Claimed off Waivers: LA Kings claim Nikita Scherbak

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
He was good. Got misused, and scratched because of his nationality. Anyone blaming him for his play hasn't watched. He was given zero chance because WD really dislikes Russians.

What? :laugh:

If you got a team (Detroit)which has 36 pts and the last place team in the NHL has 33 points...your a last place team...you know what i say...lol

Put DLR on the Lighting or Cup contender ..then tell me why he don't play..lol

Ok buddy, if you say so

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Nikita Scherbak is a great kid with a great attitude. Just simply not NHL material. Not mishandled nor discriminated against based on nationality. Just slowwwww.

Could still do well in the AHL or Europe.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
No doubt the overreaction was hilarious but expected. The same will happen when Hudon is waived.

Except Hudon is better than Scherbak and someone the Montreal Canadiens shouldn't waive. Objectively, Hudon is our 10 or 11th best forward, we just already have too much of what he brings in guys like Lehkonen, Shaw, Gallagher, Byron and our coach likes to play physical guys on the fourth line, so there's no place for him right now.

Our system depends on speed a lot this year, and since Hudon certainly isn't the fastest guy on our roster, that change has hurt his standing on our team a bit. With a new team that doesn't have our depth on wing (and a system that purely caters to speed), Hudon probably ends up producing and being a pretty good middle-6er.

Reactions: Eagle Peninsula

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Except Hudon is better than Scherbak and someone the Montreal Canadiens shouldn't waive. Objectively, Hudon is our 10 or 11th best forward, we just already have too much of what he brings in guys like Lehkonen, Shaw, Gallagher, Byron and our coach likes to play physical guys on the fourth line, so there's no place for him right now.

Our system depends on speed a lot this year, and since Hudon certainly isn't the fastest guy on our roster, that change has hurt his standing on our team a bit. With a new team that doesn't have our depth on wing (and a system that purely caters to speed), Hudon probably ends up producing and being a pretty good middle-6er.

Hudon is a fringe NHLer at best. If they can't find a trade partner than they should waive him when Shaw or Schlemko are ready to come back. I can't see him being any part of the teams future. In the summer, it will be McCarron's time to go. Clean out the failed prospects and move forward with the new crop.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Hudon is a fringe NHLer at best. If they can't find a trade partner than they should waive him when Shaw or Schlemko are ready to come back. I can't see him being any part of the teams future. In the summer, it will be McCarron's time to go. Clean out the failed prospects and move forward with the new crop.

I don't agree at all with that statement. Last year he had 30 points for us playing some pretty good hockey and I think he's in a similar situation now as Byron was in Calgary back in the day, needing a change of scenery to shine elsewhere. I think he could thrive in a support role for a team that needs secondary scoring (Edmonton could be a pretty good spot for him) as he definitely has the skills, the IQ and the arsenal of shots necessary to put up some points.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Excited to see the Kings try to mold him into a fourth line checking forward!

I still think he has potential but needs to give his head a big shake before he can amount to anything in the NHL. A checking forward he won't be, though.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Imagine believing that a coach would

Imagine believing this garbage :biglaugh:
I don't think a coach says, "I know this guy is a better player than another guy, but I'm not going to play him because of his nationality."

But I do believe there are coaches who think "This guy is talented but he's not playing the game how I want it to be played, and thus I'm going to play a less 'talented' guy who does things the way I like it done" and as a result of that thinking, they make some pretty stupid mistakes.

Just my opinion, but of the 4 major sports (sorry futbol) hockey coaches are the most backward thinking, traditionalist to the point of resistant to innovation of all.

Reactions: _Del_ and funky

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I don't think a coach says, "I know this guy is a better player than another guy, but I'm not going to play him because of his nationality."

But I do believe there are coaches who think "This guy is talented but he's not playing the game how I want it to be played, and thus I'm going to play a less 'talented' guy who does things the way I like it done" and as a result of that thinking, they make some pretty stupid mistakes.

Just my opinion, but of the 4 major sports (sorry futbol) hockey coaches are the most backward thinking, traditionalist to the point of resistant to innovation of all.

Ok but that’s quite a bit different than “I won’t play him because he’s Russian”

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Scherbak with zero pts in his first three games back in the AHL.

His season stats now read:
NHL- 8 games, 1 goal, 0 assists
AHL- 8 games, 1 goal, 0 assists

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad