Player Discussion: Laine (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Morrissey did that a few times last night too. Laine was completely open by himself and the pass went to Wheeler with two guys on him.

It is a longer and a bit riskier pass to Laine, and Josh is still a defensive defenseman. I would like to see Pionk or even Heinola there if Niku is unavailable.

I still think they should abuse the opponents tactics to overcrowd Laine, and put Scheifele on the right boards and Wheeler either in the bumper spot or behind the net. When you have a shooter on both sides, they can't favor covering one without leaving the other one more room and time. Wheeler is more efficient close to the net than he is from any distance, so put him close to the net banging in rebounds and taking short shots.

Behind the net would work too, he could offer a pass to Laine better than Connor can due to being right handed shot. Connor in bumper spot would put jets top 3 shooters in front of net and scoring distance.

Last edited by a moderator:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
It is a longer and a bit riskier pass to Laine, and Josh is still a defensive defenseman. I would like to see Pionk or even Heinola there if Niku is unavailable.

I still think they should abuse the opponents tactics to overcrowd Laine, and put Scheifele on the right boards and Wheeler either in the bumper spot or behind the net. When you have a shooter on both sides, they can't favor covering one without leaving the other one more room and time. Wheeler is more efficient close to the net than he is from any distance, so put him close to the net banging in rebounds and taking short shots.

Yes, the same place where Laine shouldn't be. Laine being in his office or somewhere at perimeter indirectly make more room at the front of the net, by forcing defense to cheat toward him, but if no good quality shots come to the goal, neither masking role nor potential for rebounds can actualize.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011

Behind the net would work too, he could offer a pass to Laine better than Connor can due to being right handed shot. Connor in bumper spot would put jets top 3 shooters in front of net and scoring distance.
NHL Player Stats in Last 5 Seasons

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
If people figure Buff didn't pass to Laine enough i got news for you , he's the ONLY defenseman that could and would pass to Laine on the PP . No other defenseman on the team can get the pass over fast enough or accurate enough to take advantage of the Laine one-timer .

I tend to agee with that sentiment. How many times I've been yelling to Buff "Pass to Laine!" during PPs, but at least that great pass has come sometimes, resulting goals too.

Anyway, Having Buff back in the roster is thousandfold more important to Jets overall defense than more effective PP, IMO.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
If we have top 3 in the world in doing something. His shot i believe is either the best or 2nd best. But he has a lot of arsenal also.

With that i think Jets should try to find him more shots.
1,2,3(sometimes) a game is not enough.
He is pretty accurate also.

So logically more goals will come.

Im very happy with how Laine is progressing, but hopefully he won't lose the rarest skill of them all, pure goal scorer.

Go Jets Go

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
G'damn! Can 55 and 26 please stop rushing the zone on Laines entries? This is getting ridiculous with the offsides. You would think these guys would be smart enough to adapt to Laine. He likes the slower entry and he's got the skill set to dangle through and create some gap ala Gretzky ;) 26 and 55 seem so damn dense sometimes.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary
G'damn! Can 55 and 26 please stop rushing the zone on Laines entries? This is getting ridiculous with the offsides. You would think these guys would be smart enough to adapt to Laine. He likes the slower entry and he's got the skill set to dangle through and create some gap ala Gretzky ;) 26 and 55 seem so damn dense sometimes.
That line is pure 26-55 Laine needs to adapt to them continue developing but God damn does he look good this yr

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
That line is pure 26-55 Laine needs to adapt to them continue developing but God damn does he look good this yr
Disagree. Laine doesn't have the speed off the line like those guys. 55 and 26 will have to adapt or I don't see it working. Laine isn't going to be a north/south speedster.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Disagree. Laine doesn't have the speed off the line like those guys. 55 and 26 will have to adapt or I don't see it working. Laine isn't going to be a north/south speedster.
But they don't go for the net, they speed a breakout and then dump and chase. Laine as a trailing shooter can work with that.

If they were speeding and taking it to the net, then there could be an issue

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
If people figure Buff didn't pass to Laine enough i got news for you , he's the ONLY defenseman that could and would pass to Laine on the PP . No other defenseman on the team can get the pass over fast enough or accurate enough to take advantage of the Laine one-timer .
I agree that maybe buff passed less, but tried to find a perfect pass or something. Even tho I remember some times him giving bad ones that cant even be shot from, still he also gave some really good ones. I think Heinola would be able to give good passes but we will see if he gets to PP some time.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
As is so often the case, people don't realize how good they had it with something until that something is no longer there. :(

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I know Laine is a good passer, but oh my, the possibilities when he can do tape to tape passes... while being a kinda good scorer. I'm almost giddy (I don't even use the word) when he's been doing both.

And the casual goal in the shootout. Like "Nah, I don't want to do Barkov moves to impress people", "maybe I'll just shoot it to the net". Suits us, if we need a goal in the shootout, if it's in, I don't mind if Patrik shoots it in from the blue line or close by.

I'll say it though, the way he shoots the puck... if there's only a goalie in front of him. The goalie should be afraid.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Come on, Buff was NOT a good passer on the PP. Buff was excellent on keeping the line and being a "presence" on the PP, but what is this talk about those nice Buff feeds to Laine? They were non-existent and in general he was not that good a puck distributor on the PP. Based on the couple PPs I saw last night, Pionk is definitely better at that and the gap will just grow if he gets regular minutes in that PP. I bet Niku and Heinola would also do a better job with the puck.

Reactions: Halberdier

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I like to see Pionk stay on PP1 seems to be able to find Laine a bit more than Morrissey for the one timer I feel the PP flows better with all players are right handed shot sans Connor The PP2 seems to be basically the left handed version.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I like to see Pionk stay on PP1 seems to be able to find Laine a bit more than Morrissey for the one timer I feel the PP flows better with all players are right handed shot sans Connor The PP2 seems to be basically the left handed version.

Morrissey should stay off both power plays, he is a defensive d-man and just isn’t good on the PP. He already has a ton of ice-time and is signed long term so it shouldn’t be that big a deal on a personal level either.

I think Maurice has been brave with limiting Morrissey’s PP time even though he’s got the seniority to be there.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Since we are discussing Laine and the PP, the one time I saw Heinola on the PP, he drew the entire opposing team to him opposite Laine's position (moved towards Wheeler's side), didn't make any moves to pass to whoever was in Laine's position, but did. That play is etched in my mind.... why our PP D doesn't do that regularly, I have no idea. But it was brilliant.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Morrissey should stay off both power plays, he is a defensive d-man and just isn’t good on the PP. He already has a ton of ice-time and is signed long term so it shouldn’t be that big a deal on a personal level either.

I think Maurice has been brave with limiting Morrissey’s PP time even though he’s got the seniority to be there.
He has quarterbacked the power play on pretty much every team he has played on.
Buff is/was the best passer on the team.

Reactions: Jets 31

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

I agree that maybe buff passed less, but tried to find a perfect pass or something. Even tho I remember some times him giving bad ones that cant even be shot from, still he also gave some really good ones. I think Heinola would be able to give good passes but we will see if he gets to PP some time.

As is so often the case, people don't realize how good they had it with something until that something is no longer there. :(

Come on, Buff was NOT a good passer on the PP. Buff was excellent on keeping the line and being a "presence" on the PP, but what is this talk about those nice Buff feeds to Laine? They were non-existent and in general he was not that good a puck distributor on the PP. Based on the couple PPs I saw last night, Pionk is definitely better at that and the gap will just grow if he gets regular minutes in that PP. I bet Niku and Heinola would also do a better job with the puck.

Nostalgia... Laine has scored exactly 3 one timer goals out of 4 total Buff 1st assists on 5v4. Not a single one timer goal with Buff in his normal pp position...

Edit:
11/10/2017
16/02/2018
21/11/2018

Edit2.
Plus 1 playoff goal

Edit3.
Double checked while I was looking at Buff pp goals and there's one more 5v4 Buff-Laine one-timer goal 04/03/2018 at MTL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad