Friedman: Kovalchuk Done Playing with the Kings

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’d say yes to Wood for Kovy and Martinez. A lot of other Devils fans would say no as they like Wood (no pun intended).
Wood has wheels for sure but has a 2 cent hockey brain and next to zero touch.
He does bring some grit to a team that has next to none , but our D sucks so bad that I’d have no issues trading Wood for Martinez

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
The only way i would accept a Kovalchuk back to NJ trade is there is a conditional first round pick as part of the deal.

The condition being NJ holds an option to switch their 2020 1st round picks with LA, in the event that LA has a higher pick than NJ after draft lottery.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
It seems like this will be a Berglund scenario. Where the Team and Player decide to null the contract.

I mean, i know it seems like it's a free cap dump for the Kings. But the Player loses out on money owed in the deal.

Only difference is instead of Buyout player receiving money from his former team when he signs a new deal, is the player will only get funds from the new contract.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
With only one year left on his contract, the Kings really have no reason to trade assets to get rid of Kovalchuk. If I'm Blake, I'm all for retaining on Kovalchuk to receive some kind of asset in return. I really do think Kovalchuk still has the skill to play in the NHL, but by god, whatever his brain is thinking when he goes to make plays, not a single Kings player is on the same wavelength. Kovalchuk literally skated into Kyle Clifford last game. Kovalchuk had the puck, there was no opposing pressure, and he and Clifford were skating in the same direction. How the f*** does that happen?

Reactions: Nodoughtyboutit

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
With only one year left on his contract, the Kings really have no reason to trade assets to get rid of Kovalchuk. If I'm Blake, I'm all for retaining on Kovalchuk to receive some kind of asset in return. I really do think Kovalchuk still has the skill to play in the NHL, but by god, whatever his brain is thinking when he goes to make plays, not a single Kings player is on the same wavelength. Kovalchuk literally skated into Kyle Clifford last game. Kovalchuk had the puck, there was no opposing pressure, and he and Clifford were skating in the same direction. How the **** does that happen?

You don't watch the Sabres I take it?

Agreed with your analysis, wish the Sabres were in a position to just offer a 3rd and 4th or somethin.. but no cap space, so no.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
I saw his first game live for the LA Kings and he looked really good. I think the coaching staff just didn't know how to use him. Capitals or Penguins should trade for him.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I saw his first game live for the LA Kings and he looked really good. I think the coaching staff just didn't know how to use him. Capitals or Penguins should trade for him.

He’d probably be a great fit on either team, to be honest. You can’t teach an old team new tricks in LA’s case.

Reactions: Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
He’d probably be a great fit on either team, to be honest. You can’t teach an old team new tricks in LA’s case.

It seems like Todd keeps on coaching to save his job. Doesn't have any slack to gamble. A shame as he's a good interview / communicator.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I only see him dealt in a bad contract for bad contract deal. A contender might make a prorated deal for him at the deadline but that extra year at 6 is a deal breaker.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Makes alot of sense. Islanders need high end talent and if you can't get plan A or Plan B, it's off to Plan C.

Only thing I could see stopping that would be Lou remembers what Kovi did to the Devils

... and then Kovalchuk screwed him hard by refusing to honor his contract. Yeah, Lamoriello is not gonna make that mistake again.

And that's not even considering Kovalchuk was a player 10 years younger that a desperate Lamoriello signed. This isn't 2010. We're about to hit 2020. Kovalchuk carries negative value.

The Islanders are the last team that will go for that over-the-hill chump (unless it's a cap space move to get picks).
hmm it seemed like it was a weird agreed upon thing at the time , idk if lou would care. he would remember kovalchuk did play decent defense for them

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
hockey-player-ice-hockey-team-gift-gorilla-fan.png

did Seattle choose a name?

I would definitely have a soft spot for the Seattle King Kongs.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's a vanilla hockey player response. It's codeword for "he sucks, but I can't really say so in public."

You people (yes, I said it) are eager to interpret it as a slam of Kovalchuk and not considering who said it. Kopitar would never suggest that a teammate sucks, not even in "codeword." He does give vanilla responses, but he's a very positive person who always assumes the best, never the worst. I assure you that he meant that Kovalchuk isn't working on the ice as far as the team and system are concerned. I'm sure that, if you asked him again, he'd express optimism that Ilya can still play and might fit another team better.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
hmm it seemed like it was a weird agreed upon thing at the time , idk if lou would care. he would remember kovalchuk did play decent defense for them
You are right, I'd say a good enough portion of Devils fans saw it far what’s it was. A mutually beneficial move that saved us some real trouble in the long run. Some don’t, and see him as an evil villain that ran home to mommy.

And he did come around big time on defense, it took some time but it happened.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Is it just me or does a Backes (with maybe a small plus) for Kovalchuk not make perfect sense?

Boston desperately needs secondary scoring that Lovalchuck can supply despite his many flaws. Backes is a great character player who will stick up for the Kings and a great role model.

Both guys have been healthy scratches and have essentially the same cap hit

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
he is welcomed to practice, okey but does he have to? **** practice. Solid opportunity to become a high end paid surfer.
I imagine if he does not show up for practice it would give LA grounds to suspend/terminate. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Kings aren’t contending so they are content to have him sit for the remainder. Kings aren’t offering picks or taking a worse contract to get rid of him

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I’d say yes to Wood for Kovy and Martinez. A lot of other Devils fans would say no as they like Wood (no pun intended).
Wood has wheels for sure but has a 2 cent hockey brain and next to zero touch.
He does bring some grit to a team that has next to none , but our D sucks so bad that I’d have no issues trading Wood for Martinez
I don't believe you. This was definitely intentional lol embrace it

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I like it because it is not a +35 contract

That deal just makes way too much sense to me not to make. Neither player is helping their current team, both players have something to offer to their new team, same contracts ...

Match made in heaven and a low risk- medium(ish) reward

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->