Kraken Training Camp + Preseason 2021

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
how many NHL clubs typically don’t keep 14 forwards. Isn’t it far more common than not?
Not sure there is a "typical" situation. The reason most teams usually will keep 14 forwards is that they are more likely to have a couple of extra forwards that won't clear waivers than 8 D that won't. Plenty of teams have kept 8 D, or even 3 goalies and only 13 forwards, it just isn't as common.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Pretty sure that when it came to teams that had nothing of interest to draft, Francis chose players that he felt would easily clear waivers and fulfill their obligation to the Charlotte AHL agreement.

Gambrelll and Nieto have zero trade value, and there were better options to fill the 13 or 14 NHL forward slots. Drafting either of those guys that have one way contracts would just increase the teams cap hit and overall salary cost while playing in the AHL.
I think that Gambrell may have had some trade value thanks to his drafting 'pedigree'. That being said, I have seen enough from Gambrell as an ex-Sharks fan and feel that he will never make it past an average 4th line player. He seems on on some shifts but his value seems limited to 4th line forward who can PK. With True, there was always a chance that he can do better if given more of an opportunity. That is what I think GMRF was banking on when he made that choice.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think that Gambrell may have had some trade value thanks to his drafting 'pedigree'. That being said, I have seen enough from Gambrell as an ex-Sharks fan and feel that he will never make it past an average 4th line player. He seems on on some shifts but his value seems limited to 4th line forward who can PK. With True, there was always a chance that he can do better if given more of an opportunity. That is what I think GMRF was banking on when he made that choice.
I'm not too sure, rumors have had Gambrell on the block for a bit, and i think that if anyone offered some draft capital, Wilson would have taken it.

Gambrell isn't really a guy I'd want in my bottom six. His skillset is more geared for a top-six role, imo. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to adjust to the speed of the NHL.

Partial blame goes to the Sharks for not keeping him in the AHL a bit longer.

I think the kid could have a solid career playing in Europe, but at this stage I don't know if he will ever excel at any role in this league.

A838

Aug 10, 2021
Denver
Pretty sure that when it came to teams that had nothing of interest to draft, Francis chose players that he felt would easily clear waivers and fulfill their obligation to the Charlotte AHL agreement.

Gambrelll and Nieto have zero trade value, and there were better options to fill the 13 or 14 NHL forward slots. Drafting either of those guys that have one way contracts would just increase the teams cap hit and overall salary cost while playing in the AHL.
They both have trade value. Nieto as one of the better PK guys in the conference and speed and Gambrell is a 4c on a good contract with upside. Not a very intelligent comment.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Who says we would lose anyone once blackwell and gourde return since we have no idea who gets waived in order to create the roster spots for blackwell and gourde...

Can we stop the whole Oh we'll lose someone...

It is a legitimate concern that is worthy of discussion whether it is likely to happen or not. Seattle is in a unique situation regarding waivers whether you want to admit it or not. It is OK to discuss the possibility which I think ventures outside the normal possibilities of waivers in the NHL

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
They both have trade value. Nieto as one of the better PK guys in the conference and speed and Gambrell is a 4c on a good contract with upside. Not a very intelligent comment.

Yes. But that value is more to the Sharks than other teams. Players like Nieto and Gambrell are on every team. They are cheap 4th liners who work on the PK. No more than that. Yes, I know Neito has played in the top-6 in a pinch but a good team will not play him in the top-9. Not many teams are going to be interested in paying assets (even futures) for them right now.

And like @Irie pointed out, Gambrell is truly not a good fit for 4C. He is not physical enough consistently and is not really good at face-offs. Nieto has never been a physical player in his career. The Kraken focus for the bottom-6 has been bigger size and grit. Neither Gambrell or Nieto offer that.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It is my strong belief that management absolutely rushed Gambrell and screwed up his potential. He is a skilled forward. He is not good in a bottom 6 role where San Jose has repeatedly played him. Problem is he has not played very well when playing in the top six either, despite always looking very solid in that role in the AHL.

I have always been a Nieto fan and was very disappointed when he was waived and claimed by Colorado. (Hell, he was on my Seattle expansion board as who to pick, but I never envisioned him as a trade chip or longterm player for the team, it was just that the sharks exposed nothing of tradable value and there is no "pass" option).

I honestly root for both guys to succeed, but I am not delusional about their trade value. They have next to none.

Do not confuse usefulness with value. Nieto is a useful energy guy, but he is easily replaced, and he isn't really strong enough in his role at even-strength to be desirable for a contending team. Rebuilding teams would mostly rather give those minutes to younger players to develop them, so while useful, not really many teams would be willing to trade any draft capital to acquire him during the offseason. He may have a bit of value during the season as an injury replacement/temp solution for a contending team, but Seattle was never going to keep him as one of their top 14 guys.

I was in San Jose at the time of the Shark's inception and I have bought partial and even full season tickets for the club a few times during their existence. They are a team that I follow more than casually, so my comments aren't completely uninformed.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but it would seem Francis and the front office agree with me and viewed both players as unlikely to have trade value, otherwise at their cap hits, they would have been flipped the way Tyler Pitlick was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad