strong. Not really a surpise that old man got gassed out there. He tends to play too high TOI anyway, and at that age it's much harder to stay fresh.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
We live in an imperfect world, and in general sports journalists are really, really bad. Clickbaits are the norm, and even more common are those hot takes with disgusting recency bias esp. on NA media. In comparison to others, I personally find Seppälä to be pretty good. Not perfect by any means, but pretty good anyway. He manages to stay relatively reasonable unlike most hockey journalists in Finland and in North America.

All media is suspect to me, I love what was posted above because it contained in context actual quotes. Not sound bites or paraphrasing. I like to hear right from the source or it's not reporting to me.

I love Laine sticking up for himself, saying not to mistake his confidence for arrogance.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah. A lot of games in a short period of time, and a B2B game which they actually started really strong. Not really a surpise that old man got gassed out there. He tends to play too high TOI anyway, and at that age it's much harder to stay fresh.

Wheeler does an amazing job at keeping fit, but there is no substitute for youth :)

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
Laine was partly to blame for the goal against he tried to knock puck down and it ended up to opponent in front of the net. Unlucky, but he seemed uninterested to go after the puck. Or he trusted too much to Poolman to clear it.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Laine was partly to blame for the goal against he tried to knock puck down and it ended up to opponent in front of the net. Unlucky, but he seemed uninterested to go after the puck. Or he trusted too much to Poolman to clear it.

I remember that Laine went straight after the puck after knocking it down, but Crosby was able to score even when down. It was like 4am, and I haven't checked the replay so I might just remember it wrong. Maybe Poolman was there and not Laine?

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Laine has had 2 not very good games in a row. I hope he plays with Ehlers and Gus after Chef and Wheels go on their work to rule strike again tonight.

Reactions: Mbraunm

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Screenshot_20191016-025750_TSN.jpg
Screenshot_20191016-025725_TSN.jpg
Screenshot_20191016-025750_TSN.jpg
Screenshot_20191016-025725_TSN.jpg
Screenshot_20191016-025635_TSN.jpg

Laine so far looking good, 7 games in.

Top 10 scorer
Best takeaway
Hits amongst the top forwards!
Block shots? Wow

For me he needs to find 1-2 more shots a game.

Keep it up Patty
2nd star of the week!!

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I really don’t see the issue in swapping Ehlers and Laine. Ehlers has been more consistent this year and elevates his line mates. Laine isn’t quite there yet and that’s ok. He will get there.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
I don’t see any issue in swapping Laine and Ehlers. Laine played a lot better on the 2nd line with a winger that got something done on the ice

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I really don’t see the issue in swapping Ehlers and Laine. Ehlers has been more consistent this year and elevates his line mates. Laine isn’t quite there yet and that’s ok. He will get there.

Yeah but Wheeler is the weakest link in it now, not Laine. Ehlers should replace Wheeler if we are looking for offense when trailing.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yeah but Wheeler is the weakest link in it now, not Laine. Ehlers should replace Wheeler if we are looking for offense when trailing.

Based on your very bias opinion maybe. But Wheeler and Scheif are proven and still producing. A few good games for Laine doesn’t suddenly change that. You’re putting way too much stock into one bad game where most of the team was shit.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
A few more games and Laine will be warmed up from missing preseason.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Based on your very bias opinion maybe.

Based on facts. Laine was the 2nd star of the week, Wheeler has been awful two games in a row. Started strong but gassed out in the last 2. If you are seeing anything else out there. I'd say that's where you will find bias. The stats don't lie, the eyes confirm it. There is nothing but name keeping Wheeler in that 1st at the moment, and when the team is short on goals, they REALLY should try to get the best out of their best and that would happen by giving them something other than Wheeler to work with, when he can't pass to his linemates if his life depended on it. Usually he is good, but he has looked blind last 2 games.

You'll have to explain where you see bias. Hasn't the argument been that one needs to earn that 1st line spot. Wheeler is not earning it. Ehlers and Laine have earned it. Some facts below:

View attachment 264811 View attachment 264813 View attachment 264811 View attachment 264813 View attachment 264815

Laine so far looking good, 7 games in.

Top 10 scorer
Best takeaway
Hits amongst the top forwards!
Block shots? Wow

For me he needs to find 1-2 more shots a game.

Keep it up Patty
2nd star of the week!!

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
Based on your very bias opinion maybe. But Wheeler and Scheif are proven and still producing. A few good games for Laine doesn’t suddenly change that. You’re putting way too much stock into one bad game where most of the team was ****.

Whatever the reason might be the 1st line has not been good with Laine on it, not even in that game where he got those 3 assists. I think Laine has been skating, back- and forechecking and passing the puck just like in the games he played on the 2nd line. But with Connor they created a lot more scoring chances than with Wheeler.
Maybe Wheeler is just tired after the training camp, the busy schedule the Jets have had and the heavy minutes and things will get better ? If not, then then should put Ehlers on that line if it is a chemistry thing.

And yes, I still would love to see Wheeler and Scheiff separated. JUST GIVE IT A TRY FFS !!!

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Whatever the reason might be the 1st line has not been good with Laine on it, not even in that game where he got those 3 assists. I think Laine has been skating, back- and forechecking and passing the puck just like in the games he played on the 2nd line. But with Connor they created a lot more scoring chances than with Wheeler.
Maybe Wheeler is just tired after the training camp, the busy schedule the Jets have had and the heavy minutes and things will get better ? If not, then then should put Ehlers on that line if it is a chemistry thing.

And yes, I still would love to see Wheeler and Scheiff separated. JUST GIVE IT A TRY FFS !!!

Laine still has some work he can do as the season goes on. He’s barely scraping the surface this year on what he can bring to the team. Right now he’s probably the biggest beneficiary of playing with Scheif who has been absolutely dominant most nights.

At some point i want to see 29-55-27. That line could be lethal. Scheif benefits from Ehlers and Laine benefits from Scheif. The question will be if Laine and Ehlers can finally click because they have struggled together in the past.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Laine still has some work he can do as the season goes on. He’s barely scraping the surface this year on what he can bring to the team. Right now he’s probably the biggest beneficiary of playing with Scheif who has been absolutely dominant most nights.

At some point i want to see 29-55-27. That line could be lethal. Scheif benefits from Ehlers and Laine benefits from Scheif. The question will be if Laine and Ehlers can finally click because they have struggled together in the past.

Could just throw Perreault there.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

I think he should get at least 10 games there wih consistant ice time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad