Rumor: Kyle Dubas met with Mikhail Grigorenko and Nikita Nesterov (KHL)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
But has Grigorenko actually developed? Or is the KHL just a better league for his skillset? Because he's not exactly fleet-footed, he's not hard on pucks, and he tends very much towards east-west rather than north-south hockey.

Even still, if the Leafs hypothetically sign him to a one-year show-me deal, what's the harm? If he comes in and meshes with their established talent, giving them some additional creativity for the one of the PP units and mid-line depth (say at RW), great. And if he fails, then the Marlies get a guy one would think is motivated to show NA scouts he still has something to his game in the AHL. If it works for them, it's a win. And if it doesn't, their farm club still likely gets a boost. Not sure why people are upset here.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Even still, if the Leafs hypothetically sign him to a one-year show-me deal, what's the harm? If he comes in and meshes with their established talent, giving them some additional creativity for the one of the PP units and mid-line depth (say at RW), great. And if he fails, then the Marlies get a guy one would think is motivated to show NA scouts he still has something to his game in the AHL. If it works for them, it's a win. And if it doesn't, their farm club still likely gets a boost. Not sure why people are upset here.

Oh, no harm in rummaging through the bargain bin and seeing if there's anything there. I'm just questioning whether his game has actually improved, or if people are just leaping to that conclusion because he can score in a league that plays a very different brand of hockey than the NHL.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
You’re right, there’s no harm... I just don’t know why they’re targeting a player whose redundant at best. They’ll already be putting either Trevor Moore or Ilya Mikheyev on the 4th line despite both earning more ice. They’ve got plenty of middle 6 wingers who do more than the Grigorenko that I know.

Players who can contribute in ways other than offense are far more needed right now.

The Leafs score goals. The challenge is stopping them, and not getting punked by your little sister.

Reactions: teddygmr

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
You’re right, there’s no harm... I just don’t know why they’re targeting a player whose redundant at best. They’ll already be putting either Trevor Moore or Ilya Mikheyev on the 4th line despite both earning more ice. They’ve got plenty of middle 6 wingers who do more than the Grigorenko that I know.

Players who can contribute in ways other than offense are far more needed right now.

The Leafs score goals. The challenge is stopping them, and not getting punked by your little sister.

I'm not convinced the Leafs are going to have an easy time re-signing Mikheyev and with the make-up currently of the blueline it seems possible, perhaps even probable, that a winger like Kapanen gets moved for a d-man in a bit of a shuffle. Need to keep getting guys coming in that can play 4th line but also do a bit on the 3rd line and be able to make a play and chip in.

Last edited:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I'm not convinced the Leafs are gonna be able to re-sign Mikheyev and with the make-up currently of the blueline it seems possible, perhaps even probable, that a winger like Kapanen gets moved for a d-man in a bit of a shuffle. Need to keep getting guys coming in that can play 4th line but also do a bit on the 3rd line and be able to make a play and chip in.
Yeah, his success might price him out of town. Hopefully not... I think you’re right about Kapanen or possibly Johnsson as well. It’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Theres no real harm, I’m just not a fan and doubtful he’s better than an internal option. I’d prefer the more versatile KHL FA’s like Nick Shore who address a need. Grigorenko can’t play centre and was never much of a PK’er from what I recall. Any role he could fill already has better candidates in the pipeline IMO.

The organization needs depth at centre and defense. Journeyman depth wingers are a dime a dozen.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Yeah, his success might price him out of town. Hopefully not... I think you’re right about Kapanen or possibly Johnsson as well. It’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Theres no real harm, I’m just not a fan and doubtful he’s better than an internal option. I’d prefer the more versatile KHL FA’s like Nick Shore who address a need. Grigorenko can’t play centre and was never much of a PK’er from what I recall. Any role he could fill already has better candidates in the pipeline IMO.

The organization needs depth at centre and defense. Journeyman depth wingers are a dime a dozen.

We seem to be ok up the middle ... for now. Defense on the other hand is gonna be problematic, I don't see how this roster doesn't undergo significant retooling again just as bad as it did this past off-season ala Kadri trade. Dermott emerging as a sure-fire top 4 d-man this season would make things incredibly easier.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
We seem to be ok up the middle ... for now. Defense on the other hand is gonna be problematic, I don't see how this roster doesn't undergo significant retooling again just as bad as it did this past off-season ala Kadri trade. Dermott emerging as a sure-fire top 4 d-man this season would make things incredibly easier.
Barring injury or suspension. Kerfoot is a very good 3rd C but he’ll leave much to be desired if 91 or 34 go down. That’ll also mean Shore, Spezza or Gauthier at 3. Ouch.

I liked both Korshkov and Engvall who IMO are both preferable to Grigorenko. I think if they’re targeting international free agent forwards with pro experience it should be at centre. They can always shift to wing but it doesn’t usually work as easily the other way.

I’ll be happy to eat my words if this ends up being fruitful.

Reactions: teddygmr

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Actually, it likely just means Nylander shifts over to center for those games.
Ha I thought of that after I posted.

I just meant to illustrate that the Leafs have been spoiled since Matthews arrived. Kadri and Bozak were capable 2c’s and Tavares came when Bozak left.

Point remains they’re much thiner at centre than anywhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad