Player Discussion: Laine (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
Haha, that is from the movie ”Rare Exports” isn’t it?

Don’t worry, in recent interview Laine said he still can rip it and opponents know this and try to close the shooting line (usually two opponents) and that leaves at least one guy open so he passes more. I will link it soon, but is in Finnish (yle.fi)

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
From Finnish tabloid, I'll try to at least translate some of it since it's quite long.

If PpG continues last of the season like this, Laine would broke earlier 70 by 10 points.

Most noticable in games have been hightended work moral. Laine does now normal things very eagerly.

"After last season I though by myself a lot that I need to do more. And with that, I can do more, strip pucks and create more places for others too"

"I can get to the game better, and my playing doesn't just stay waiting the that others will just deliver the puch where I'm coasting. Now I'm trying to participate to do those things and by that I've gotten a lot of points"

Winnipegs coaches have noted Laine's devolopment. His TOI is 19,25 per game, which is over two minutes than last season. His current playspot is stable in the first line.

"Assists count probably is because whole game. Earlier seasons I've done so many goals that now opponents respect that and try to take me out. So then someone is open so I will be able to feed them"

"When I play with to great scorers, I have to try to feed them also. Maybe I could shoot more at some points. I might even try to have too fancy passes. More forward, I could score more.

2b53c20945874aab98313a04ef075b07.jpg

(About PP)
"I've played even in the middle of the square. But opponents mostly play that I don't get the puck so often. Then someone stay free and can be able to do goals. I'm a good distraction there.

Laine isn't worried by earlier goal totals.
"It just doesn't have gone in, but I'm pretty happy about my things on ice. Need to find some new tricks to score. There's always ways to improve and it's just 34 games played and 48 left.

"There's a lot of time to raise hands in the air. The scoring haven't gone anywhere, I can still do that. When few comes, then the ketchup bottle opens, says in self-confident ways."

Then he mentions a bit about Luoto that it's nice to have a same aged like minded guy. They have been watching tv, movies, etc.
23b8c3f2df994b5e8479b66d3d4408b0.jpg

Laine told at the beginning of the season that playstation doesn't go with him in non-home games and playing at home has been not been so much either.
"I've took a lot of time away drasticly. I don't play not much anymore. Days off, once a while hour or two, but not much like ealier. I've been trying to do something more reasonable.

And ends the article by saying about Luoto that is nice. Ain't kicking him out.

Hope someone liked this, it isn't anything quite knew but decided to quick translate it. Took more time than I realised, but oh well... And rounded up, didn't translate it word for word, just like... you know, what was said.

If someone wants to read it in Finnish: Patrik Laine mellastaa jo nyt ennätystahdissa NHL:ssä – varoittaa tulevasta: ”Sitten ketsuppipullo aukeaa”

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
From Finnish tabloid, I'll try to at least translate some of it since it's quite long.

If PpG continues last of the season like this, Laine would broke earlier 70 by 10 points.

Most noticable in games have been hightended work moral. Laine does now normal things very eagerly.

"After last season I though by myself a lot that I need to do more. And with that, I can do more, strip pucks and create more places for others too"

"I can get to the game better, and my playing doesn't just stay waiting the that others will just deliver the puch where I'm coasting. Now I'm trying to participate to do those things and by that I've gotten a lot of points"

Winnipegs coaches have noted Laine's devolopment. His TOI is 19,25 per game, which is over two minutes than last season. His current playspot is stable in the first line.

"Assists count probably is because whole game. Earlier seasons I've done so many goals that now opponents respect that and try to take me out. So then someone is open so I will be able to feed them"

"When I play with to great scorers, I have to try to feed them also. Maybe I could shoot more at some points. I might even try to have too fancy passes. More forward, I could score more.

2b53c20945874aab98313a04ef075b07.jpg

(About PP)
"I've played even in the middle of the square. But opponents mostly play that I don't get the puck so often. Then someone stay free and can be able to do goals. I'm a good distraction there.

Laine isn't worried by earlier goal totals.
"It just doesn't have gone in, but I'm pretty happy about my things on ice. Need to find some new tricks to score. There's always ways to improve and it's just 34 games played and 48 left.

"There's a lot of time to raise hands in the air. The scoring haven't gone anywhere, I can still do that. When few comes, then the ketchup bottle opens, says in self-confident ways."

Then he mentions a bit about Luoto that it's nice to have a same aged like minded guy. They have been watching tv, movies, etc.
23b8c3f2df994b5e8479b66d3d4408b0.jpg

Laine told at the beginning of the season that playstation doesn't go with him in non-home games and playing at home has been not been so much either.
"I've took a lot of time away drasticly. I don't play not much anymore. Days off, once a while hour or two, but not much like ealier. I've been trying to do something more reasonable.

And ends the article by saying about Luoto that is nice. Ain't kicking him out.

Hope someone liked this, it isn't anything quite knew but decided to quick translate it. Took more time than I realised, but oh well... And rounded up, didn't translate it word for word, just like... you know, what was said.

If someone wants to read it in Finnish: Patrik Laine mellastaa jo nyt ennätystahdissa NHL:ssä – varoittaa tulevasta: ”Sitten ketsuppipullo aukeaa”

Thanks to you too! I'm glad we have some people here to translate some of this for us :)

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Nothing too interesting here, but since I had some spare time in the commute... Finnish tabloid interview of Laine, his direct quotes translated:
He actually just says ''games'' not ''gaming''. Meaning sports (could be e-sports too I guess)

He's matured a lot, is his mom not living there anymore? Was getting a bit worried during the summer when he was giving quite defensive interviews about his last seasons game. Probably was just contract talk.

Wasn't in this interview but he said somewhere that it's been nice not taking the console on the road and go eat somewhere, which he hasn't really done before. Isn't it kind of crazy to travel so much for three years and never go out to check the city even just to get lunch?

Reactions: sashalaine

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Thanks to you too! I'm glad we have some people here to translate some of this for us :)
Thanks for saying that. I don't mind if @sashalaine got there first. This isn't a job, it's a passion for the team. Sure it's nice to be noticed, but in the end. I wanted to read the article. So naturally I wanted to share with you people.

Even nothing really new, just to keep foreigners in the loop since our media is Laine-crazy.

So if it takes some of my free time, so be it. I'm here for conversation and information with people. Same boat, different country. :)

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
He actually just says ''games'' not ''gaming''. Meaning sports (could be e-sports too I guess)
True, I somehow read that wrong and translated my mental typo. :)

And @backwards motion we should probably start first mentioning that there's a translation in progress for longer articles. It even crossed my mind when posting that I hope someone didn't do it while I was writing. :D

Reactions: backwards motion

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
True, I somehow read that wrong and translated my mental typo. :)

And @backwards motion we should probably start first mentioning that there's a translation in progress for longer articles. It even crossed my mind when posting that I hope someone didn't do it while I was writing. :D
Haha! Not a bad idea actually. "Warning, there's big translation coming soon." :D

But yeah, no worries here. There might still be a word of two that gives a different fibe and interpretation! Or like a back up copy. They don't need to read it if they don't want to... or do they? :P

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
He has surely matured up a lot. Btw is the bromance still alive or has the competition come between them?

teamfortheone

Nov 4, 2019
Great goals! Sad that Connor and Sheif were not involved.

I hope Connor will do some thinking after that 3-0 breakaway decision and becomes a passing machine for the 1st line.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Great goals! Sad that Connor and Sheif were not involved.

I hope Connor will do some thinking after that 3-0 breakaway decision and becomes a passing machine for the 1st line.
Everyone dumping on KC and he is tied for 4th most assists on the team behind Laine, Wheeler and Scheif. He also made a really nice pass to Ehlers for the 4 on 4 goal.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Everyone dumping on KC and he is tied for 4th most assists on the team behind Laine, Wheeler and Scheif. He also made a really nice pass to Ehlers for the 4 on 4 goal.
He’s also getting a lot more playing time than the next guy on our team. Coincidence? I think not. Was a very nice pass to Ehlers. How many more assists would Ehlers have on 1st pp unit?

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
6 shots

A wrist shot goal from far away

A slap shot goal on the PP

His wrist is OK now?

His wrist is definitely OK. It might be that he still has some limitations on his back and hip rotation, which obviously limits the power he can put on his shots.

We have yet to see thos absolute laser wristers he has been able to do in the past. For example that otherwordly laser wrister against Panthers in Helsinki last season.

He is at very least OK/good with his condition, and it was again nice to see him playing so well keeping the puck and dishing it to his mates.

For example when before that Scheifele/Sbisa goal Laine started dangling, the Wild were following him in some sort of "hypnosis" (I have experienced that many times myself in our below beer league games), and then Laine dished the puck with his backhand and all in the sudden Scheifele & Connor were in front of the net with only one Wild, and they were so close to scoring.

Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad