Friedman: LA Kings is looking at Vancouver for some scoring addition

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Its amazing to see how much message boards forums value prospect and picks over legit player that would give you a legit run at the cup. There's no gurantee with these prospects.

As a Canuck fan nothing pains me more in seeing that we didnt support the Twins enough during their prime years when they were arguably the best players in the NHL and instead we hung on to "Cant miss" prospects like Hodgson and Schroeder because they had good pre-nhl resumes and thought they were the next franchise saviors.

When you have a chance to go for it, you gotta go all in, anything can happen when youre in the playoffs.

If LA has a chance to get a player like Miller, Boeser, Garland without having to move Byfield, Turcotte, Clarke, then hell ya they should pull the trigger.

LA is going to get completely annihilated in the playoffs and the only purpose for being there is to get the elite youth some experience.

I agree with almost everything you're saying except the implicit assessment that LA should be going for it...they're at a weird crossroads where we are seeing the last years of effective vets and the first years of not-yet-effective youth. Sure guys can bridge the gap but we shouldn't be opening the wallet to fill holes we don't know we have yet, especially for a nearly 29 year old.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doughty is 32
Kopi is 34

down the road i dont think is an option. Fair enough if they dont decide to make a legit push for a playoff run now by selling assets but I dont think it will be a better option later. If they dont decide to buy now then in my opinion they shouldnt buy next year or year after either and just sit on all these prospects until they are the main core and buy all in in like 5 years when Kopi Brown and Doughty are long gone.

If you think this team is currently led by Kopitar and Brown then you are not updated on teh current state of the Kings. no offense intended.

Reactions: kinghock

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Doughty is 32
Kopi is 34

down the road i dont think is an option. Fair enough if they dont decide to make a legit push for a playoff run now by selling assets but I dont think it will be a better option later. If they dont decide to buy now then in my opinion they shouldnt buy next year or year after either and just sit on all these prospects until they are the main core and buy all in in like 5 years when Kopi Brown and Doughty are long gone.

I don't know that their fanbase really cares about giving those guys one last kick at the can. I think they probably recognize their best chance to make a run is when the kids mature. (Management might feel more pressure however, someone more knowlefgeable than me can fill in that particular blank)

I would point out that some of their young talent seems to be closer to contributing than perhaps we might think. I gather coaching and deployment is an issue that might be hindering their young players (such as Byfield, for example)

Reactions: LAKings88

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
If you think this team is currently led by Kopitar and Brown then you are not updated on teh current state of the Kings. no offense intended.

No i do not think they are the main guys, but LA didnt sign a 29 year old Danault or trade for Arvidsson only to rebuild for 5 more years.

They think they are close. Whether thats this year or next, their plan is to get a playoff push while Kopi and Doughty are still capable.

The fact that reports are saying Blake has called the canucks to inquire about scoring justifies the idea that they are not interested in just staying put and holding on to their prospects.

Boeser I'd imagine is their target more so than Miller.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I hear you. I'll admit I look at their prospects as an outsider and think "Cash some in, they can't possibly all play for you"

But what I'm getting from Kings fans in this thread is a willingness to simply stay the course, let kids like Turcotte, Vilardi, etc etc develop and potentially fill these roles organically. There's risk there for sure but I get it.

They can still push their chips in and make a move down the road when they have a better idea what they have in house
Not trying to argue, your points are all valid, but I think about the Flyers. 3 years ago they looked like they were going to have a beast mode defense, all of whom they drafted or signed as undrafted free agents. Now half those players are on different teams or didn't develop as was expected and the Flyers greatest weakness seems to be their D. So this is a very delicate balancing act between developing the prospects, and having proven NHL players. LA is in a good position because their contention window is just opening up, so time is on their side. A team like Colorado realistically has 2 maybe 3 years before contracts and a weakened prospect pool (later picks so fewer blue chip guys, using assets for immediate help, etc.) - for example no Byram, Newhook on ELC's, starts to impact their ability to ice an elite team. I am curious about the Kings - I like what they have in their system, but the intermediate players in the 25-29 range aren't as good as their older and younger players, so how does that impact development??? Should be fun to watch

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I wonder what the majority of Kings fans here thought about signing Danault to a long-term contract.

You guys think signing a 28 year old Danault to a $33M contract is a sign of the team willing to "wait for their prospects to maybe develop and maybe hit in 3-4 years"? What about trading two draft picks for Viktor Arvidsson? Do either of these moves indicate the Kings are not actively trying to improve their team?

It's pretty obvious that LA wants to try and compete. A lot of GMs are looking at the recent runs by Dallas and Montreal and saying why can't we do that.

It's true that all you need is some hot goaltending and you can easily win a round or two with today's parity... all it takes is one major injury to a guy like Stone or MacKinnon and the door is wide open.

HFboards is wayyy too focused on prospects and young players. You can't just hoard prospects and young players and hope they all hit... that might work in Chel but not in real life.

Anytime you get a chance to acquire good talent like Garland, Boeser or Miller, you HAVE to explore it as a team looking to compete.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Maybe re-read.

The post clearly said Doughty and Kopitar at the beginning.

Yet you choose not to name Doughty but then pick Brown? Brown is obviously a complimentary piece but Doughty and Kopitar still run the show lol.

Seems like arguing for the sake of arguing.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Yet you choose not to name Doughty but then pick Brown? Brown is obviously a complimentary piece but Doughty and Kopitar still run the show lol.

Brown was listed. I agree, what a dumbass thing to pick a fight about.

Point is, Kopitar is fading under the duress of too many minutes, and Brown is on his way out. Doughty is still the lynchpin of the defense, but for how long? We can't be making roster decisions around those guys. That's all.

Otherwise, liek the teams you mention, they'll take one run and bow out.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
If you're taking what Blake said word for word he also said that he's looking for a price cheaper than arvdsdon
From Vancouver, "a price cheaper than Arvidson" (ie: a 2nd and a 3rd) will probably get you in the range of Pearson or Motte type players. If it's way below that price then probably guys that doesn't move the needle at all (ie: Highmore) or guys you can have for free (ie: Dickinson).
I don't think trading for any of these guys are worth it for the Kings. They are a young team on the rise, these are depth players that maybe might be interesting for top contenders.
A guy like Garland would be great for the Kings with his combo of age/term/production. But he is definitely not coming in below the price of Arvidson. So while I think both teams are excellent trading partners on paper, there might not be a deal to be had unfortunately.

Reactions: kinghock

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Brown was listed. I agree, what a dumbass thing to pick a fight about.

Point is, Kopitar is fading under the duress of too many minutes, and Brown is on his way out. Doughty is still the lynchpin of the defense, but for how long? We can't be making roster decisions around those guys. That's all.

Otherwise, liek the teams you mention, they'll take one run and bow out.

The point is that while Kopitar and Doughty are performing at a high level, acquiring a Boeser/Garland/Miller type of player will help take some of the burden off them - especially Miller.

As of now, there's nobody in line to replace those guys.

Why sign Danault and trade two picks for Arvidsson if the plan is just to wait out their contracts and wait another 4-5 years for the young core to flourish?

Miller is someone who can immediately upgrade your team and take a huge load off of Kopitar. They can be 1A/1B centers, or JT can slot in on the wing. You guys can probably get Miller without trading any assets on the current roster. You guys have plenty of cap room to re-sign JT and make him the successor to Kopitar - he can lead your team for the next 4-5 years while the Byfields and Turcottes develop.

You guys have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league. A first, top prospect and a roster player or pick is not an ask that will crumble your organization.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
If the Kings are going to spend big assets on a player, it will most likely be a young left-shot defenseman who can play on the first pairing, not another forward. If they are going after a scoring wing, I'd rather see what they can do about acquiring Forsberg than what's being mentioned in this thread. But, in all reality (a world in which Friedman doesn't seem to exist), I don't see Blake dealing top assets for a wing at this point.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Its amazing to see how much message boards forums value prospect and picks over legit player that would give you a legit run at the cup. There's no gurantee with these prospects.

As a Canuck fan nothing pains me more in seeing that we didnt support the Twins enough during their prime years when they were arguably the best players in the NHL and instead we hung on to "Cant miss" prospects like Hodgson and Schroeder because they had good pre-nhl resumes and thought they were the next franchise saviors.

When you have a chance to go for it, you gotta go all in, anything can happen when youre in the playoffs.

If LA has a chance to get a player like Miller, Boeser, Garland without having to move Byfield, Turcotte, Clarke, then hell ya they should pull the trigger.

What if LA has a chance to get a players like Miller, Boeser, Garland and still looking at different trade possibilities?
Can you believe it?

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ

Kings are winning despite of Kopitar, not because of Kopitar.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
The point is that while Kopitar and Doughty are performing at a high level, acquiring a Boeser/Garland/Miller type of player will help take some of the burden off them - especially Miller.

As of now, there's nobody in line to replace those guys.

Why sign Danault and trade two picks for Arvidsson if the plan is just to wait out their contracts and wait another 4-5 years for the young core to flourish?

Miller is someone who can immediately upgrade your team and take a huge load off of Kopitar. They can be 1A/1B centers, or JT can slot in on the wing. You guys can probably get Miller without trading any assets on the current roster. You guys have plenty of cap room to re-sign JT and make him the successor to Kopitar - he can lead your team for the next 4-5 years while the Byfields and Turcottes develop.

You guys have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league. A first, top prospect and a roster player or pick is not an ask that will crumble your organization.

It will not crumble Kings organization, but still there is no reason to overpay for what is not really needed.
Kings needs young elite goalie and young elite LD.
Overpayment makes sense for those type of players.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Kopitar is still an underrated player.

Danault and RV were acquired to help them improve.

The Kings have three very good lines currently.

They also have guys in the AHL that need spots that are blocked by stop gaps and nearly retired vets.

You always look to improve the team. I can’t see going after a center. It’s to clogged as it is.

Boeser I can see but salary (Walker) needs to go the other way.

A deal could definitely be made. Will it, who knows?

I still think assets should go to that LHD need over a winger. Just comes down to cost.

Last edited:

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Between Garland, Boeser, Miller and Pearson which one do Kings fans believe fits their needs most?
- Garland: young, gritty winger with term on a team-friendly contract
- Miller: versatile, all-situations #1 (LW/ C/ good on faceoffs/ PP QB/ shooter/ good on shootouts)
- Boeser: great hands, rediscovering his scoring; will need to re-sign this off-season
- Pearson: y'all know what he brings (foot soldier, good not great at most things but good complementary winger)

Also, in terms of return, for the first three, the return needs to be some mix of RHD (Clarke, Faber...), young/ prospect two way C with size and early picks, otherwise prepare to walk away empty-handed.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Between Garland, Boeser, Miller and Pearson which one do Kings fans believe fits their needs most?
- Miller: versatile, all-situations #1 (LW/ C/ good on faceoffs/ PP QB/ shooter/ good on shootouts)
- Boeser: great hands, rediscovering his scoring; will need to re-sign this off-season
- Pearson: y'all know what he brings (foot soldier, good not great at most things but good complementary winger)

Also, in terms of return, for the first three, the return needs to be some mix of RHD (Clarke, Faber...), young/ prospect two way C with size and early picks, otherwise prepare to walk away empty-handed.
If you read a few of the pages you’ll see that kings are wanting to stand pat / are not willing to pay what we want for any of Boeser/miller/ garland.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole

Clarke isn’t going anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad