Player Discussion: Laine (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Scheifele and Laine has the potential to be the best 1-2 punch of any jets team.
Not single season run but long run.

Both can shoot and both can pass.
Both are great at finding each other in transition. Both are great at finding open space.

Laine coming in the league, as much i am on his side. Was a cocky young kid. Who believes he is the man.

Scheifele was this guy who went through the drill , 3 years to get were he is. Thinking no your not.

What they are realizing now is they can be both very good separately. But together they can be great.

It takes sacrifice to make it work.
Laine was doing it the first 20 or so game being secondary to the offense.
Last handful of games. Scheifele is taking his turn sacrificing net front present etc.

This 2 could have been guided a little better earlier. But that is the learning curve. Good thing they have both good head on their shoulder. So they will pull this through. With the help of the coach and captain. Who now sees this 2 are the main catalyst to the teams success.

I like all the Jets players but as fans we all have our favorites. And these are mine.

Go Jets Go..

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Imagine if Ehlers was on that line with them. Wouldn’t even be fair.
I agree, the only thing is that I think it makes the team better right now having Ehlers on the Wheeler line.

But yes, ESL would be ridiculous with the way that both Ehlers and Laine have stepped up their games this year.

I still think in games where we are down a goal late in a game, we should ice ESL to get back in it. Other than that, I would be hesitant to screw with what we have going.

HHel

Feb 26, 2018
Agreed. I'm a bit torn on this. E-S-L would be our best line and it would be a treat to watch. But Ehlers really helps Wheeler and Rosie be as effective as they have been. For now I will side slightly towards the balance in our top 6. And Connor is a pretty damn good hockey player so it isn't like we don't have the top 6 talent to maximize both lines.
But still I would like to see ESL and CWR as a first two lines. Those could work very well too.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Agreed. I'm a bit torn on this. E-S-L would be our best line and it would be a treat to watch. But Ehlers really helps Wheeler and Rosie be as effective as they have been. For now I will side slightly towards the balance in our top 6. And Connor is a pretty damn good hockey player so it isn't like we don't have the top 6 talent to maximize both lines.
I wouldn't consider splitting up Scheifele and Laine under any circumstances. They are clicking and while Laine is deferring a little more than he should I think this is gradually balancing out. IMO Scheifele and Laine can become one of those truly elite pairings where both players can excel both as play makers and as shooters. IMO once they find this balance they will be extremely dangerous.

Agree with this general sentiment KB. The real question though is just where to most beneficially play Connor,but I think that can only be answered by actual legitimate trial in real game situations. It`s in cirumstances like this where I wish so much that Maurice would look at the challenge of putting together a balanced top 9 rather than a top 6 with a 3rd biased solely to defensive hockey. Sorry.... this is moving off topic quickly.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I missed that. Can you link or give me a small summary? But yeah, Patty is quite... thing. :D
I need a lesson on linking video, so sorry about that. TSN interviewed Patrik asking him about playing against Chiarot tonight. He basically said the plan was to walk around him cause he has "heavy" boots.

He added that he was joking in the interview, but I hope we get to a point where he doesn't give the "I'm joking" qualifier when he says something funny. Most will get it, but others will be left guessing.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I need a lesson on linking video, so sorry about that. TSN interviewed Patrik asking him about playing against Chiarot tonight. He basically said the plan was to walk around him cause he has "heavy" boots.

He added that he was joking in the interview, but I hope we get to a point where he doesn't give the "I'm joking" qualifier when he says something funny. Most will get it, but others will be left guessing.

It’s so funny how some people don’t get obvious jokes. There’s always the handful of "I can’t believe he said that" or "get back to earth, kid" replies in at Twitter post detailing his latest response to an interviewer.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017

And nothing to be sorry about. I don't need a link. I totally understand what you're saying. Just a Laine being himself. As I was asked by a US person about Christmas song thing. I was like what the hell, wasn't even close. So I was out of the loop totally.

Thanks for the summary.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
And nothing to be sorry about. I don't need a link. I totally understand what you're saying. Just a Laine being himself. As I was asked by a US person about Christmas song thing. I was like what the hell, wasn't even close. So I was out of the loop totally.

Thanks for the summary.

What do you mean, did the American feel insulted by a Christmas song again?

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
What do you mean, did the American feel insulted by a Christmas song again?
Sorry, I was chatting with this friend of a woman in Discord. So while multitasking, I was not at my best. If I ever have been, but I surely can see now that was really bad way to say that. It was like meme's type of things. Don't have it on my hand. She was just asking about is this true. Total misinterpetation and that's on me.

Basicly all like five things that where put there in the gif. I was answering her that I have no idea how this came to be. I don't even know really Christmas songs. But the lines were nothing similar. Might have been someones attempt of black humour, but I'm not a fan (or offended), I was just like... "huh?"

Sorry for the confusion. I shouldn't multitask. I don't have enough brains for that. :P

Hopefully you can some later date forgive me of this brainfart. :)

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

Interview about his first goal against Wild, he did that. He was joking but didn't put the disclaimer in there. It was really funny, but I bet some people took that as cocky. I know they would do so even if he had added "j/k", when people are looking to misunderstand someone they certainly will.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
10 goals in last 16 games. Does that qualify as ”heating up” for Laine? :sarcasm:
And at least 2 of his goals have been turned away because of offside review this season. Things are looking good for him.
Yes and only 1 assist in his last 8 games while scoring 6 goals. Things might be getting back to normal again. :)

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
2g 2a lost to offside reviews if I remember correctly.

Yesterday was fair, refs should have had it, but presumably they’ve been instructed to not whistle close ones and let the challenge sort those out.

I would like a 10/5 second rule for initiating challenge: Within 10 seconds of infraction or 5 seconds of goal a team may choose to use their timeout to decide if they want to challenge. If they do challenge, they get to keep the timeout (regardless of outcome).

I hate not knowing if a challenge is coming.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Yesterday was fair, refs should have had it, but presumably they’ve been instructed to not whistle close ones and let the challenge sort those out.

I would like a 10/5 second rule for initiating challenge: Within 10 seconds of infraction or 5 seconds of goal a team may choose to use their timeout to decide if they want to challenge. If they do challenge, they get to keep the timeout (regardless of outcome).

I hate not knowing if a challenge is coming.

I think if the defensive team has possession at any point after the missed offside, or if the goal happens more than 10 seconds after the missed offside, it should be unchallengable. The offside had no impact on the goal; Mtl had a chance to clear and failed.

I know that's convoluted, but it hockey doesn't need more whistles and slow down the game. Thef should also change it so skates don't have to touch the ice, breaking the plane of the blue line should be enough. And forget about pixel-peeping mm's.
/rant

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think if the defensive team has possession at any point after the missed offside, or if the goal happens more than 10 seconds after the missed offside, it should be unchallengable. The offside had no impact on the goal; Mtl had a chance to clear and failed.

I know that's convoluted, but it hockey doesn't need more whistles and slow down the game. Thef should also change it so skates don't have to touch the ice, breaking the plane of the blue line should be enough. And forget about pixel-peeping mm's.
/rant

The problem is if it’s called the play is blown dead and we have no way of knowing one way or another of the goal still happens.
That play was off by quite a bit. Laine wasn’t even close.

HHel

Feb 26, 2018
That offside challenge rule is stupid and weird. Last week at a game (I can't remember which one) there was a play which lead to the goal, but before that there was coming penalty, but that also was after offside. They challenge the goal and it was cancelled, but still they got that penalty. What! :huh:
Play was offside and the penalty came after that. That should be overruled aswell. Stubid rule I say.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

/rant

I think that’s perfect. The challenge would be invokable until the defending team gains control, just like in a pending penalty.

It’s so stupid to cancel goals where the offside happened a few minutes before, it’s not like the offside has any bearing on the later events unless it’s off the rush and directly leads to a goal.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
That offside challenge rule is stupid and weird. Last week at a game (I can't remember which one) there was a play which lead to the goal, but before that there was coming penalty, but that also was after offside. They challenge the goal and it was cancelled, but still they got that penalty. What! :huh:
Play was offside and the penalty came after that. That should be overruled aswell. Stubid rule I say.

Penalties are not canceled even if the play is for a good reason. What if someone is hurt on the play? Can’t cancel that. I could justify canceling a ‘minor’ interference etc. but that line is just too difficult to draw.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The worst thing about the current offside rule is it is gradually stealing a fans enjoyment of spontaneously cheering for a goal. As it is now more and more often cheering is muted while people wait to see if it is a good goal. It is a slippery slope for the NHL when their rules start impacting the paying customers' enjoyment of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad