Friedman: Kovalchuk Done Playing with the Kings

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
If they don't want to pay the bonus that a question of doing a trade before it's due...
They cant force him to accept a trade nor can they refuse to pay his bonus. It's a legal contract.
No team will trade for him until December 15th

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
They cant force him to accept a trade nor can they refuse to pay his bonus. It's a legal contract.

I am guessing most teams would rather have the kings eat half his salary and trade for him on Dec 14 then have the Kings pay the bonus but accept the full caphit on Dec 15

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
What they can do is tell the guy he's never playing for them regardless. That's a pressure tactic. "If you force us to keep paying you we waste the rest of your career in the press box." So he either okay a trade or he can spend the next two years not playing.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I don’t think there’s literally any scenario where they aren’t on the hook for that cap hit correct?
I dont believe so. If there was anything nefarious going on off the ice they wouldn't allow him to keep practicing with the team

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Is there something going on off ice? Dude is bad but he isnt close to the worst on that team.

One of 2 things(maybe a combination of both)

1. He doesn't play the teams system, therefore even though he is doing decently offensively he hurts the team overall

2. Kings want to trade him and are trying to force his hand

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Kopitar and Todd had good things to say about him
Honestly i blame the coach for most of his bad play....

"You are an offense only superstar with 15+ years of footage showing you are not a two way player... well your going on the 4th line to learn even though our team cant score goals and you are 35"

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
One of 2 things(maybe a combination of both)

1. He doesn't play the teams system, therefore even though he is doing decently offensively he hurts the team overall

2. Kings want to trade him and are trying to force his hand
I can see number 2 being true but it just hurts his already low value. And no one fits the kings system. Its a bad system from a bad coach he has no place in the nhl.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Good on Rob Blake for signing a big contract when the team was already bottoming out, and then doing a 180 that of course won't work either. Good smart genius. Former NHL payers are the some of the smartest people in sports.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Good on Rob Blake for signing a big contract when the team was already bottoming out, and then doing a 180 that of course won't work either. Good smart genius. Former NHL payers are the some of the smartest people in sports.

I was not a fan of the signing but the above is just not true.

When he was signed LA was coming off one of the most successful regular seasons in franchise history, lead the league in GAA, and the biggest glaring weakness was goal production and powerplay. Kovalchuk was brought in to fix that and has not.

Again I did not like the signing, I do not like Rob Blake, but I at least understood the thought process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad