Rumor: Kyle Dubas travels to to NYC to take in the flames vs rangers game. Why?

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
Kreider + Skjei for Nylander + Gardiner as a base is really appealing to me. This all assuming that Nylander and the Rangers have agreed to terms, before a deal is made.

The value difference between a signed Nylander and soon to be UFA Kreider gets close when we take in account the contract situations with Skjei and Gardiner.

Rangers could just ship off Gardiner at the deadline, after showcasing him - not that his offence needs it too much, his numbers pretty much back him up.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Kreider + Skjei for Nylander + Gardiner as a base is really appealing to me. This all assuming that Nylander and the Rangers have agreed to terms, before a deal is made.

The value difference between a signed Nylander and soon to be UFA Kreider gets close when we take in account the contract situations with Skjei and Gardiner.

Rangers could just ship off Gardiner at the deadline, after showcasing him - not that his offence needs it too much, his numbers pretty much back him up.

A soon to be UFA Kreider? He signed a four year deal that his basically half over. You’re getting the rest of this season and all of next season of him in his prime. That’s not a soon to be UFA.

Last edited:

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
If the plus is the main piece then why even propose the throw ins first?

I stated I had no idea what the plus would be it's all right there if you hadent been so reactionary .

If you read it I stated I didn't know what the plus was because NY will be a bottom team .

Possible lottery pick as well would be too much or am I off ? I was trying to get feedback on what made sense to add Zuc / Buchjevich / etc as I didn't know .

There is other value like getting useful players for a run....

1 with a couple of Lord Stanley's who played for the Leafs Kryponite and will create Ice in other ways . The other who is a Boston boy who brings a massive frame for the playoffs and versatility .

No cap implications for next year or maybe they get 1 or both at a discount if they win.

I personally think they are horrible trade partners but if I had to a trade with NY this made sense as a base knowing the cap will be a problem and probually help more now than the assets from an offer sheets depending on the agreed plus.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Are you guys serious with these proposals? This is page after page of horrendous offers for a first line player. Would you trade a young 60+ point first liner for a third pairing D and a 40 point center?
Its actually horrendous some of the posts in this thread. People go on and on about how bad Leaf fans proposals are, but this thread makes my eyes bleed.

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Casually disregarding the PLUS +
Maybe wipe those eyes.
I mean, if I told you that the Leafs would trade you Jeremy Bracco+ for Brady Skjei or Zibanejad, how would you take that? It doesn't matter that there is a plus, because you'd expect the plus to be bigger than the named pieces if you're trading Skjei. Hayes and McQuad are a horrendous basis for the trade from the Leafs perspective.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Apparently Shanahan was there too, sounds like he's had to step in for the meetings with Lewis Gross as Dubas is getting overwhelmed with the negotiations.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Does seem quite fishy Dubas is at MSG less than a week after Rangers scouts were in Toronto. Maybe there is a deal to be made. Could be Nylander, also could be just minor pieces for McQuaid or someone. Who knows

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This thread perfectly captures HF trades haha. Are people being legitimate or just trying to get a reaction out of Leaf fans?

Lundqvist who is not at the top of his game anymore and has one foot in retirement for a goalie who was 4th in Vezina voting last year, a decade younger, a big part of the room, and one of the best goalies in the league? And then, on top of that, for the pleasure of downgrading, adding cap and age, they ALSO add a 22 year old first liner and a 1st? Are we f***ing kidding? This would be the worst trade in Leafs history. Worse than the Kessel deal.

Nylander for a bunch of depth pieces that would barely upgrade on our bottom pair and bottom 6 lines? No. Just no.

Nylander for a LD? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Apparently Shanahan was there too, sounds like he's had to step in for the meetings with Lewis Gross as Dubas is getting overwhelmed with the negotiations.

Exactly. Dubas is the only one weak enough to actually use his front office staff to help him evaluate players or go to meetings or do any work. Everyone knows a good GM tells his staff to pound sand and they will handle it.

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
I mean, if I told you that the Leafs would trade you Jeremy Bracco+ for Brady Skjei, how would you take that? It doesn't matter that there is a plus, because you'd expect the plus to be bigger than the named pieces if you're trading Skjei. Hayes and McQuad are a horrendous basis for the trade from the Leafs perspective.

It wasent Jeremy Bracco +

It was 2 veteran guys on expiring contracts......both huge men one who plays 3 forward positions scores at a respectable rate , the other who has 2 cups fills the need for physicality which they have lacked as well as being a former player on the mystery they can't solve.

A Plus that I will mention again which I think youre like the 5th poster not to mention it consecutively . Wow

How many NHL games has Bracco + played ?

Not remotley similar to what I posted but thanks for the respectful analysis .

It's a proposal based on what NY could offer as like I've said they are terrible partners .

I'm only stating what makes sense in a win now perspective not picks or D prospects or offensive RHD none of which the Leafs need presently .

Another team offers a better fit obviously I'm just saying if it was me and just my opinion this is what I would target as a base if it had to be New York knowing Cap implictions moving forward .

Hayes easily fetches a 2nd McQuaid at least a third ...most likey more alone at the deadline.

And the PLUS was to be determined .
Zuc /Buchnevich or whoever was decided on would at least have value of a first .

There are worse players that got less I won't bother with examples you probually won't mention them lol

Nylander doesn't have a contract has that been mentioned ?

So know Bracco + is irrelavent especially with no context .

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
It wasent Jeremy Bracco +

It was 2 veteran guys on expiring contracts......both huge men one who plays 3 forward positions scores at a respectable rate , the other who has 2 cups fills the need for physicality which they have lacked as well as being a former player on the mystery they can't solve.

A Plus that I will mention again which I think youre like the 5th poster not to mention it consecutively . Wow

How many NHL games has Bracco + played ?

Not remotley similar to what I posted but thanks for the respectful analysis .

It's a proposal based on what NY could offer as like I've said they are terrible partners .

I'm only stating what makes sense in a win now perspective not picks or D prospects or offensive RHD none of which the Leafs need presently .

Another team offers a better fit obviously I'm just saying if it was me and just my opinion this is what I would target as a base if it had to be New York knowing Cap implictions moving forward .

Hayes easily fetches a 2nd McQuaid at least a third ...most likey more alone at the deadline.

And the PLUS was to be determined .
Zuc /Buchnevich or whoever was decided on would at least have value of a first .

There are worse players that got less I won't bother with examples you probually won't mention them lol

Nylander doesn't have a contract has that been mentioned ?

So know Bracco + is irrelavent especially with no context .
Hayes and McQuad+ is a non-started for Nylander. Thats like saying a 2nd Rounder + 3rd Rounder +. The basis is bad, what is needed to be added to the trade is more valuable than the basis. The reason you are getting so many replies is because the trade is bad. I'm sure it looks great from a Rangers perspective, Leafs aren't interested though. I know you're trying to save face justifying the offer, but it is just bad for the Leafs and doesn't offer us anything that we don't already have.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Shattenkirk is a great player but not what we need. We already have 2 great offensive dman but desparately need a hard nosed stay at home type dman

The Leafs will not likely be adding a stay at home type. It seems very counter to the types of players Dubas values, and those types of defenders are almost always overrated. Some are quite good (Manson, Chara, Dumolin) but the price to acquire the actually good ones would be way too high. Most are terrible (Russell, Girardi) and would actually make their D worse.

The Leafs are more likely to try and added a 2 way guy who maybe has been underrated a lot because they were thought to be more offensive, but that part of their game just never really translated to a lot of points. Guys like Jensen, Pysyk.

With the Rangers, he could be scouting a number of players, whether they are UFA forwards, or maybe he is looking at something a little creative, like looking at the cost of moving Zaitsev for Shattenkirk. Shattenkirk may not be worth what he is getting paid, but he is far more talented than Zaitsev, has less term, and will likely come closer to justifying his contract than Zatisev will. He isn't the answer to the Leafs D, but in that instance he would be an upgrade.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Given the types of guys Dubas values, I wonder if he is there scouting R. Andersen from Calgary?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
A deal will be announced today. 6 x 5.95 is my guess. It’ll be a steal for the Leafs and everyone will wonder what Nylander was waiting for

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad