Player Discussion: Laine (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Contract millions do not prevent Maurice to regress back to his confort zone in that same moment when Laine go through a slump. While hoping there won't happen bad slumps anymore, I'm still pessimist. When Laine scored those 18G last year in a month I was already made rather pessimistic gut-feeling prediction about Laine's off year of 32G during previous summer. I hastily corrected my then apparently faulty projection, as Laine projected to ridiculously high goal totals. In the end of the season original prediction and projection proved to be pretty much spot on (for reasons unfamiliar then).

I expect decent scoring season and steady improvements in overall play, but there likely will be slumps too, and there are always risk for a start of negative self-feeding loop if those occur and continue too long: Around 70-80 points, 35-40 goals. Gonna go hyperbolic only for a joke and/or for sarcasm.

Good luck Patrik! I'll be your fan regardless of what ever you might deliver on the ice. :)

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
No sins were committed and laine has progressed exactly like ehlers connor scheifele Lowry copp Morrissey trouba keep going down the list exactly as maurice has developed them. Sorry but that's the truth.
Ehlers hasn't really developed too much while playing for Maurice. He has been more forced to play with linemates and playing styles that are against his natural talent, which has obviously made him many times as frustrated as Laine has been with the same kind of treatment. Laine’s and Ehlers’ development would have been much better as players if they were able to play for a more innovative and open minded coach that would have helped them unleash their offensive creativity, instead of chaining them to a constant idiotic dump and chase system. But we have what we have.

Everyone that has been following Laine’s career for many years already, know that he has been super talented, but at the same time super raw physically, especially when compared to other talented players at the same ages. But Laine is very smart and very motivated, and he has chosen to do the things with his training that help his career the most in the long run, not just short sightedly to have the best possible seasons for his first few seasons, at the expense of being a stronger and better player for much longer through his career. What is happening right now is Pate gradually reaping some nice fruits from the well thought and in the long run efficient training. We are seeing exactly the Mikko Rantanen-kind of development, which is happening just two years later, as Laine is two years younger than Rantanen.

Maurice has practically nothing to do with Laine’s development. Maurice himself has even proudly said that he doesn't coach Patrik and practically any of the really talented players in the team, so no need to give him any credit for something that he has never done in the first place.

Last edited:

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I don't want to read any comments in Finnish tabloids. It's always like people are arrived from a mental hospital. At least in Winnipeg it's much more mellow and not doomed.

Hope the team takes all seriously and... eh, the PoMo takes it serious enough with trying a better blender, if needed. I Want Playoffs, I don't want to miss them....

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Patrik Laine avaa taustat NHL-kauden tulikuumalle alulleen – huippulahjakkuus kääri hihansa kesän tärkeän tapaamisen jälkeen: "Luulin aiemmin tehneeni kaukalossa hommia"

Long article about Laine. Some quotes:

"I thought about the contract stuff a lot during last season. Then, when I started think about those things, I of course wanted to score a lot of goals and points. I probably wanted it a bit too much. I started to force it, got sloppy and frustrated"

"I thought I worked hard before, but that's not true. When I look back now, I understand that the amount of work I put in wasn't enough at all. This season I want to give my everything during every time i'm on the ice. Win lose pucks and be reliable on defense"

About the meeting with Maurice:

"It was a really good meeting. After that it was comfortable to go into the season. I'm sure it opened things up a bit. We talked about what's expected of me, how they see me and my possible role this season. It was a nice meeting."

Scheifele on Laine playing with him & Wheeler:

"We have a certain style we play and you have to adapt. Laine has done that now. The most important thing is that we play with the puck and wait for things to open up, instead of chasing. Now he knows when to make plays and when to take the simple solution."

More Laine:

"I still prefer scoring to assisting"

"Of course I want to hit and stuff, but even with that you have to be smart. You have to finish the hits when there's a chance, but you can't start looking for hits. I've had more of them now because I battle harder."

When asked whether he's had to become more humble:

"I don't think so, because I've always been humble. I've good confidence but you shouldn't confuse that with arrogance. At least I feel like I've always had a humble attitude towards things. But I'm not going to start bowing down to anyone when I'm on the ice."

HHel

Feb 26, 2018
What are the chances Maurice goes back to LSW right away or do we get a ESW or even CSW game next?

I want Laine back on the top line but expect some other variation.
I think if Little is in, it's 90% chance to see ESW and CLL on the ice together. Big thumbs up for Maurice if he sticks with LSW. I rather see ESL to be our first line, but that's like 0,00000000000001% chance for that. :nod:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
To me it looked like wheeler didint even try in last game. I think he trying to change for ehlers or connor. Hes cemented in 1st line so if he does bad, laine goes.

Idc what line Laine plays tho. Hell do good in any line at least if little aint on it. Just hope he gets enough minutes. Last game wasnt very good for patrik, but wheeler helped the line even less.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
@Kaako Kappo thanks for the heads up. Tommi Seppälä is one of those rare hockey journalist worth reading. Like Murat Ates on the Athletic.
I honestly really dislike Seppälä myself. He is way too often whining emotionally about players and having too much of a tabloid clickbait approach, although he is working a lot for YLE. But YLE has unfortunately pretty much gone towards the cheap clickbait journalistic approach. At least that latest article by Seppänen, that you posted, was pretty good. But in general he isn’t really any better as a sports journalist, than the cheap tabloid clickbaiters.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
To me it looked like wheeler didint even try in last game. I think he trying to change for ehlers or connor. Hes cemented in 1st line so if he does bad, laine goes.

Idc what line Laine plays tho. Hell do good in any line at least if little aint on it. Just hope he gets enough minutes. Last game wasnt very good for patrik, but wheeler helped the line even less.
Come on , you think Wheeler plays a bad game on purpose just to get Laine off his line ? I've heard everything now . :shakehead No one on the entire Jets team played good last game and that includes Laine .

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Come on , you think Wheeler plays a bad game on purpose just to get Laine off his line ? I've heard everything now . :shakehead No one on the entire Jets team played good last game and that includes Laine .
Not really, like i dont claim i know he did that but ive never seen that bad wheeler. Some plays it felt like "was that even an accident?"

I think that he prefers connor or ehlers though

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Not really, like i dont claim i know he did that but ive never seen that bad wheeler. Some plays it felt like "was that even an accident?"
The entire team looked tired especially after watching Brossoit let in a bunch of weak goals . Wheeler had a bad game but so did alot of players . As long as the Jets don't look like that again tonight i'm willing to give them a little slack for playing alot of games in a short period of time . This is game 8 tonight for the Jets and only game 5 for the Coyotes as a example .

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I honestly really dislike Seppälä myself. He is way too often whining emotionally about players and having too much of a tabloid clickbait approach, although he is working a lot for YLE. But YLE has unfortunately pretty much gone towards the cheap clickbait journalistic approach. At least that latest article by Seppänen, that you posted, was pretty good. But in general he isn’t really any better as a sports journalist, than the cheap tabloid clickbaiters.

We live in an imperfect world, and in general sports journalists are really, really bad. Clickbaits are the norm, and even more common are those hot takes with disgusting recency bias esp. on NA media. In comparison to others, I personally find Seppälä to be pretty good. Not perfect by any means, but pretty good anyway. He manages to stay relatively reasonable unlike most hockey journalists in Finland and in North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad