Player Discussion: Laine (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
But debating whos should stay with Schiefele we can see who should be in line 1 going forward.

Anyways coach doesnt look good if he (keeps) moving everybody around last 2 years+ except the 2.
In the eyes of the players, it's called bias.

Im ok with
Laine xxx Wheeler
Maybe not Little in the middle :)

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

I know its harder to get Laine this kind of pass than it looks.

But hope they can do this more.

That is top shot, almost illegal as you can get someone hospitalize, if you get hit by it.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Who would have thought this at the beginning of the year? :D

Screenshot_20191016-124903_NHL.jpg

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
Patrik Laine avaa taustat NHL-kauden tulikuumalle alulleen – huippulahjakkuus kääri hihansa kesän tärkeän tapaamisen jälkeen: "Luulin aiemmin tehneeni kaukalossa hommia"

New interview by Laine, its quite long , i don't have time to translate it now but he talks about the summer and turning point he had when Maurice came to Finland he got more motivated, he said it was a good meeting that coach came by, he really think it was important meeting. They talked about life in general, Maurice open to him about his own things and Laine vice versa to him. I don't personally like PMO but i guess this is something have to give him props of, he did something right atleast!

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
In all honesty assits aside, IMHO Patriks hands arent there yet missing a lot of passes and not winning many board battles last 2-3 games and his skating acceleration is still just as bad as last season. He has rely regressed the last games, very very frustrating to watch...

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
In all honesty assits aside, IMHO Patriks hands arent there yet missing a lot of passes and not winning many board battles last 2-3 games and his skating acceleration is still just as bad as last season. He has rely regressed the last games, very very frustrating to watch...

What do you mean by "missing a lot of passes"?

I guess he stole ~3 pucks tonight, one about 30 seconds to the game. I am never frustrated when I see a player playing well and trying. He could have a couple of more goals, that's for sure. But he just needs to continue exactly like in those 8 first games apart from 1st period on game 6 and last half of game 7. He will be rewarded if he plays that way and continues with his defensive play, which btw. was night and day compared to other young TOP-6 wingers against Coyotes. Patience is needed for Patty. More goals and points will follow when he continues like this.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I guess he stole ~3 pucks tonight, one about 30 seconds to the game. I am never frustrated when I see a player playing well and trying. He could have a couple of more goals, that's for sure. But he just needs to continue exactly like in those 8 first games apart from 1st period on game 6 and last half of game 7. He will be rewarded if he plays that way and continues with his defensive play, which btw. was night and day compared to other young TOP-6 wingers against Coyotes. Patience is needed for Patty. More goals and points will follow when he continues like this.

I agree you have to let him play through it more this season. No player knocks it out of the park every game he just needs to manage his effort level and compete. It’s important that he doesn’t get too down on himself during the dry spells.....battle through the tough times and this will all work out really well.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

I know its harder to get Laine this kind of pass than it looks.

But hope they can do this more.

That is top shot, almost illegal as you can get someone hospitalize, if you get hit by it.

I've been saying it a million times. This should be the #1 play. It should happen 1-2 times every PP.

All these posts he's hitting hurt my heart, although this one did result into a goal

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
I've been saying it a million times. This should be the #1 play. It should happen 1-2 times every PP.

All these posts he's hitting hurt my heart, although this one did result into a goal

Pretty sure it is. But it isn't that easy to just pass Laine. Thats why they need something else too so opponents can't just play Laine out. If they Focus too much on Laine, someone else is gonna score.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Exactly. That easy short D-to-Laine pass was the primary weapon on FEL and on Team Finland as well. And it's not a secret that Capitals is doing pretty much exactly the same with Ovie.

Not a rocket science, but somehow it has taken 3 seasons and counting for Maurice to figure that out.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Pretty sure it is. But it isn't that easy to just pass Laine. Thats why they need something else too so opponents can't just play Laine out. If they Focus too much on Laine, someone else is gonna score.
I've witnessed Buff skip that option 10000 times during the last 3 years. It's been there. Just not taken as often as it should be.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I've witnessed Buff skip that option 10000 times during the last 3 years. It's been there. Just not taken as often as it should be.

It wasn't only on Buff though. If they just refuse to move the puck on PP and just keep it at either Wheeler of Buff very static, even that short pass to Laine is not that easy to do.

When they do as they always should -- which is moving the puck -- those short passing lanes will be open most of the time, and if they aren't, someone (Scheifele, Connor, Wheeler) has got a loads of space to capitalize.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
It wasn't only on Buff though. If they just refuse to move the puck on PP and just keep it at either Wheeler of Buff very static, even that short pass to Laine is not that easy to do.

When they do as they always should -- which is moving the puck -- those short passing lanes will be open most of the time, and if they aren't, someone (Scheifele, Connor, Wheeler) has got a loads of space to capitalize.

True. But they would Benedict greatly If they had someone in blue line who could move puck well. I dunno, maybe true Heinola there

Reactions: Halberdier

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
True. But they would Benedict greatly If they had someone in blue line who could move puck well. I dunno, maybe true Heinola there

Yup, Heinola would be really nice there.

Your autocorrection though ;-)

Benedict -> benefit
true -> try

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

I agree with the other poster - he did miss passes last night especially in the mid-ice that at least seemed like they were decent/oki'sh. That's not in his habit though so I'm not worried about one game. He also did a lot of good things even if it wasn't one of his best performances. His shot accuracy has been below the norm as well, but since Laine's always aiming for the corners so more often than not it's abound to stay out rather than go in. After all I doubt there's a single player in the team who has as many posts in the recent years. Going back to the game, during one of those powerplays I don't know why Dahlström was there (like wtf?) but Laine was completely open at his slot and the entire defence & goalkeeper was positioned in the middle. If he had made a fast accurate pass to Laine at that moment I'd give it a 55-60% chance the puck would've been in the net. Yet of course Dahlström decided the best option was to shoot into the crowd or was too slow and blind to check the lanes.

He's been getting a lot of assists and even against the Coyotes he got one by Scheifele burying the the puck that bounced back from the post. So even if the PP hasn't worked as well as last year, at least he's still a huge threat, probably the best you can get (league-wise). Too bad he missed that 4 minute penalty cause that was the deal-breaker and they desperately needed him. Generally I simply cannot fathom how Maurice still doesn't play him for the both powerplay units, like Ovy is being deployed in the Caps. I'd argue Laine having even better shot than Ovy and having better vision and passing to find other players. Not utilizing your most lethal weapon to it's fullest is just sheer stupidity and waste of resources.

The Jets have been struggling and losing games. We all know Scheifele and Wheelers will never be broken because Wheelers more or less has the last say on the matter. What I fear the most is Connor being promoted to replace Laine, cause Laine and Connor is twice the better combo than Laine and Ehlers. The latter just doesn't work as we've seen so many times. Ehlers hasn't been playing great with SW lately so this is yet another potential peril they could be moving toward, cause Maurice just sees things that aren't there. The real problem isn't the first line or second line but the defence that seems utterly incapable of making quick opening passes and instead gets stuck trying to fight of the forecheckers and every team (by now) knows as much and they are making the most out of it. Heinola isn't even dressed despite of probably being the best D man what comes down to actually delivering those passes, so there's that. PMo's just making things worse and once again the irony is the fact he doesn't even realize it.

Ah well, no idea for Little's ETA but I'm still trying to remain optimistic that they are done with the ELL the very least. Though if I see that line even just one more time, I'm probably going to start counting days until Laine's RFA years are behind him.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

That is very true, every team has a special plan for Laine and it's different from any other player that I can think of. Teams generally allow passes to and shots from the left point and side, I watched 3 games last night (Jets, Jerks and Canucks games) and the teams do not cover the left side shooter nearly as much in any other team.

But that should leave much more room for others. I would switch Wheeler and Scheifele roles, put Blake in front of net and Scheifele as the shooter/playmaker on right side. He can actually score from there, so they would have to pay attention to his shot as well as pass. With Wheeler, they just cover the passing lane to Laine and let Wheeler tee up because he hardly ever can score from that distance. Scheifele can much better, and he is also the better playmaker so the plays should run mainly through him. He'd find Laine better too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Board Bard

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Wheeler has had success in the past in front of the net. If we ever ran something where he went there it could open some more passing and shooting lanes and also allow Laine to shoot for deflections if need be.

Reactions: Board Bard

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
That is very true, every team has a special plan for Laine and it's different from any other player that I can think of. Teams generally allow passes to and shots from the left point and side, I watched 3 games last night and the teams do not cover the left side shooter nearly as much in any other team.
No need to cover point or Wheeler, neither have good shooters. Just sit on Patrik's lap and wait. So annoying.

Reactions: 204hockey

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Wheeler has had success in the past in front of the net. If we ever ran something where he went there it could open some more passing and shooting lanes and also allow Laine to shoot for deflections if need be.

Not yet watched more than last two games this season (worst ones?), but basing also to old experience Jets PP might be more effective from Laine's part if he would switch side more often in PPs occasionally starting at right and moving to left, preferably with puck, as that seems to be good way to put defenders into a motion and open more passing lanes both Laine himself but also to others. Laine's special marking/guarding essentially cause that movement as PK try nearly always obstruct direct shooting lanes from Laine. More horizontal movement from him and swapping spots with other PP-Jets could bring some desired results.

Generally, it seems that passes to Laine's office have tended to be 0.5-1 seconds too late for him to make uncovered SOG. Anything that can give that extra time for Laine would likely improve his goal scoring efficiency. Its almost certain that there doesn't exist a team in NHL which video scout wouldn't have made a reel about Laine in PP, for what to do with him, and what not to do. Its also probable that such projects originate at least in some cases from experiences of a team's goalies.

"Whatever you guys may do during PKs, just remember to keep that Laine's office window shut. When a sparrow fly out from there, I can't even see it."

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
No need to cover point or Wheeler, neither have good shooters. Just sit on Patrik's lap and wait. So annoying.
yep when they put laine there cpl games ago he got 2 good shots and almost scored and the goalie was scrambling if thats wheeler its in the crest and whistled down lol. he has a good shot when hes skating in just not good from stationary. and as much as i wanted morrisey to man the point his shot and decisions havent been good this season there.

wheeler shld go in conners spot connor in wheelers and hope morrisey adjusts

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Sorry why do we use this word so much with Laine?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->