Claimed off Waivers: LA Kings claim Nikita Scherbak

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
And the Habs GM continues his stupidity. The organization as a whole needs to revamped, especially player development.

Well first off it was completely changed this offseason....

Also, bad efforts and injury proneness can't be fixed that easily.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I'm puzzled that Blake put in a claim for him and not Zykov, who seems like the better player and was drafted by LA. I reasoned at the time that, maybe, Zykov was passed on because he's Russian and Desjardins hasn't been good for Kovalchuk, but Scherbak is Russian, as well. If even Kovalchuk struggles to get ice time with Desjardins, I can't see Scherbak getting what he needs to develop and agree with the guy who suggested that he might end up on waivers again in a month or two. We'll see, though.

Edit: Ah, I just read that Kovalchuk is out for a month. That may explain the claim for Scherbak and not Zykov, since Kovalchuk was healthy when Zykov was on waivers.
Contract length, Zykov has another year.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
And the Habs GM continues his stupidity. The organization as a whole needs to revamped, especially player development.
I mean I’m a little confused as to the timing. No pressing need to discard Scherbak at this very point in time but it’s not like this move is gonna bite Bergevin in the ass or something. Scherbak just isn’t an NHL talent.

Reactions: Vachon23

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I mean I’m a little confused as to the timing. No pressing need to discard Scherbak at this very point in time but it’s not like this move is gonna bite Bergevin in the ass or something. Scherbak just isn’t an NHL talent.

Weird - I've read over and over on this board that he's on the verge of breaking out? Young winger with good scoring upside?

Lol. Classic

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
What’s the scoop on this guy?
He's a talented kid who hasn't figured out how to play without the puck yet. Injuries have set back his development some. He put up ppg numbers in Laval last year, going up and down (played 30 games). He needs a solid stretch of NHL games in a top six role. Let him play and figure it out if he can. 4th line minutes and second unit pp time are not going to help him - which is what he got when he was called up. He was visibly frustrated during interviews this year, which took away from the fact that his natural state is to be smiling and laughing and joking around quite a lot. I wish him the best.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Contract length, Zykov has another year.

I don't think that that's the reason because they could've put him back on waivers or traded him in the off-season. He's desirable and young enough that someone else likely would've taken him for free, even if he flopped in LA. If, instead, he had shown promise--and LA isn't claiming anyone without hoping to hit a home run--having a promising young player under contract for only $700K (the league minimum) next season would've been a nice thing to have. In comparison, if Scherbak happens to show some promise with LA and they decide to re-sign him, they have to offer him at least $875K (105% of this year's salary). He may not even accept that and want more, thinking that he has the leverage (because he's a former 1st-rounder, LA is desperate and he could always bolt to the KHL). The chances of him being on the team next year seem a bit low to me, whereas having Zykov under contract for only $700K next season seems like a good thing to me, even to (if not especially to) a cap-strapped team.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I'm puzzled that Blake put in a claim for him and not Zykov, who seems like the better player and was drafted by LA. I reasoned at the time that, maybe, Zykov was passed on because he's Russian and Desjardins hasn't been good for Kovalchuk, but Scherbak is Russian, as well. If even Kovalchuk struggles to get ice time with Desjardins, I can't see Scherbak getting what he needs to develop and agree with the guy who suggested that he might end up on waivers again in a month or two. We'll see, though.

Edit: Ah, I just read that Kovalchuk is out for a month. That may explain the claim for Scherbak and not Zykov, since Kovalchuk was healthy when Zykov was on waivers.

The actual reason by Jon Rosen was Zykov had a additional year after this season and Kings organization didnt want to commit pass this year.Scherbak contract ends after this year.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The actual reason by Jon Rosen was Zykov had a additional year after this season and Kings organization didnt want to commit pass this year.Scherbak contract ends after this year.

Ok, if that's actually the reported reason, I stand corrected. Thanks for the information. I still think that it's a bad reason for the reasons that I just gave, though. I don't understand what Blake is doing. He wants to add youth and skill and is willing to trade assets and give Nylander almost $7M for 6 years, but shies away from a free Zykov over $700K for 1 more year.

Last edited:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

I think Scherbak is a better player, but that's not saying much. But another big factor is the extra year on Zykov's deal.

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
Ok, if that's actually the reported reason, I stand corrected. Thanks for the information. I still think that it's a bad reason for the reasons that I just gave, though. I don't understand what Blake is doing. He wants to add youth and skill and is willing to trade assets and give Nylander almost $7M for 6 years, but shies away from a free Zykov over $700K for 1 more year.
You’re still trying to read something that isn’t there. It’s not about he $700k, it’s about the contract slot for next season.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You’re still trying to read something that isn’t there. It’s not about he $700k, it’s about the contract slot for next season.

They have only 32 players under contract next season and will have only 41 if they re-sign all of their RFAs. The maximum number of contracts is 50. They aren't anywhere near it.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
They have only 32 players under contract next season and will have only 41 if they re-sign all of their RFAs. The maximum number of contracts is 50. They aren't anywhere near it.
I agree. If they like Scherbak and he plays well, he will very likely be paid more than what Zykov would be making. If he doesn't play well, he is likely off to the KHL this summer.

If you claim Zykov and he does well, you have another very cheap year before a new deal. If he doesn't, you waive him and if he goes unclaimed, you have another camp and year to try and polish him.

If Scherbak is just rated higher, fine, that makes perfect sense. But the contract argument actually works in favor of Zykov, not against him.

Reactions: Fragmuffin

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I don’t see NHL top 6 player for Nikita, he is flashy but inconsistent. Typical player who got all the skills to succeed but has no IQ at all... he can’t play defensively at all

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well Kovalchuk is having ankle surgery, so there is a spot open on the roster for Scherbok to show his stuff. Now if Coach WD (Weally Dumb) plays him more than 5 minutes a game is another story.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
he's a very frustrating but skilled player. Put him with a sniper and he should do well if you can live with his below average defensive game and at times he just does dumb shit out there. But what a playmaker and he can snipe it. I really hope he does well, can't believe the Habs didn't at least give him a few games to see what he can do before risking losing him on waivers for nothing.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Scherbak management's was a whole mess from the beginning but the beginning wasnt with the habs. Two days after 2014-2015 whl season-opening, the Silvertips’ lineup gained a great deal of firepower with the acquisition of Nikita Scherbak in a trade with Saskatoon. He made his Silvertips debut in the home opener on October 3, thrilling the home crowd with two goals and three points. Everything after made by Kevin Constantine wasnt great for the kid. Let run a mustang when you got one. Scherbak was in cage there and it seems he never escape. LA has a job to do with his mental.

Screw you Constantine!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad