La Liga 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
There really isn’t a “home advantage” in these games, Real usually leak a lot of goals to Barça in the Bernabeu. Dembele should be back as well

Coutinho continues to be a big disappointment

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Kinda wondering how Modric/Vazquez escaped getting carded in this one, lost count how many times Modric fouled Arthur.

Because none of the fouls came even remotely close to being neither malicious nor to stop Arthur from developing and play.
And contrary to the popular belief of your average football fan, there is no "accumulate x fouls get carded" rule in football.
If you do 2-3 borderline tackles, then yes, a ref can say "I warned you this is now a yellow". But if all the fouls are little harmless fouls like the ones Modric did - then never a yellow.

Barca is the favorite in the return leg and Messi always has a strong game there.
And as good as 1-1 away at Camp Nou sounds for Madrid, I think they'll be slightly disappointed in not coming away with more.

Benzema is playing great - but get this - he's the same Benzema that people have been trashing for 2 years.
Just that it was harder to notice when the attention was on Cristiano and then later Modric, etc.
He's always been one of the best in build up play and play a sacrificial role - but an absolutely vital one - in a historic Madrid squad.

Modric is back to form, Carvajal is back to form, Varane is back to form.
At the same time, Bale looks completely off, Isco is on the bench and Marcelo is now offensively average for whatever reason while still being a defensive liability.
He (Marcelo) looks really, really off.
I don't know how many of you guys played a sport at level where you play a full season and have preseason to get your body ready etc.
There's a point in the preseason where you're getting physically fit where your body does things slower than your brain processes.
Then there's a point at the end of the season (or past it, if your conditioning was good) where you fall off the other end of the spectrum and your body is again too slow for your mind, but for different reasons (exhaustion).
That is how Marcelo looks to me. His movements, body language when running or turning, everything screams to me this is a player nowhere near his best currently.
Anyway...

They were very good in the first half, and even with Messi on, they had a few chances (Bale's first touch was awful on his scoring chance).
My feeling is that they could've come away with more than a 1-1.

Barca... It's hard to judge and it really is unfair, judge a team how they look whether or not the greatest player ever is on the pitch or not.
Alba looks like a "normal" LB without Messi, and is this telephatic Messi-enabler when Messi is on and a force to be reckoned with.
Malcolm was very good - even his goal aside - and bossed Marcelo around.
But again, it's almost pointless to go into detail - Messi-Barca is another beast compared to non-Messi Barca.
It's almost like you turn down difficulty on FIFA when you bring Messi on.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Because none of the fouls came even remotely close to being neither malicious nor to stop Arthur from developing and play.
And contrary to the popular belief of your average football fan, there is no "accumulate x fouls get carded" rule in football.
If you do 2-3 borderline tackles, then yes, a ref can say "I warned you this is now a yellow". But if all the fouls are little harmless fouls like the ones Modric did - then never a yellow.

At 2:17, and 3:13 in this video:

0:33, and towards the end in this one:

He also clipped Arturo Vidal towards the end of the game with Barcelona building up play for goal but I can't find the video at the moment.

Not to mention the fouls he committed here and there chasing Arthur around, I don't think a lot of people came out of that game with the impression that Modric committed "little harmless fouls." Modric and Vazquez both escaped the game without being carded, not much of a surprise to me as Lahoz is a terrible referee

Last edited:
Reactions: les Habs

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
HT in Betis-Valencia and I was gonna say it's amazing it's still scoreless but Betis just took the lead through Loren in the final minute of the half. Plenty of chances on both sides in a very fast-paced game.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
At 2:17, and 3:13 in this video:

0:33, and towards the end in this one:

He also clipped Arturo Vidal towards the end of the game with Barcelona building up play for goal but I can't find the video at the moment.

Not to mention the fouls he committed here and there chasing Arthur around, I don't think a lot of people came out of that game with the impression that Modric committed "little harmless fouls." Modric and Vazquez both escaped the game without being carded, not much of a surprise to me as Lahoz is a terrible referee

None of those are yellow card worthy. None of them are malicious and none are done to stop a dangerous play.
The ones on Malcolm look worse because Malcolm died both times on those play, but no, none of the fouls was neither malicious nor dangerous. I mean, look at the replay you posted yourself, contact is minimal (literally) and after initially dying Malcolm gets up as soon as the foul is called.
Fouls on Arthur, those two in a row? 60m away from goal with Arthur doing lateral movements and Modric "stabbing" in for the ball... I mean, in what world is that a yellow card?
Matches would be ending 8v8 if those fouls were deserving of bookings.

Don't remember the Vidal play, tbf. So, dunno about that one.
I missed bits of the game due to my baby boy jumping all over me, so maybe happened then.

And also, why don't you complain about how Ramos was booked for a non-existent foul when Malcolm died again from running past Ramos?
Or how Suarez could've gotten a 2nd yellow while blatantly diving and trying to get Ramos booked for a second time?

Either way, Lahoz did fine and did not influence the end result.
I don't think he's a great ref, but he's definitely a step from Hernandez Hernandez and the younger group of refs who truly are awful.
People are quick to dump on La Liga refs but sometimes they criticize just to criticize. (EPL refs are just as bad, if not worse)
These games are hard to ref, most of these players bring s*ithousery to another level in these games, so I think when a ref actually does not influence the result.... He did good.

It's not like the 2-2 tie last year when they missed Suarez foul on Varane for the Barca goal, Bale red card and the penalty on Marcelo.
All of which were blatant.

Anyway...

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Actually the rules state that there are seven offences for which a player is cautioned and shown the yellow card, and one of those includes "persistently infringes the Laws of the Game."

https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

Just reading through that the fouls that Madrid have got away with in Clasicos that I've seen over the last couple of decades is incredible. Anyway, regarding Modric and the videos linked above, as the commentators say when Modric fouls Arthur twice in the same play on the first noted instance, there was no effort to play the ball as Modric kicked him from behind. Quite frankly I'd say there also wasn't an effort to play the ball on the second play either. And just a quarter of the way into the Malcolm video Llorente has pushed players twice.

I haven't seen the match myself, so I won't comment on that. As for the revisionism, well the sun rises every day too, IE some things never change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce