Player Discussion: Laine (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Sure Laine scored plenty of goals back then, but back then he was far from the level he's been now at any other aspects of the game. He skates and works harder than before. I think he just said so himself.

Of course, he is 3 years older and better. Back then he kept a 1.3+ ppg for months with Scheifele. Lets see if he can keep 2 ppg pace now ;)

So far so good, and he's only played 2,5 games in the 1st line.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Why can’t we just be happy that we are at this point in his development? Whatever happened in the past is past. I just want to enjoy watching him develop further and be a very important piece of the Jets.

this what we waited for.

As time has shown, whatever happened in the past is like watching Maurice in the future. Let's hope he gives Laine some rein and that Laine makes the most of it.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
It is amazing what healthy back can do for a player. He is shooting from all positions including the ones where he needs to turn his torso quite much. Need healthy back for that.

Reactions: Nate070

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Lots of people who could have done the deke, way fewer who could have made that shot. That deke is very good news going forward though, it’s something Laine has occasionally done but has very seldom resulted in a goal.
It not just the deke though, it’s the perfect saucer pass right at the end of it.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Sure Laine scored plenty of goals back then, but back then he was far from the level he's been now at any other aspects of the game. He skates and works harder than before. I think he just said so himself.

True, but that "what happened in 16-17" was good argument against that horsecrap that Laine was not good enough to play with Scheifele, as he certainly was.

There is a reason to be extremely happy just now, but hearing that "Maurice's secret is that you have to produce on 1st line to stay there" is very tiresome as it's actually 99% bullcrap argument describing how Laine's usage was somehow fair or legit in the past -- it was not, sorry. Maurice was full of crap with that (and with many other guys as well).

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
One day we'll be left wondering how many spots Maurice cost Laine on the all-time scoring list.
To be fair

Last year Laine and Maurice could have done better on both their side. So i dont know on year 3.

Year 2: we can say 3 more extra minutes per game? Few more goals and points. But Jets got him a perfect C for him at the end there.

Year 1: here is my complain :)
Jets were out already and Laine is in a close race with Matthews in scoring . A Little help their would have been nice. Lining with Schiefele and Wheeler. Matthews would probably win just because ( center :confused: toronto :eek: )but if Laine was ahead in scoring, that would have been a good debate.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Scheifele took off in his 4th year. This is Laine's 4th year.

Yes, Scheifele is kind of prototype player here, as he was not only good starting at 21-year-old, but hit PPG and his prime as 23-year-old, on his 6th season. On average, forwards tend to hit their prime roughly at 23 years old, stay there roughly 5-6 seasons.

Laine was fully aware of that at 18-year-old, and he said it will take several years of development for him, and if I remember it correctly, he said 5 years, which would match that 23-year-old perfectly.

They also had a multi year plan to turn that ridiculously thin stick man/boy into a beast, and while they still aren't quite there, he has taken tremendous steps. My brother said before his rookie season that Laine definitely should not play NHL 16-17, since he just do not have the muscles to cope up with grown up adults. He was correct about his muscles, but Laine was able to outsmart his opponents even on NHL level, and that made him effective even before his "beast mode" could be activated due to him being very raw on physical department.

So just fasten the seatbelts firmly when season 21-22 starts and enjoy the ride :)

Reactions: Howard Chuck

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
This rhetoric is getting old.

Paul has his downsides but overall this team is the best and the most exciting it's ever been under him.

We are lucky to have him.

No matter which team you look at there are people calling for the coaches job. In reality there are people far more knowledgeable making the choices here. Lucky for us.

There are so many flaws in the first argument I don't know where to even begin. We could start a conversation about this team being at it's "peak" maybe but that would derail the discussion.

"People far more knowledgeable about making the choices" - like a coach with the most losses in the history of the NHL or like Blake Wheelers perhaps? That's certainly an interesting point of view, but again off the topic. I would say maybe 70-80% of the fans here would disagree at this point just based on the amount of talk about replacing the coaching staff, or at least Maurice over the years. Nevermind actually arguably having the most depth compared to almost any team in the league aside from maybe the Bolts the past two seasons without even making to the Finals. Smart coaches know how to exploit the depth but the Jets have been a one line team since as far as I can remember (starting from 16-17).

Alright enough of this, I'll just leave it to that since I'm at a good mood for a change. :laugh:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The 'one-trick pony' has shown a few more tricks. How many, you ask?

Last season: 12 non-PP assists in 82 games

This season: 6 non-PP assists after 5 games

*from Puck Data, Andrew Berkshire, WFP

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I don't know where to look, so I'll just ask you guys... what has the TOI been for Laine this year? Has it been increased from the start or is it steady from first to the last game we had? Thanks.

SirKlaus

Nov 8, 2017
This five game stretch out of the gate has been the most complete I've seen him play since entering the league. We could be afterwise and perhaps some even butthurt about his usage over the previous seasons but I believe a true talent always should shine through whatever the circumstances. Last year was bit of a stinker and he himself has made comments that indicate that maybe the engagement level wasn't up there where it should be. This season he seems to have put on the big boys skates and here's hoping this is the base for years to come.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The 'one-trick pony' has shown a few more tricks. How many, you ask?

Last season: 12 non-PP assists in 82 games

This season: 6 non-PP assists after 5 games

*from Puck Data, Andrew Berkshire, WFP
And only two games on the top line? Maybe 2.5?

patrik says “wait, just hold my beer”.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
As time has shown, whatever happened in the past is like watching Maurice in the future. Let's hope he gives Laine some rein and that Laine makes the most of it.
you should be thanking Maurice it took him 3 years to get the junior hockey out of laine's game and start playing in much straighter lines and competing much harder in all areas of the ice and all he had to do was tell him until you do what I want you wont see the top line. good for paul and good for laine for realizing that he wasn't good enough and had to change some things up.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
you should be thanking Maurice it took him 3 years to get the junior hockey out of laine's game and start playing in much straighter lines and competing much harder in all areas of the ice and all he had to do was tell him until you do what I want you wont see the top line. good for paul and good for laine for realizing that he wasn't good enough and had to change some things up.

Yeah that's not how it went but you can keep that fantasy if you feel it saves face. Laine progressed naturally, but he was this guy in 16-17 and the coach forced him into an ill fitting role with an ill fitting center for most of those seasons and that's when he was mediocre.

Maurice held him and the Jets back, you're not going to make him a hero in this story. Maurice needs to be called out, it's not just the players job to try and improve all the time. You're allowed to absolve him of his sins but I don't buy the narrative you're trying to sell because it doesn't fit with the evidence.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Yeah that's not how it went but you can keep that fantasy if you feel it saves face. Laine progressed naturally, but he was this guy in 16-17 and the coach forced him into an ill fitting role with an ill fitting center for most of those seasons and that's when he was mediocre.

Maurice held him and the Jets back, you're not going to make him a hero in this story. Maurice needs to be called out, it's not just the players job to try and improve all the time. You're allowed to absolve him of his sins but I don't buy the narrative you're trying to sell because it doesn't fit with the evidence.
No sins were committed and laine has progressed exactly like ehlers connor scheifele Lowry copp Morrissey trouba keep going down the list exactly as maurice has developed them. Sorry but that's the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad