Rumor: Kyle Dubas met with Mikhail Grigorenko and Nikita Nesterov (KHL)

Weast

May 16, 2011
I, for one, really like Grigorenko with the Avs. Guy was slow as all hell and didn't really have any hands and was kind of daft. Well now that I think about it, I really only liked his shot and saying his name

Reactions: 7even

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Grigorenko tries to play the game similar to Joe Thornton where he holds on to the puck and distributes from the wall/face-off circle. The problem with his game at the NHL level was he somehow makes Joe look intense and has 1/2 of his strength and puck possession. It led to him being a black hole at both ends of the rink. He wont kill you defensively and wont do much offensively.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
No harm in that at all. It's no secret Leafs gotta find some low priced players to fill out roster with the high priced guys they have. IMO all GMs should be doing this.

Good on Dubas for getting out there. I'm sure more GMs are doing this too but obviously we just hear more about what TO does always.

I'm not a fan at all of these 2 players but hey, why not... well done Dubas

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You guys literally just traded for one of our bargain bins and remarked how well he looked in camp so no, there are a ton of good pieces they brought in.

Ha. Rosen wasn’t exactly the linchpin of the Barrie trade. And yeah, we hope he’ll be a decent bottom pairing defenseman for us in the future. For now, he’s still in the AHL. And that’s kinda my point. Most of these guys are replacement level players, give or take. Your odds are probably a bit better if you can discover a late bloomer that went undrafted. But these guys that have had their shot in the NHL probably didn’t stick for a reason.

Reactions: Stubu

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
There is zero downside to signing either of these players because they'll both be making next to nothing. How people find a way to complain about this is beyond me. Grigorenko's obviously not going to turn into the type of player people hoped, but he's clearly got NHL talent.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Marner probably owes Dubas an apology for having him go half way across the world to shop at the Dollar Store in hopes of finding an unexpired bin item...

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
Why not? Mikheyev has been fantastic, doesn’t hurt to take keep looking

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Neither is very good honestly. Not sure what happened with Grigorenko, he seemed like a future star player.

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
Lol everyone acting like Dubas has signed them already. Relax it was a meeting (apparently)

it’s a GM doing his job scouting stuff out. Mikheyev has worked out so far, Zaitsev was a disaster. Rosen, Borgman, meh. Not great. But every single one of them came and got a shot and didn’t cost a pick, player, or prospect. Jesus. I’m sure GMs of other teams are doing the same thing but since it’s the leafs everyone goes haywire

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Neither is very good honestly. Not sure what happened with Grigorenko, he seemed like a future star player.

Maybe he won't ever be the player he was projected to be, but I think it's not outlandish to think that he can be better than what he's shown in the NHL so far. I think it's safe to say that getting bounced between the NHL and juniors for his first 3 seasons in Buffalo didn't help his development at all. And, then he came to Colorado and played on two bad teams, including the 2016-17 dumpster fire, and then he was gone. I'm not sure he'll succeed with another chance on a good team, but I can see why a GM might be interested to see what he can do on a team that isn't horribad.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Grigorenko tries to play the game similar to Joe Thornton where he holds on to the puck and distributes from the wall/face-off circle. The problem with his game at the NHL level was he somehow makes Joe look intense and has 1/2 of his strength and puck possession. It led to him being a black hole at both ends of the rink. He wont kill you defensively and wont do much offensively.

He has since developed... he’s totally a different player in the KHL...His skating has improved along with his decision making.

He’s become a very good player

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Lol everyone acting like Dubas has signed them already. Relax it was a meeting (apparently)

it’s a GM doing his job scouting stuff out. Mikheyev has worked out so far, Zaitsev was a disaster. Rosen, Borgman, meh. Not great. But every single one of them came and got a shot and didn’t cost a pick, player, or prospect. Jesus. I’m sure GMs of other teams are doing the same thing but since it’s the leafs everyone goes haywire
Zaitsev wasn’t even a disaster, he was a decent 4/5/6 kinda guy. Lou was just a disaster.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And if he signs them? So what…? It isn’t like the Leafs haven’t shown a willingness to sign pro players from Europe as depth pieces and if they don’t make the Buds, the Marlies are stacked.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Grigorenko's first goal was against us.

He was drafted by the Sabres at the same time Girgensons was.
Leafs fans had an outcry that the Sabres were drafting C's and good ones and we were not.
Rielly (and Ceci now) were good consolation prizes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad