Friedman: Kovalchuk Done Playing with the Kings

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Kopitar said, per The Athletic. “Kovy is a good guy. There’s nothing that’s wrong with the attitude or anything. He wants to win. He wants to do the best. He’s a really good guy off the ice. Everybody can probably say that about him. It’s just, for whatever reason, it’s not working on the ice.”

ouch... I think kovy might be finished in the nhl

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kopitar said, per The Athletic. “Kovy is a good guy. There’s nothing that’s wrong with the attitude or anything. He wants to win. He wants to do the best. He’s a really good guy off the ice. Everybody can probably say that about him. It’s just, for whatever reason, it’s not working on the ice.”

I read that as a positive endorsement of him.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Screenshot_20191113-164337_Twitter.jpg

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Whoever takes him on and does not buy him out in June has to pay him $5.3M signing bonus in July. That's a big deal man. Kings have the leverage here if they just keep him cause they already paid him a large chuck of cash this past July. If they buy him out in June, the amount of total money they have to pay him from this point forward is $3.5M.

If you want to negotiate, you have to understand the leverage. If the Kings don't care about a $6.25M cap hit for next year and their owner is ok with throwing away $3.5M ish, you don't have leverage over them.

According to CF, that’s not true regarding his signing bonus. That payment was this past July and the December 15 one upcoming. He’s got no signing bonus beyond that.

If the Kings want out of the Kovalchuk contract which everything seems to indicate is the case then they have no leverage.

To me, it seems like they’re trying to Mike Richards him through some avenue. A buyout is going to cost them 2.8 mil with no cap savings. Either they’re being super cautious so they can trade him after the bonus or they’re going to try some technicality to get out of it.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I think in the right situation he could do well again, at least offensively. He comes off as a guy who puts in little effort on crappy teams.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
According to CF, that’s not true regarding his signing bonus. That payment was this past July and the December 15 one upcoming. He’s got no signing bonus beyond that.

If the Kings want out of the Kovalchuk contract which everything seems to indicate is the case then they have no leverage.

To me, it seems like they’re trying to Mike Richards him through some avenue. A buyout is going to cost them 2.8 mil with no cap savings. Either they’re being super cautious so they can trade him after the bonus or they’re going to try some technicality to get out of it.

I’m not aware of any signing bonus in December? News to me

No leverage? Buy out in June would be $1.4M for two years with a cap hit of $6.25M for next year only.

Doubt the kings care about the cap hit. The money a problem?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’m not aware of any signing bonus in December? News to me

No leverage? Buy out in June would be $1.4M for two years with a cap hit of $6.25M for next year only.

Doubt the kings care about the cap hit. The money a problem?

If they don’t care about the cap hit then a trade seems the way to go but the buyout option doesn’t mean they have any leverage.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If they don’t care about the cap hit then a trade seems the way to go but the buyout option doesn’t mean they have any leverage.

If the owner don’t care about the money paid and spread out over two seasons, they have decent leverage. Why would you move him? Kings not going to get any assets for him?

Can you explain the money in December payment? Cap friendly shows a $5.3M signing bonus for next season.. as far as I know, that’s paid in July but if they buy him out, that money turns into $1.4 for two years and not up front money

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
"it’s not working on the ice.” is the worst thing he could have said... at least to me

He means that Kovalchuk isn't working out with the Kings. In other words, the fit isn't right. He's not saying that he can't play the game anymore. Kopitar would never say that or even believe that about someone.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
What did the team think they were getting when they signed him - a Selke player..?

Gotta put this on Blake for trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
No but I don't think they were expecting such a trainwreck either.

I fully put this on Blake. He shouldn't have signed him in the first place.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Dude wants to win but signs with the kings. He would look great with the isles, Oilers basically almost anyone except the kings.

He just scammed the kings, cause LA.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
He's about 100 points from making it to the NHL top 100 scorers of all time, but I'm now doubting that will happen

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the owner don’t care about the money paid and spread out over two seasons, they have decent leverage. Why would you move him? Kings not going to get any assets for him?

Can you explain the money in December payment? Cap friendly shows a $5.3M signing bonus for next season.. as far as I know, that’s paid in July but if they buy him out, that money turns into $1.4 for two years and not up front money

There's no leverage when you've announced to the world that you're benching the player indefinitely. So either they're finding a way to terminate the contract, will trade him after December 15 when the signing bonus' second installment is paid, or will legitimately sit him out the season and buy him out. I doubt that's the case.

The 5.3 million signing bonus is not for next season. It was partially paid already on July 1 and will be completely paid on December 15. Regardless of what choice the Kings go with, they're like 99% likely to pay that signing bonus. I'm guessing the most probable thing to occur is they sit him out until December 15, pay the bonus, then trade him with retention to an agreed upon location. A shade over 2.1 mil in salary at half retention is likely more the way to go than buying him out for 2.8 mil spread over two years when you can also save at least half the cap.

Reactions: Hint1k

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
With Crosby out for awhile I could see the Pens go for him. That RH shot on the PP triangle, with Letang and Malkin would be deadly.

Kovalchuk for Bjustad?

Kovalchuk-Malkin-Rust
Guentzel-Mc Cann-Galchenyuk
Simon-Kahun-Lafferty
Aston-Reese-Blueger-Tanev

Add Crosby and Hornqvist to the forward group and you get some firepower.

Reactions: verbalkint47

verbalkint47

Heroes and Villans
Aug 12, 2009
Emerald State
With Crosby out for awhile I could see the Pens go for him. That RH shot on the PP triangle, with Letang and Malkin would be deadly.

Kovalchuk for Bjustad?

Kovalchuk-Malkin-Rust
Guentzel-Mc Cann-Galchenyuk
Simon-Kahun-Lafferty
Aston-Reese-Blueger-Tanev

Add Crosby and Hornqvist to the forward group and you get some firepower.
I was thinking that trade.

LA could retain 50% if Pittsburgh adds a pick.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Kovy and Quick for Schneider and Wood.
I know the Quick for Schneider thing is a no go , but would attaching Wood to the deal and attaching an unwanted Kovy to it move the needle at all?
Devils can’t get any worse and it’s just a matter of time before Hall is traded.
Devils need a winger to replace him . I’m not saying Kovy can “replace” Hall as far as production goes , but need a top 6 winger that can score.
Or has that ship sailed? I haven’t watched enough of Kovy this year to know if he is completely shot .
Maybe playing with Hughes would help. Or could possibly set a NHL record for highest - ever since the +/- stat was created lol.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
How about Kovy and Martinez for Wood and a pick?
Kovy and Quick for Schneider and Wood.
I know the Quick for Schneider thing is a no go , but would attaching Wood to the deal and attaching an unwanted Kovy to it move the needle at all?
Devils can’t get any worse and it’s just a matter of time before Hall is traded.
Devils need a winger to replace him . I’m not saying Kovy can “replace” Hall as far as production goes , but need a top 6 winger that can score.
Or has that ship sailed? I haven’t watched enough of Kovy this year to know if he is completely shot .
Maybe playing with Hughes would help. Or could possibly set a NHL record for highest - ever since the +/- stat was created lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad