Rumor: Kyle Dubas met with Mikhail Grigorenko and Nikita Nesterov (KHL)

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
It’s a bargain bin for a reason. Zaitsev is probably one of the best possible outcomes.

Risk is non-existent so there’s no harm in it just very little upside too.

Zaitsev
Panarin
Dadonov
Mikheyev
Bobrovsky
Niemi
Raanta
Kempny
Zuccarello

Active Euro UFAs

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Dont see why people are getting bent outta shape with this. He has looked good in the KHL. He was PPG last season in the regular season and Playoffs and has continued that so far this season. If he wants to sign and it works out great if it doesn't oh well. It's a free lottery ticket on a guy who was once well regarded.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So is signing basically all fringe roster depth, might as well take a swing at it.

Not a huge negative if they don't work out... yeah, I agree with that. But I think there are other pieces you can acquire that help in the depth department area. Leafs need to get good skaters that are tough to fill the bottom of the line-up. I'm not so sure these two will help out with that team need.

Look for Dubas to make move after move like this in the coming years. That's the difficulty with you have go cap space and any inflation moving forward goes to Andersen and Rielly. Not having the 1st in 19 and 20 drafts are going to hurt more than some are willing to admit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dadonov was barely an AHLer when he went back home ... players can still develop after they turn 22

True but Nesterov and Grigorenko? Age 26 and 25 and we already have a solid NHL sample size to evaluate. If you think they are late bloomer types, all the power to you if you want to waste $1M of actual money from your owners pocket.

It's true, there are lots of players who bust out of nowhere in the 25-30 age range. But then again, there are a hell of a lot more that don't. Take your pick I guess and hope you hit

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Not a huge negative if they don't work out... yeah, I agree with that. But I think there are other pieces you can acquire that help in the depth department area. Leafs need to get good skaters that are tough to fill the bottom of the line-up. I'm not so sure these two will help out with that team need.

Look for Dubas to make move after move like this in the coming years. That's the difficulty with you have go cap space and any inflation moving forward goes to Andersen and Rielly. Not having the 1st in 19 and 20 drafts are going to hurt more than some are willing to admit.

Ya, not having those 1sts is gonna hurt - alot, but Dubas had to do that and now he needs to go out and find as much talent as possible and grind as hard as possible to minimize it.

Mikheyev is gonna be hard to re-sign, all these guys are which is why you need to keep a flow of talent and players coming using any avenue possible.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
True but Nesterov and Grigorenko? Age 26 and 25 and we already have a solid NHL sample size to evaluate. If you think they are late bloomer types, all the power to you if you want to waste $1M of actual money from your owners pocket.

It's true, there are lots of players who bust out of nowhere in the 25-30 age range. But then again, there are a hell of a lot more that don't. Take your pick I guess and hope you hit

I’ve watched Grigorenko become a PPG player in the KHL... he was very good in the playoffs... he has developed into a very good playmaker

He can be around 50-60 points in the NHL with his development

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Dadonov was barely an AHLer when he went back home ... players can still develop after they turn 22

But has Grigorenko actually developed? Or is the KHL just a better league for his skillset? Because he's not exactly fleet-footed, he's not hard on pucks, and he tends very much towards east-west rather than north-south hockey.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
They’ll probably take discounts to sign in Toronto.

Grigorenko 8.5m x 6 years
Nesterov 6.5m x 6 years

Thats like a bogo deal for Kyle Dubas.
No, leafs don't need had contracts. We have our core signed no so we couldn't afford those contracts anyway.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I'm trying to remember, Nesterov only switched to D at like 20 right? He used to be a winger?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Have seen a good bit of the 2 in the KHL while watching Romanov, Grigorenko has looked good and I said on the Habs board I felt there would be NHL interest but he is helped by playing with Kaprizov who is such an impressive player. I would look at Okulov instead, it was rumored that the Habs tried to sign him this past summer but he opted to return to CSKA for one more year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->