Player Discussion: Laine (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Everyone dumping on KC and he is tied for 4th most assists on the team behind Laine, Wheeler and Scheif. He also made a really nice pass to Ehlers for the 4 on 4 goal.

That play with Ehlers was definitely one of the highlights of the game.

Connor has limited vision, but he excels on plays in front of goal and has good hands so he is able to do also neat passes when they are like self-evident as it was with that Ehlers goal.

There is nothing wrong with CSL line, just that it forces Laine to be the playmaker, which is also not a bad thing. He is more than capable doing that. That lowers obviously Laine's scoring opportunities and goal scoring, but it doesn't matter who is scoring as long as he is a jet, and the 1st line works (as it does).

If only Connor was good defensively, they could try also ESL + CWR to "free Ehlers" and form a real superstar line. Currently that would probably make 1a and 1b lines way too unbalanced, and thus harm the team, so better not to stir the pot.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017

Connor has limited vision, but he excels on plays in front of goal and has good hands so he is able to do also neat passes when they are like self-evident as it was with that Ehlers goal.

There is nothing wrong with CSL line, just that it forces Laine to be the playmaker, which is also not a bad thing. He is more than capable doing that. That lowers obviously Laine's scoring opportunities and goal scoring, but it doesn't matter who is scoring as long as he is a jet, and the 1st line works (as it does).

If only Connor was good defensively, they could try also ESL + CWR to "free Ehlers" and form a real superstar line. Currently that would probably make 1a and 1b lines way too unbalanced, and thus harm the team, so better not to stir the pot.
Switching Connor and Ehlers has been the go to move for Maurice when trailing in a game, but I don’t know if that’s an option now that Ehlers is on the 2nd line :sarcasm:

Anyway, that could be a great option when time is running out and we need a goal. Ehlers is a zone entry wizard and great at keeping posession once the puck is in offensive zone.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Was really nice to see that I haven't been lying to you (with the respect the pass and goals will come). It's like scripted. I love when I read someone outside of this home page say like in the lines of "teams are cheating on Laine, so the bastard upped his passing game". :D

And the whole situation, as I've said, not credit to be taken or needed, most feel it too. When you have to respect the pass also, instead just the defender thinking "he's gonna shoot", and goalies also. So now he displayes that also. Million shots trained, it's still there.

I think the team is going doing pretty well. Hopefully "someone" doesn't blender too much. I think the team as it is, is doing well enough not to make drastic changes. All in all, I'm happy to see what I've been writing and reading about Laine's whole game also. And when the team acts like one, group effort. I have no complaints about that!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
From Finnish tabloid, I'll try to at least translate some of it since it's quite long.

If PpG continues last of the season like this, Laine would broke earlier 70 by 10 points.

Most noticable in games have been hightended work moral. Laine does now normal things very eagerly.

"After last season I though by myself a lot that I need to do more. And with that, I can do more, strip pucks and create more places for others too"

"I can get to the game better, and my playing doesn't just stay waiting the that others will just deliver the puch where I'm coasting. Now I'm trying to participate to do those things and by that I've gotten a lot of points"

Winnipegs coaches have noted Laine's devolopment. His TOI is 19,25 per game, which is over two minutes than last season. His current playspot is stable in the first line.

"Assists count probably is because whole game. Earlier seasons I've done so many goals that now opponents respect that and try to take me out. So then someone is open so I will be able to feed them"

"When I play with to great scorers, I have to try to feed them also. Maybe I could shoot more at some points. I might even try to have too fancy passes. More forward, I could score more.

2b53c20945874aab98313a04ef075b07.jpg

(About PP)
"I've played even in the middle of the square. But opponents mostly play that I don't get the puck so often. Then someone stay free and can be able to do goals. I'm a good distraction there.

Laine isn't worried by earlier goal totals.
"It just doesn't have gone in, but I'm pretty happy about my things on ice. Need to find some new tricks to score. There's always ways to improve and it's just 34 games played and 48 left.

"There's a lot of time to raise hands in the air. The scoring haven't gone anywhere, I can still do that. When few comes, then the ketchup bottle opens, says in self-confident ways."

Then he mentions a bit about Luoto that it's nice to have a same aged like minded guy. They have been watching tv, movies, etc.
23b8c3f2df994b5e8479b66d3d4408b0.jpg

Laine told at the beginning of the season that playstation doesn't go with him in non-home games and playing at home has been not been so much either.
"I've took a lot of time away drasticly. I don't play not much anymore. Days off, once a while hour or two, but not much like ealier. I've been trying to do something more reasonable.

And ends the article by saying about Luoto that is nice. Ain't kicking him out.

Hope someone liked this, it isn't anything quite knew but decided to quick translate it. Took more time than I realised, but oh well... And rounded up, didn't translate it word for word, just like... you know, what was said.

If someone wants to read it in Finnish: Patrik Laine mellastaa jo nyt ennätystahdissa NHL:ssä – varoittaa tulevasta: ”Sitten ketsuppipullo aukeaa”
I enjoyed this very much. Loved Patty's candidness - good insight.

It also shows again why Luoto is likely with the club. I think last season and going into this season there might have been a bit of strain on the relationship between the Jets and Laine (his camp). The Jets picking up a guy who played with Patty and can relate to him shows the caring the team has for their players, and if spending $750,000 of the cap makes Laine feel happier, and more welcome, it's a great investment.

As for the goals - I love that Patrik is a more complete player now - I enjoy the moments around his goals much more than I used to. However, I want him to be a bit more 'selfish' and I think he has been. I want to get back to that feeling that any time he has the puck in the offensive zone, he has a great chance to score.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Since Wheeler is a really good passer, I wonder how Laine would do on that line? I don't think they've ever played together with Wheeler as the C, have they? Ehlers to me loves to shoot but he isn't heavily biased that way. Having a pass first C in Wheeler, a shoot first mentality with Laine (but with passing ability to keep defenders on their heels) and a guy in Ehlers who won't pass up a shot but could also make some nifty dishes could end up being a pretty deadly line.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Switching Connor and Ehlers has been the go to move for Maurice when trailing in a game, but I don’t know if that’s an option now that Ehlers is on the 2nd line :sarcasm:

Anyway, that could be a great option when time is running out and we need a goal. Ehlers is a zone entry wizard and great at keeping posession once the puck is in offensive zone.
That’s always been my thought regarding needing a goal near the end of a game. Trading ehlers and KC just to try it to get the two points. But at the same time maybe it won’t work, who knows? I’m very happy with having two great working lines now.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Since Wheeler is a really good passer, I wonder how Laine would do on that line? I don't think they've ever played together with Wheeler as the C, have they? Ehlers to me loves to shoot but he isn't heavily biased that way. Having a pass first C in Wheeler, a shoot first mentality with Laine (but with passing ability to keep defenders on their heels) and a guy in Ehlers who won't pass up a shot but could also make some nifty dishes could end up being a pretty deadly line.
This year is really different to me in that Ehlers Laine and Wheeler are all different/better players this year. Who knows if we are at the optimum team makeup, but do I know that we’re close enough that I don’t really know if I would want the lines messed with. It’s a good place to be.

Reactions: Tommigun

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

17-18 when Scheif went down, Wheeler was playing C for Connor (?) and Laine. They were good offensively and bad defensively, they did well, though their underlying numbers were bad. But the way Ehlers and Laine are playing, I'm sure Ehlers-Wheeler-Laine would be a very good line now. I wouldn't mess with the lines though, IMO Scheifele-Laine pairing is the future of this franchise as far as 1st line goes and while I don't think they should become the new inseparable 55-26, the top-6 seems balanced atm, so I would leave it at that and let that 1st line develop.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
17-18 when Scheif went down, Wheeler was playing C for Connor (?) and Laine. They were good offensively and bad defensively, they did well, though their underlying numbers were bad. But the way Ehlers and Laine are playing, I'm sure Ehlers-Wheeler-Laine would be a very good line now. I wouldn't mess with the lines though, IMO Scheifele-Laine pairing is the future of this franchise as far as 1st line goes and while I don't think they should become the new inseparable 55-26, the top-6 seems balanced atm, so I would leave it at that and let that 1st line develop.
I don't deny that the Scheifele Laine duo is doing very well and is fine - but I feel like both of them limit their scoring potential because they both want to set each other up. Scheifele has a beautiful shot/ release and I want him shooting more, just as I want Laine shooting more. Unless they add a second puck to the game, I think for line balance Wheeler Laine works better. I think that what would be ideal for Scheifele would be a true playmaking winger who has a pass bias. Maybe Little could be that guy?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't deny that the Scheifele Laine duo is doing very well and is fine - but I feel like both of them limit their scoring potential because they both want to set each other up. Scheifele has a beautiful shot/ release and I want him shooting more, just as I want Laine shooting more. Unless they add a second puck to the game, I think for line balance Wheeler Laine works better. I think that what would be ideal for Scheifele would be a true playmaking winger who has a pass bias. Maybe Little could be that guy?
I agree with you on this and I think most of us think that although the current lines are working really well, it’s possible that there may be an even better combination.

I also think that most of us are reluctant to break up what’s working. :)

it’s certainly an interesting conversation.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

I love Scheif & Laine together because of both are very capable of both scoring and setting up the other. I think Laine has just been a bit over-focused on being a playmaker and will be more balanced going forward. I honestly think Laine & Scheif duo creates plays and makes passes no other two forwards on the team would be capable of making.

In the future when/if Little gets back, I would switch Connor for a more defensive player, Perrault or Copp. That would free Connor to play with Ehlers on the 2nd, or alternatively run 3 scoring lines. I think having the best 3 goal scorers of the team all on the 1st line is a bit overkill and wastes scoring potential. If it were Perrault or Copp in the 1st, that would help the line defensively and it would still leave it with 2 very good shooters.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Or Rosie. Roslovic is definitely more of a pass first kind of guy. Who knows when Little is coming back.

Reactions: Jet and Ippenator

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
The effort and focus is finally paying off. I notice that his passing skills are opening up the ice for him more; opposing players have to now account for the threat of him being a playmaker and that is going to make for wider shooting lanes.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I wouldn't consider splitting up Scheifele and Laine under any circumstances. They are clicking and while Laine is deferring a little more than he should I think this is gradually balancing out. IMO Scheifele and Laine can become one of those truly elite pairings where both players can excel both as play makers and as shooters. IMO once they find this balance they will be extremely dangerous.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I don’t really see that with Little. Not that he is completely incapable of doing some playmaking with the right kind of players for him. But I don't see Little really as a clear pass first guy. Still more like a shoot first guy in fact. I would say that Perreault would be a perfect fit with Scheifele though, as he is more a pass first guy than Little, and he is excellent as a puck hound too. Laine would work really well with Scheifele and Perreault too, as we saw for a magnificent but short stint during Laine’s rookie season. But if Scheifele and Laine don’t play together, then I think that anyway Perreault is a great player to play with either of them on the same line. I don't honestly see that with Little though.

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I wouldn't consider splitting up Scheifele and Laine under any circumstances. They are clicking and while Laine is deferring a little more than he should I think this is gradually balancing out. IMO Scheifele and Laine can become one of those truly elite pairings where both players can excel both as play makers and as shooters. IMO once they find this balance they will be extremely dangerous.
Add to that their ages and that duo could work for years and years.

Reactions: Ippenator

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Imagine if Ehlers was on that line with them. Wouldn’t even be fair.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Imagine if Ehlers was on that line with them. Wouldn’t even be fair.
Agreed. I'm a bit torn on this. E-S-L would be our best line and it would be a treat to watch. But Ehlers really helps Wheeler and Rosie be as effective as they have been. For now I will side slightly towards the balance in our top 6. And Connor is a pretty damn good hockey player so it isn't like we don't have the top 6 talent to maximize both lines.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Agreed. I'm a bit torn on this. E-S-L would be our best line and it would be a treat to watch. But Ehlers really helps Wheeler and Rosie be as effective as they have been. For now I will side slightly towards the balance in our top 6. And Connor is a pretty damn good hockey player so it isn't like we don't have the top 6 talent to maximize both lines.

Yeh I think Ehlers is having a huge positive influence on that line. I like the balance as is.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I don’t really see that with Little. Not that he is completely incapable of doing some playmaking with the right kind of players for him. But I don't see Little really as a clear pass first guy. Still more like a shoot first guy in fact. I would say that Perreault would be a perfect fit with Scheifele though, as he is more a pass first guy than Little, and he is excellent as a puck hound too. Laine would work really well with Scheifele and Perreault too, as we saw for a magnificent but short stint during Laine’s rookie season. But if Scheifele and Laine don’t play together, then I think that anyway Perreault is a great player to play with either of them on the same line. I don't honestly see that with Little though.

Playing Laine with Little makes no sense and would be a seriously concerning sign of utter stupidity from Maurice. Little has played ALOT of games centering Laine, and of all goals that Laine has, a very VERY little percentage of those goals has Little involved. I was amazed for how long Maurice kept them togeather.

Reactions: Nate070 and Mbraunm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad