Friedman: LA Kings is looking at Vancouver for some scoring addition

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The LA fan proposed Kupari + Grans + 1st for Miller and we agreed upon Vilardi + Grans + 1st for Miller. Its fine if you feel like Miller isn't worth it. Thats your opinion, doesnt mean others dont see the value us Canuck fans know Miller has.

IMO
LA 1st > NYR 1st
Vilardi + Grans = Schneider + small add

Which is why I said its unlikely any team beats the offer. Sounds like you're just sour that other fanbases value Miller enough to pay market value for him

I don’t care what Miller’s actual worth is because it’s not going to end up being what anyone thinks.

I’m just telling you Schneider isn’t going anywhere and you sound like I ruined your day by saying that.

Oh well.

Reactions: kinghock

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
it's very odd to me to see fans so protective of like every prospect and pick in exchange for established good players. I see this a lot in NYR and LAK threads and I'm a caps fan, we have like two solid prospects total and I'm ready to ship them out no problem! Anything to get Ovi another shot at a cup in the next couple years. LAK i think would have a similar approach. Start buying for very good established players to give your old stars like Kopitar and Doughty another chance!

LAK has such a deep pool that they would still be very strong anyway. I'd only keep Clarke, Byfield, and Durzi. Everyone else should be in play

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
it's very odd to me to see fans so protective of like every prospect and pick in exchange for established good players. I see this a lot in NYR and LAK threads and I'm a caps fan, we have like two solid prospects total and I'm ready to ship them out no problem! Anything to get Ovi another shot at a cup in the next couple years. LAK i think would have a similar approach. Start buying for very good established players to give your old stars like Kopitar and Doughty another chance!

LAK has such a deep pool that they would still be very strong anyway. I'd only keep Clarke, Byfield, and Durzi. Everyone else should be in play
I mean I get it… they are ELC contracts and if they can produce remotely what a more established $5M+ player than there’s great value there.

At the same time they all likely won’t pan out they way you hope. Could be a time where you cash in on prospects that never quite amount to what you envision. There’s risk either way you look at it.

Fine line you tread on when to go all-in vs stand pat.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I mean I get it… they are ELC contracts and if they can produce remotely what a more established $5M+ player than there’s great value there.

At the same time they all likely won’t pan out they way you hope. Could be a time where you cash in on prospects that never quite amount to what you envision. There’s risk either way you look at it.

Fine line you tread on when to go all-in vs stand pat.
Yes they need to identify a group of prospects that will make an impact on their ELC while selling the guys who probably won't. Like Turcotte still has that top 5 shine but is he really gonna make an impact for that squad anytime soon? I'd leverage his high draft status in a package for a solid roster player. Vilardi has solid production in the AHL and is near the end of his ELC anyway. There's only so many spots for RHD so definitely one of Grans, Spence, or Faber should be a good trade chip for a team looking to build that side of the defense. They are in a great position to build a very good roster while also taking advantage of ELCs.

They have excess prospects and i imagine they're having a tough time just finding solid consistent playing time in Ontario. It's only gonna get busier after having such solid drafts in recent years too. Pinelli, Chromiak, Faber, and Clarke aren't even there yet

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I don’t care what Miller’s actual worth is because it’s not going to end up being what anyone thinks.

I’m just telling you Schneider isn’t going anywhere and you sound like I ruined your day by saying that.

Oh well.
Time will tell but tbh I doubt he even gets dealt until the off-season.

you know what they say about assumptions right? If you paid attention to the miller to the rangers thread you’d see I was the only canuck fan trying to get others to stop making proposals for schneider as I knew it was something that would not go over well on here.

hope you don’t assume too often though

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ

Kings you are almost done with 3 years of rebuild.
Now LA need to start buying for very good established players to give your old stars like Kopitar and Doughty another chance!
It will make small improvement to the team without winning title.
In a year or 2 Kings need to start new 5 years rebuild.
It do not sound like very good idea to me…

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Is there a reason to push kopitar and doughty out? Forgive me for asking but feels like those 2 have been big part of your core for awhile now. Both seem like they’re still really good players. Is it just you want to turn it over to the new group and/or free up their cap for something bigger or better?

An outsider opinion is that the kings should be ready to legitimately compete again (if not this season then next). Heck kings have been decent this season so why not throw your hat into the ring (playoffs)?

Last edited:

bland

Jul 1, 2004

The older established stars accomplished nothing for the last 7 years. 1 playoff game won in that span. Why augment the fading players when they really need to be replaced?

The Kings fans like myself don't overrate the individual prospects, that's a bunch of fans of other teams not understanding the Kings situation. Its the promise of a new, brighter future that is far more likely to produce results than wasting the fruits of the painful rebuild just to give guys who have already run their race yet another chance at winning a round.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Yes they need to identify a group of prospects that will make an impact on their ELC while selling the guys who probably won't. Like Turcotte still has that top 5 shine but is he really gonna make an impact for that squad anytime soon? I'd leverage his high draft status in a package for a solid roster player. Vilardi has solid production in the AHL and is near the end of his ELC anyway. There's only so many spots for RHD so definitely one of Grans, Spence, or Faber should be a good trade chip for a team looking to build that side of the defense. They are in a great position to build a very good roster while also taking advantage of ELCs.

They have excess prospects and i imagine they're having a tough time just finding solid consistent playing time in Ontario. It's only gonna get busier after having such solid drafts in recent years too. Pinelli, Chromiak, Faber, and Clarke aren't even there yet

Yes, Kings have a lot of assets for good hockey trades.
Those assets can be traded to fill position of need (similarly talented young LD and young elite goalie).
At this point LA is not contender and they should not make trades for very good established older players.
Those players will only block development of Kings young players.

Reactions: KingsOfCali25

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
In a sense it is, though I wouldn't say "despite ". Kopitar and Doughty are still very much the same productive, sound players who haven't had any success for 8 years. The Kings success this year is due to the additions of Danault and Arvidsson, the surge of Kempe, and one of the very best 4th lines in recent NHL memory. Three highly competitive very young defensemen and stable, prime players in Roy, Iafallo and Moore keep them in almost every game.

I still think its a wheel spinning year that would have been best served as taking some lumps while developing the young big ticket kids instead of chasing the playoffs, but even I see a real good team coming together in the middle of this season.

Cute take Kopitar and Drew off the team we are in the draft lottery.

Reactions: Guitpik

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Time will tell but tbh I doubt he even gets dealt until the off-season.

you know what they say about assumptions right? If you paid attention to the miller to the rangers thread you’d see I was the only canuck fan trying to get others to stop making proposals for schneider as I knew it was something that would not go over well on here.

hope you don’t assume too often though

I see you have trouble sensing irony.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Yes, Kings have a lot of assets for good hockey trades.
Those assets can be traded to fill position of need (similarly talented young LD and young elite goalie).
At this point LA is not contender and they should not make trades for very good established older players.
Those players will only block development of Kings young players.

LA isn't a contender? Any team with Kopitar, Danault, Doughty, and Quick playing at their best is a contender. They just happen to have nearly a full supporting cast now. If you exclude the first 8 games of the season (in which they started 1-7), LA is 27-12-6, outscoring opponents 138-121, and since the first of the year, they're 13-5-2. This is a good team.

The bottom line in LA is that there are a lot of established players that aren't going to be supplanted by rookies in the near future. For some of our players, like Vilardi and Anderson-Dolan, their waiver exemptions expire at the start of next season. I think we can find spots for them, but what about the year after that when players like Kupari and Thomas need to make the team? In two years, do we have spots for Vilardi, Kupari, and JAD? If so, where? We have 12 spots for forwards and 9 are already accounted for: Kopitar, Danault, Kempe, Iafallo, Arvidsson, Moore, Lizotte, Kaliyev, and Byfield. I assume we'll be keeping Lemieux as well, which makes 10. There's a non-zero chance Blake re-signs Brown for a year as well, but I won't even count that. Then you've got guys like Grundstrom and Andersson who deserve a shot too.

Where do they all play? Let's even assume we don't keep Lemieux, Grundstrom, or Andersson. We can plug in JAD, Vilardi, and Kupari into those roster spots. What do we do about guys like Turcotte, Fagemo, Helenius, Chromiak, and Thomas?

That's just forwards, too. Our RD depth is Doughty, Roy, Walker, Durzi, Clarke, Grans, Spence, and Strand. Rumor has it Clarke will be on the roster next year, so we have a few decisions to make next season on defense! Do we trade Walker? Does a right-handed guy shift to the left side? Who should be our 7th D?

The bottom line is that Miller's probably better right now than anyone (besides Byfield, perhaps) will ever be and we should probably start using some of our prospect capital to consolidate. Not because I necessarily want to but because we almost have to. And maybe JT Miller isn't the right guy — perhaps an RFA like Boeser is a better target — I can totally get on board with that.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
The bottom line is that Miller's probably better right now than anyone (besides Byfield, perhaps) will ever be and we should probably start using some of our prospect capital to consolidate. Not because I necessarily want to but because we almost have to. And maybe JT Miller isn't the right guy — perhaps an RFA like Boeser is a better target — I can totally get on board with that.
Yes this is my observation as well. Consolidate, build the current roster, and leave some room to transition to younger guys. The Kings don't even have to choose one or the other, they can have both. There's no reason the Kings can't be competitive this season and next while developing the next generation

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
It feel like the kings window to compete (legitimately) has just cracked open again… next season should be no different. Feels like they have made the turn from rebuild to go-time. A good mix of veterans and young players.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
1 year at 7.5 lol

Boeser would more than likely sign a 5 yr extension with either Vancouver or with whomever he was traded to. His incentive to signing a 1yr 7.5M so he can hit unrestricted free agency is a risk his agent would advise highly against - and I'm certain most players want the security of term on their contract as well.

I agree that the QO is too high a number for Boeser but given he's having a bit of a down year I think this is still a very valuable asset. In saying that, I'm in favor of moving Boeser's contract out the door.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Boeser would more than likely sign a 5 yr extension with either Vancouver or with whomever he was traded to. His incentive to signing a 1yr 7.5M so he can hit unrestricted free agency is a risk his agent would advise highly against - and I'm certain most players want the security of term on their contract as well.

I agree that the QO is too high a number for Boeser but given he's having a bit of a down year I think this is still a very valuable asset. In saying that, I'm in favor of moving Boeser's contract out the door.

"More than likely" doesnt work if we are moving high end pieces for him.

Reactions: Guitpik

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3