Kraken Training Camp + Preseason 2021

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
How is Donskoi looking? I am going to miss that guy a ton, he has an incredible nose for the net, he just goes to exactly where he needs to be to score goals, he will hopefully get every opportunity in Seattle

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
True and Twarynski waivers. Not unexpected. I'm curious if either get picked up. A couple remaining are interesting that they are still getting looks.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
How is Donskoi looking? I am going to miss that guy a ton, he has an incredible nose for the net, he just goes to exactly where he needs to be to score goals, he will hopefully get every opportunity in Seattle

He's doing well. He's the guy on the team that seems to be in the "looked good" category at every game, but is the last guy listed because he really didn't stand out in special ways. That's good in my opinion. His game has looked solid throughout the preseason and he's been paired with young guys, or guys who don't really have a defensive mind. I'm definitely optimistic.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
True and Twarynski waivers. Not unexpected. I'm curious if either get picked up. A couple remaining are interesting that they are still getting looks.

True wasn't really that impressive. Potential yes but has a ways to go. Like wise with Twarynski.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I wonder what will happen with McCann with Gourde being healthy.

Canner is not really a winger and if they try to role him as one I guarantee he falls on his face.

They'll keep him as a Center. He'll probably get bumped down to 2C Wennberg to 3C.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What would be interesting is when Beniers signs in the spring

I can see the Center position be Gorude 1C, McCann 2C, Beniers 3C, Wennberg 4C Geekie goes to winger.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
unknown.png

This is where we are at player camp wise.

Edit: updated it

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I'm tellin' ya. We're going to lose some guys to waivers. I'm not trying to stir the pot or be "intentionally obtuse" or anything, just feeling it out from my perspective.

I can see Lind and McCormick clearing if waived, but then who is the last forward cut? Geekie? Blackwell? Donato? Bastian? Sheahan? Appleton? I could see any of those guys with the contracts they have fitting in a couple rosters at the NHL level.

Then you have the D. I figure, just based on what we've seen that the last spot is between Cholowski, Borgen and Lauzon. The first two I'd think would have the best chances to clear. No way Lauzon clears. There are probably 5 teams out there that'd be able to dress him, much less use him as a healthy scratch. I feel like those 3 played pretty evenly during preseason. All 3 would work in that 7 spot, so if you're GM, do you just buck up and keep the guy that's the most likely to clear? I probably do, for the 7th D spot.

Obviously Daccord is waivers exempt, so we all know good and well what's happening there, barring any ridiculous surprise.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm tellin' ya. We're going to lose some guys to waivers. I'm not trying to stir the pot or be "intentionally obtuse" or anything, just feeling it out from my perspective.

I can see Lind and McCormick clearing if waived, but then who is the last forward cut? Geekie? Blackwell? Donato? Bastian? Sheahan? Appleton? I could see any of those guys with the contracts they have fitting in a couple rosters at the NHL level.

Then you have the D. I figure, just based on what we've seen that the last spot is between Cholowski, Borgen and Lauzon. The first two I'd think would have the best chances to clear. No way Lauzon clears. There are probably 5 teams out there that'd be able to dress him, much less use him as a healthy scratch. I feel like those 3 played pretty evenly during preseason. All 3 would work in that 7 spot, so if you're GM, do you just buck up and keep the guy that's the most likely to clear? I probably do, for the 7th D spot.

Obviously Daccord is waivers exempt, so we all know good and well what's happening there, barring any ridiculous surprise.

Again as i said so few players get selected in the waiver draft.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm sure Caps and Rangers fans said the same thing. So in short, we shall see.

Sure we'll see but even then average players claimed i have heard is like 4-6 players. I'm just saying not a lot of players are actually taken.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ah, not as significant a surgery as I've had guessed. I get it now. Makes sense he's progressing nicely.

its possible he already needed to have surgery anyways but the cyst issue made it worse. Those things are nasty to deal with if they are big enough.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Blackwell hasn't participated during training camp and most likely will start the season on IR just like Gourde.

That means we're down to 15 forwards, nine defensmen and three goalies.

In goal D'Accord starts in the AHL, especially since he's waiver excempt, and on defense Cholowski will be waived with a very good chance to clear waivers.

That would mean two forwards would need to be waived and I'm pretty sure one will be McCormick(which I doubt anyone will claim) and the other one most likely being Kole Lind who I'm not sure(looking at Capfriendly) even needs to clear waivers.

BTW: I'm not sure why we would ever think about waiving Morgan Geekie.
He's been fantastic so far, is a great face off guy and should have earned the #3 center spot going into the season.
To me he's the guy that might break out offensively, given what I've seen so far in training camp.

Reactions: Irie

A838

Aug 10, 2021
Denver
True wasn't really that impressive. Potential yes but has a ways to go. Like wise with Twarynski.
Sharks fan here, True is a pretty good player in the AHL level. Has NHL potential as a 4C but maybe that's his ceiling. I was surprised Francis didn't take Gambrell or Nieto aka useful NHL ready talent.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Blackwell hasn't participated during training camp and most likely will start the season on IR just like Gourde.

In goal D'Accord starts in the AHL, especially since he's waiver excempt, and on defense Cholowski will be waived with a very good chance to clear waivers.

That would mean two forwards would need to be waived and I'm pretty sure one will be McCormick(which I doubt anyone will claim) and the other one most likely being Kole Lind who I'm not sure(looking at Capfriendly) even needs to clear waivers.

He's been fantastic so far, is a great face off guy and should have earned the #3 center spot going into the season.
To me he's the guy that might break out offensively, given what I've seen so far in training camp.

This ^^^^

McCormick was signed for the sole intention of filling out the Charlotte agreement.

Lind should have to go through waivers, but along with True and Twarinski, was chosen because they likely would pass through without issue.

I don't think Cholowski gets claimed. Under-sized offfensive minded D that aren't very good defensively and shy away from physicality are dime a dozen in the league right now. The only reason he might get claimed is because of his NHL experience, where another team feels he is a slight upgrade over the undersized, non-physical offensive D that they have in their 7th spot currently.

Once Blackwell and Gourde return though, if the team stays relatively healthy, they will lose two guys. (that is of course, unless players magically get hurt the moment someone else comes of of IR all season.... which I am not ruling out. :laugh:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
This ^^^^

McCormick was signed for the sole intention of filling out the Charlotte agreement.

Lind should have to go through waivers, but along with True and Twarinski, was chosen because they likely would pass through without issue.

I don't think Cholowski gets claimed. Under-sized offfensive minded D that aren't very good defensively and shy away from physicality are dime a dozen in the league right now. The only reason he might get claimed is because of his NHL experience, where another team feels he is a slight upgrade over the undersized, non-physical offensive D that they have in their 7th spot currently.

Once Blackwell and Gourde return though, if the team stays relatively healthy, they will lose two guys. (that is of course, unless players magically get hurt the moment someone else comes of of IR all season.... which I am not ruling out. :laugh:

Who says we would lose anyone once blackwell and gourde return since we have no idea who gets waived in order to create the roster spots for blackwell and gourde...

Can we stop the whole Oh we'll lose someone...

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

we have no idea if we are going to go with 13 or 14 forwards.

If we go with 14 forwards, we would just need to waive one now with the the Gourde and blackwell on the IR. Lind or McCormick waive now then waive the other later which we just need to waive 1 more then we'll have 14 with both Gourde and blackwell activated from IR. Bigger question 2 two Dman we waive. Cholowski is 1 who's the other...

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
we have no idea if we are going to go with 13 or 14 forwards.

If we go with 14 forwards, we would just need to waive one now with the the Gourde and blackwell on the IR. Lind or McCormick waive now then waive the other later which we just need to waive 1 more then we'll have 14 with both Gourde and blackwell activated from IR. Bigger question 2 two Dman we waive. Cholowski is 1 who's the other...

how many NHL clubs typically don’t keep 14 forwards. Isn’t it far more common than not?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Sharks fan here, True is a pretty good player in the AHL level. Has NHL potential as a 4C but maybe that's his ceiling. I was surprised Francis didn't take Gambrell or Nieto aka useful NHL ready talent.

Pretty sure that when it came to teams that had nothing of interest to draft, Francis chose players that he felt would easily clear waivers and fulfill their obligation to the Charlotte AHL agreement.

Gambrelll and Nieto have zero trade value, and there were better options to fill the 13 or 14 NHL forward slots. Drafting either of those guys that have one way contracts would just increase the teams cap hit and overall salary cost while playing in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00