Kraken Training Camp + Preseason 2021

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I was secretly glad the Flames scored that 3rd goal, because it’s preseason and it meant more hockey! Until the regular season, I’ll take as much hockey as I can get.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I was secretly glad the Flames scored that 3rd goal, because it’s preseason and it meant more hockey! Until the regular season, I’ll take as much hockey as I can get.

flames got lucky it went into OT and SO. Seattle could easilly won again 4-3 if we were able to score on that 2 vs goalie.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
That 3rd goal was horrible spacing by the Kraken defense.

Reminded me of the Henry TD run against the Seahawks, too many defenders bunched up together.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I think Seattle are playing just fine. Sure, there'll be some ugly games occasionally. Especially, if they have to lineup younger, less experienced guys to play. But, if they can not only win games, but, keep the losses close on the scoreboard, they'll figure out how to win those close games. They'll be like Vegas, in that, teams won't be able to automatically put a W in the win column, just because they're an expansion team.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
There should definitely be some roster stuff happening today I’d imagine. Trimming the fat and such. At least it would make sense for them to do that now.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There should definitely be some roster stuff happening today I’d imagine. Trimming the fat and such. At least it would make sense for them to do that now.

THey would only it down with players that aren't under contract or are waiver exempt. Too earily to be waiving players if you don't want any to get claimed.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Absolutley.

I think the younger guys like the draft picks and Henman will be send down to the AHL or wherever they're supposed to play this season.

I'm also curious to see if Francis starts trading guys(or if he waits until after the games on Fridey + Saturday), given that he needs to trade at least two defenders to not risk losing them for nothing.

BTW: As there's no game thread.
That McCann/Eberle/Schwartz line looks pretty good is absolutely needed for us to create offensively.
I hope Wennberg will be back for the wekend games so we can finally see the "Swedish House Mafia" as well.
Also, Sheahan should have secured a spot in the lineup IMO, given he's a solid bottom six guy that can kill some penalties as well.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Trimming the Roster

Some expected releases. Most of the PTO guys, Winterton,Melanson and Evans. The latter three of course still in the prospect pool, back in CHL.

the only name not here that stands out as one I’d have expected to be is Scott Wilson.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

4 or 5 left to cut with Gourde and probably blackwell on the IR

Last edited:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Absolutley.

I think the younger guys like the draft picks and Henman will be send down to the AHL or wherever they're supposed to play this season.

I'm also curious to see if Francis starts trading guys(or if he waits until after the games on Fridey + Saturday), given that he needs to trade at least two defenders to not risk losing them for nothing.

BTW: As there's no game thread.
That McCann/Eberle/Schwartz line looks pretty good is absolutely needed for us to create offensively.
I hope Wennberg will be back for the wekend games so we can finally see the "Swedish House Mafia" as well.
Also, Sheahan should have secured a spot in the lineup IMO, given he's a solid bottom six guy that can kill some penalties as well.
I am still hoping they find a way to keep 8 D to start the season and play the IR shuffle game between the time Gourde returns and the trade deadline.

I have to believe if they haven't signed Giordano by the deadline, he will be a solid trade chip, and if they lose him, having seven of their current 9 would be good asset management from the expansion draft.

Unless they can get a young forward with potential or a 1st round pick in a larger deal, I don't see the value in moving a defeneseman from their one position of strength, given that the likely return would be a mid-round pick or a middling forward that would be redundant given their current roster.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Top line 1C.
Just because Gourde is the perceived top center talent on the team, I don't think we should automatically pencil him in to the 1C role.

First off, Gourde is not a 1C. So expectations on that front should be curbed.

Second, playing Gourde with say Schwartz and Eberle automatically places him in an offensive expectant role, which is not playing to his strengths.

Third, it makes coaching match-ups for other teams much easier, as other teams would be inclined to play their top defensive unit against that line where Gourde's defensive prowess would be wasted playing against non-offensive minded guys.

I believe Gourde would be much better utilized playing as the 2nd, (or even the 3rd center if the team is rolling 3 lines equally). It would help distributes the offensive strength of the team, would allow Gourde to more easily match-up against other teams offensive players (where he excels), and would make matching lines for opposition coaches much more difficult.

I would keep McCann or possibly Wennberg centering that top unit, and try to find a strong, two-way secondary unit for Gourde to play on. It would just make maximizing his strengths that much easier.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Just friendly reminder teams making claims on waivers have to put them on their NHL roster. Only 1 player on waivers was claimed league wide so far.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Just friendly reminder teams making claims on waivers have to put them on their NHL roster. Only 1 player on waivers was claimed league wide so far.

There will be some claims put in.

Teams mostly don't waive their better talent until the last day when every team is grappling with tough roster decisions. It both makes it more difficult for teams to claim a player, and increases the available players at the time on waivers, lessening the likely-hood of their player being selected.

Chances are Seattle waives a couple of their D, Cholowski and probably Fleury since he is on the 2-way contract.

Hopefully there is a glut of D on waivers when Seattle tries with guys like Mahura with Anaheim, Clague with LA and a few others, and we cross our fingers that whomever Francis waives, does not get claimed.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There will be some claims put in.

Teams mostly don't waive their better talent until the last day when every team is grappling with tough roster decisions. It both makes it more difficult for teams to claim a player, and increases the available players at the time on waivers, lessening the likely-hood of their player being selected.

Chances are Seattle waives a couple of their D, Cholowski and probably Fleury since he is on the 2-way contract.

Hopefully there is a glut of D on waivers when Seattle tries with guys like Mahura with Anaheim, Clague with LA and a few others, and we cross our fingers that whomever Francis waives, does not get claimed.

And there would be better Dman on waivers than Cal Fleury.

There aren't a lot claims this time of year in pre-season. 4-6 at most.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
And there would be better Dman on waivers than Cal Fleury.

There aren't a lot claims this time of year in pre-season. 4-6 at most.

Will definitely be interesting to see who other teams expose.

Normally at a time when most prospects are getting a lot of minutes during the preseason to be evaluated, there is likely a reason C. Fleury has only seen 15 minutes of ice in the first 5 preseason games. One decent game would exponentially increase his likelyhood of being claimed.

I don't expect them to play him much more to showcase his potential between now and opening night. I feel a bit bad for the kid, but like the move for the organization.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Where is Gourde likely to slot in once he is ready to go?

Will be interesting to see.

So far the first line would be Schwartz--McCann--Eberle and if they click it would be either on the 2nd or 3rd line for Gourde.

Though, let's first wait and see how the first six weeks of the season go, before Gourde comes back, because that should give us a better idea what line combinations might work or not.

BTW: I'm curious to see if C. Fleury clears waivers.
And of course at what point Francis finally does something about the surplus of NHL ready defenders instead of, possibly, losing them for nothing on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad