Friedman: Kovalchuk Done Playing with the Kings

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
He has skill, but his overrall game is atrocious. Guy can't make a decent pass.
You are completely incorrect! I watched the Kings all season. Kovalchuk would actually makes good passes, but his linemates would fumble the puck or couldn't finish his passes. Kovalchuk is about offense, so you have to complement him with 2-way players to compensate for his defensive deficiencies. While the Kings exploded with offense in the early season, everybody knew they would tail off just as easily once teams got their defensive bearings straightened out. The Kings current roster old/young still kills offense and creativity. Kovalchuk was never a good fit with the rosters that were in place since he signed his contract. The only reason he signed with LA was because his wife likes the LA lifestyle.

Reactions: bleedgreen

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Eriksson @ 50% for Kovalchuk @ 50%

I'm not sure I'd do that as a Canucks fan (Kovalchuk would likely have the same issues in the Canucks' system), but I don't think it's far off fair value.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
You are completely incorrect! I watched the Kings all season. Kovalchuk would actually makes good passes, but his linemates would fumble the puck or couldn't finish his passes. Kovalchuk is about offense, so you have to complement him with 2-way players to compensate for his defensive deficiencies. While the Kings exploded with offense in the early season, everybody knew they would tail off just as easily once teams got their defensive bearings straightened out. The Kings current roster old/young still kills offense and creativity. Kovalchuk was never a good fit with the rosters that were in place since he signed his contract. The only reason he signed with LA was because his wife likes the LA lifestyle.
Kovalchuk is our most skilled player forsure.

We're full of old bums and grinders.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Did I say they were blown out?

no you did not and I am probably over sensitive to that series being shoved down kings fans throats. For some reason felt the need to get in front of that narrative.

Should not have directed that part at you, sorry.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I supported Kovalchuk last season even after I initially hated the signing at first. Thought Willie D sucked as a coach and yanked him around while he provided last years team with some much needed offense. This season you can see Kovalchuk still has talent, it's not what it used to be mind you, but jesus christ he is an absolute trainwreck everywhere and cant play a lick of defense. He can sit, he can be traded I dont care, just go away and let the kids play. If a team doesn't care about his d and we retain send us a 2nd.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

Agree to disagree. I don't think he fits with our system and since this season is a wash, I rather have struggling youth on the roster trying to make a place for themselves then see Kovy do 1 right thing along with 3 mistakes afterwards. His flaws stand out more than his skills.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Eriksson @ 50% for Kovalchuk @ 50%

I'm not sure I'd do that as a Canucks fan (Kovalchuk would likely have the same issues in the Canucks' system), but I don't think it's far off fair value.

Kings already paid a lot of money to Kovalchuk this past July. If they buy him out in June, they avoid his next July signing bonus ($5.3M) and total money paid over two seasons is $3.5M ish (this point forward with a buy out in June). Cap hit would be $6.25M for one season only.

They only way they trade him is if you take him and want to buy him out where they get a 1st (like Marleau). Saves the Kings owner $3.5M but do they need the cap space like the Leafs did? Doubt that

I don't see a bad contract for a bad contract fit when it comes to the circumstance of Kovalchuk's contract.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They're trying to get him to waive his NMC with this I'd imagine? Sharks might be interested at 50% :P

Whoever takes him on and does not buy him out in June has to pay him $5.3M signing bonus in July. That's a big deal man. Kings have the leverage here if they just keep him cause they already paid him a large chuck of cash this past July. If they buy him out in June, the amount of total money they have to pay him from this point forward is $3.5M.

If you want to negotiate, you have to understand the leverage. If the Kings don't care about a $6.25M cap hit for next year and their owner is ok with throwing away $3.5M ish, you don't have leverage over them.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I supported Kovalchuk last season even after I initially hated the signing at first. Thought Willie D sucked as a coach and yanked him around while he provided last years team with some much needed offense. This season you can see Kovalchuk still has talent, it's not what it used to be mind you, but jesus christ he is an absolute trainwreck everywhere and cant play a lick of defense. He can sit, he can be traded I dont care, just go away and let the kids play. If a team doesn't care about his d and we retain send us a 2nd.

What did the team think they were getting when they signed him - a Selke player..?

Gotta put this on Blake for trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Whoever takes him on and does not buy him out in June has to pay him $5.3M signing bonus in July. That's a big deal man. Kings have the leverage here if they just keep him cause they already paid him a large chuck of cash this past July. If they buy him out in June, the amount of total money they have to pay him from this point forward is $3.5M.

If you want to negotiate, you have to understand the leverage. If the Kings don't care about a $6.25M cap hit for next year and their owner is ok with throwing away $3.5M ish, you don't have leverage over them.

That's a big IF on the owner being willing to throw away that kind of cash. Otherwise why the drama now, and not later after the bonus is paid and he's more attractive on the market? They want this trade to happen now not in late December.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It does smell like a Broonz at the deadline type of acquisition, but do they have the cap space this time

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
:laugh: I guess that's bad for the Bruins then and my notifications will be red with bruin fans responses shortly...

:laugh: It's more of a change of scenery I guess given the cap difference is tiny

I'd probably even do it for a 3rd or 4th honestly since all we would be doing basically is laterally moving dudes

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad