LeBrun: " Kyle Dubas is listening to everyone on his roster outside of his "core guys" "

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
I’m kind of a Dubas apologist- like the aggressive roster moves - but if they trade Guenzel lol. Dude is so underrated.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pretty funny that Dubas has that "core" vs "not core" distinction so firmly established already in Pittsburgh and it was the same thing that plagued him in Toronto.

He's even doubling down on it. Now maybe that's ownership speaking as you'd never be able to sell off Crosby and Malkin, etc. there, but he should have known that.

The Penguins "core" is literally unmovable outside of EK65 though.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Does any of the core even want to move? Why is this team not better. So much talent. I know Crosby is a year or so younger but pens almost to caps boat as far as not being able to rebuild and not able to contend

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
No, they're based on a variety of things including player's worth, market status, contract status and stuff like that.

Karlsson got traded for a poor return (relative to the season he had) last off-season because the flat cap and San Jose's unwillingness to eat money left an incredibly small market. Extrapolating those conditions to a hypothetical rental Karlsson trade in 2-3 years is completely nonsensical. Him coming in at 2 years at $7.5 million in 2 years with a rapidly rising cap versus 4 years at $10 million with a stagnant cap are two wildly different situations.

Karlsson at age 33 coming off a Norris trophy vs Karlsson at age 36 having shown himself not capable of improving a team are also likely to be two wildly different situations.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This is gonna be great, PIT is open for Business. Jake is gonna get us a ton back! Can't wait! Let the bidding begin! Ready to start the re-tool. We want a 1st either this year or next, a good prospect and a decent young nhler. Oh, and we'll retain!

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I’m kind of a Dubas apologist- like the aggressive roster moves - but if they trade Guenzel lol. Dude is so underrated.
Agreed that he is underrated, but there are three possibilities, re-sign him, trade him or lose him in the offseason to the UFA market. Trade him is better than lose him.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Marcus Pettersson: I think the Chychrun return is about the closest we have: 1st 2024 (top 5 protected) + 2024 2nd (conditional) + 2025/26 2nd (no conditions). I would also consider a young LD + 1st such as Bahl + 2024 1st as was discussed recently.

Alex Nedelkovich: Fantastic backup goalie. I'd rather resign him. If not, I'd want a 2nd because I know the market for BUGs is shit.
"Mr Fitz from Jersey on line 1 Mr Dubas"

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
This is gonna be great, PIT is open for Business. Jake is gonna get us a ton back! Can't wait! Let the bidding begin! Ready to start the re-tool. We want a 1st either this year or next, a good prospect and a decent young nhler. Oh, and we'll retain!
As and you shall receive. Crosby's next winger will be awesome!
FRY3_Magic_Beans_event_prop_hire_0098_DD122_optimised.jpg

This worthless PP minus Guentzel might let up more goals than scoring them.:laugh:

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Rakell scored 60 points last year. Pettersson is an excellent top4 D signed through next year for $4M. Two seconds is horrible.
He has to underwhelm the return because A. This board will have a heart attack and spell blasphemy for anything close to realistic. And B. I don’t trust the Pens making a great trade like you see other teams do / get in returns. So maybe he doesn’t either.

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
It’s truly amazing how Dubas has achieved nothing in the NHL and he was seen as the golden boy and defended like crazy by Leafs fans.

Now he goes to the Pens and it’s a complete mess

Don’t know why I’d want him to be leading the retool/rebuild, he’s lost
Agree. It’s Sullivan’s team anyway. He’s the actual GM/President/Future Owner.

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
What would be the price for Marcus Pettersson?
I’m not sure I would even want a late first for him. Rather keep him than trust the Pens (more so Sullivan) trying to develop that pick. MP is one of the bright spots this year for Pittsburgh. And I think he will only continue to get better. He’s still young. No need to exchange him for a 17 year old whom Sullivan won’t allow up until 24 years old anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Visnovsky

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Similar to Jake because he's signed through next year at a very good cap hit. A 1st, young NHLer to help offset the cap and get a small piece for the future and an additional mid rounder.

It’s truly amazing how Dubas has achieved nothing in the NHL and he was seen as the golden boy and defended like crazy by Leafs fans.

Now he goes to the Pens and it’s a complete mess

Don’t know why I’d want him to be leading the retool/rebuild, he’s lost
It was a huge mess before he got here, lets see what he does by 3/8. I'm not concerned with bashing Dubas, I'm concerned with the assets we'll derive from this firesale, how bout stay on topic?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Both of those deals were no brainers, though. They got Smith for a 3rd and Karlsson for a cap dump, a 1st and 2nd. Neither of those deals were issues, although Smith has allegedly been pouting in Pittsburgh and he didn't want to leave Vegas in the first place.

Their issue is that they have an atrocious powerplay due to bad coaching and no depth due to mismanagement by Hextall and JR (mostly Hextall). I partially blame Dubas for the powerplay, because he has the power to fire coaches and make changes and he's not doing that. But with the lack of depth, that's something that will just take years of smart moves and rebuilding the prospect pool to fix.

I think Dubas has done a mediocre job so far, but I wouldn't point at the Karlsson or Smith trades as evidence of that. I'd mostly point at him slobbering over Sullivan when he's clearly past his expiration date as the main thing he's doing badly.

Fully agreed on Karlsson and Smith.

Guentzel to Winnipeg, what would it take?
Him to make sure he waives his ntc (I'm guessing sorry)
But honestly see Lindholm / Giroux trades at deadline. Something similar to that.

If Dubas is the smart guy I think he is. He does not trade Pettersson.
It would instantly make our LD weaker and honestly in 1 or 2 years he may be our best defensemen with Letang and Karlsson aging.

If he does trade him it's for a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad