Claimed off Waivers: LA Kings claim Nikita Scherbak

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
No more Scherback + scraps for players!!
Now other fans will have to whine about having to be forced to accept players like Hudon and co!

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I think it's a good move by Bergevin. Scherbak didn't play consistently enough to warrant making the team. If he can learn to always play a 200 ft game he will be a good player. If he can't learn to do that, he will be underwhelming. Cheers!

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
I think it's a good move by Bergevin.
Because putting your 22 year old former first round pick on waivers without even letting him play more than a couple dozen games in the show can ever be a "good move"? Sure is great management to have a Michael Chaput on your team rather than investing on players development... Scherbak is raw and sure needs time but he's got the talent and attitude to be a top 9 player on any given team. If LA doesn't claim him, 20 other teams would have. Bergevin messed up another asset.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Hope he enjoys playing Fortnite on western servers.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
he's a very frustrating but skilled player. Put him with a sniper and he should do well if you can live with his below average defensive game and at times he just does dumb **** out there. But what a playmaker and he can snipe it. I really hope he does well, can't believe the Habs didn't at least give him a few games to see what he can do before risking losing him on waivers for nothing.

Scherbak makes all his coaches go crazy with his bad and lazy plays but for sure he has talent.

I think he will be out of the NHL in 1-2 years.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Any player under the age of 35 on waivers will be claimed by the Kings. They're that desperate.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He's so so so so soooooo bad.

I hope our scouting staff is taking note of all the garbage 1st round/early 2nd round picks they've made in the past few years.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Because putting your 22 year old former first round pick on waivers without even letting him play more than a couple dozen games in the show can ever be a "good move"? Sure is great management to have a Michael Chaput on your team rather than investing on players development... Scherbak is raw and sure needs time but he's got the talent and attitude to be a top 9 player on any given team. If LA doesn't claim him, 20 other teams would have. Bergevin messed up another asset.
Why did you put your words in my quote? Can you edit your words into your own comment ?

That's what waivers are for - Bergevin has learned to let guys go - that's a good thing. The Habs don't want to hold onto guys who aren't good enough to make the team just because they can't get back an asset on the trade block.

Maybe Scherbak becomes a better player than Chaput and Agostino but maybe he doesn't. When he's moving his feet and playing a 200 foot game he can be effective, but he doesn't play that way consistently. Not all prospects pan out - that's life. Personally I'd rather the Habs not have Scherbak on their NHL roster than have him. I guess they feel the same way. If he could be in the AHL that would be a different story. Good luck to him in LA.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it's a good move by Bergevin. Scherbak didn't play consistently enough to warrant making the team. If he can learn to always play a 200 ft game he will be a good player. If he can't learn to do that, he will be underwhelming. Cheers!

Scherbak didn't even play one NHL game this year. Habs made their decision based on practice. We will see how this kid does with a new coaching staff. He's got skills for sure but can he measure up to his potential ceiling with actual results? We will see

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Scherbak didn't even play one NHL game this year. Habs made their decision based on practice. We will see how this kid does with a new coaching staff. He's got skills for sure but can he measure up to his potential ceiling with actual results? We will see

Since he turned pro.

He was benched by Michel Therrien (he even said it was the first time he benched a player in a pre-season game!), Sylvain Lefebvre (AHL), and Claude Julien.

I mean Claude Julien prefers Kenny Agostino than Nikita Scherbak... it gives the idea.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Since he turned pro.

He was benched by Michel Therrien (he even said it was the first time he benched a player in a pre-season game!), Sylvain Lefebvre (AHL), and Claude Julien.

Some coaches allow the player to learn on the job but clearly... The MT and CJ types don't. I'm not high or low on Scherbak. I do know the skill is there but he is struggling to reach his potential. I just don't like this Rebound/Price season where we have middle of the pack strategy. We could of easily made room in the bottom of the line-up for DLR and Scherbak to learn on the job. But no, we are in a rebound year where we don't have time for players to learn on the job.

Reactions: montreal

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Some coaches allow the player to learn on the job but clearly... The MT and CJ types don't. I'm not high or low on Scherbak. I do know the skill is there but he is struggling to reach his potential. I just don't like this Rebound/Price season where we have middle of the pack strategy. We could of easily made room in the bottom of the line-up for DLR and Scherbak to learn on the job. But no, we are in a rebound year where we don't have time for players to learn on the job.

These players have been pros for 4 years and they stalled in their development. They will most likely never reach it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
These players have been pros for 4 years and they stalled in their development. They will most likely never reach it.

Agreed but why not play them in the NHL for a larger sample size? Losing them for nothing is disappointing but what't the point? It comes down to a rebound/pride year. They can't tolerate learning on the job. I don't agree with this middle of the pack strategy

Reactions: montreal

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Agreed but why not play them in the NHL for a larger sample size? Losing them for nothing is disappointing but what't the point? It comes down to a rebound/pride year. They can't tolerate learning on the job. I don't agree with this middle of the pack strategy

Maybe, but all the teams try to win until at least January....

I think it's time to change the Amateur scouts.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
:laugh: he loses a former 1st round Pick that was picked when he was GM for nothing..

Good move :laugh:

Not much he could do there to avoid it..
i am just surprised we didnt get anything at all in a trade

too bad.. he's got flashes where he is super exciting to watch,
then you see him play nonchalantly and cause turnovers. this is a "meh" kind of news for me

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Anybody ever think that maybe he didn't ever crack the roster because he just simply wasn't good enough? I just got filled in pretty badly in another thread about how Charles Hudon can't keep up with NHL skaters, although he is very skilled too. Its literally the exact same thing that applies to Scherbak, all the talent in the world but he simply just can't keep up! Sure, he can show off some nice flashes in open space, but the vast majority of NHLers can too. Poor Agostino gets ripped on here because he's earned his spot in the show by busting his balls so many years in the AHL, it humors me that him and the other 4th line guys for the habs get crapped on because they can actually play

Reactions: Agalloch

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Just curious, but what’s good asset management for a non waiver exempt player that can’t force themselves on to the team? You bench the guys that have shown more than said player to help the player out or something? Put the team concept 2nd or something? Just spitballing here, what do you think?

Well, I guess he could have been worth a pick at least. It's not like Habs didn't know Weber was coming back and when. You offer him to teams for cheap, which still could be more than giving away on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad