Friedman: Kovalchuk Done Playing with the Kings

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
give you bjugstad or galchenyuk for 50% retention

Good god, no.

Not with that extra year, and definitely not at the expense of an asset that can still net something in trade value (to say nothing of selling low on a guy who has less than 10 competitive games for the Pens). Bjugstad might not get much, but maybe another decent misfit-for-misfit deal is out there.

After two years, old man JR finally remembered that young, fast and hungry is the way to go if you want to win. I'm sure Kovy still has the hunger, but I don't wanna figure that out at the expense of our youngsters or next year's cap.

Mar 14, 2015

guy-fired-from-his-job-keeps-showing-up-gets-paid-for-four-more-years.jpg

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
No way in hell the guy accept a mutual dissolution. He's owned too much money, and nobody else will pay him that kind of cash. I think what left is accepting/negotiating a trade, the big issue is the absence of a market. Clearly this showdown would not be happening this week if the plan was to wait for the bonus to be paid before making that trade.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I was not a fan of the signing but the above is just not true.

When he was signed LA was coming off one of the most successful regular seasons in franchise history, lead the league in GAA, and the biggest glaring weakness was goal production and powerplay. Kovalchuk was brought in to fix that and has not.

Again I did not like the signing, I do not like Rob Blake, but I at least understood the thought process.
Meh! They were aging, in decline, swept by Vegas, glaring issues. Kovy is a great player, but the consensus seemed to be they needed to rebuild, not sign heavy contracts, but they signed an expensive player who had been out of the league for a while. Now Blake is saying he doesn't want heavy contracts?

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
So he’s either just scratched,being terminated, being traded, or just gonna sit in LA forever
They have the situation surrounded. Probably just waiting to hear back from the lawyers whether or not the value of the fork sticking out Kovi's back counts towards his bonus or not.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
My bad contract for your bad contract with the same term essentially.

Staal/Smith for Kovy.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Meh! They were aging, in decline, swept by Vegas, glaring issues. Kovy is a great player, but the consensus seemed to be they needed to rebuild, not sign heavy contracts, but they signed an expensive player who had been out of the league for a while. Now Blake is saying he doesn't want heavy contracts?

How were they in decline when they went from 86 points in 16-17 to 98 in 17-18? You revisionist history is flawed. After that year the concensus was they were at a crossroads where they could try and keep their window open by bringing in scoring or they could rebuild. As I said I was not for this signing and wanted a mini re-tool. But I did get the reasoning.

And yes the fact they were swepy by vegas mean they were blown out right? Never mind MAF set a record for save percentage in that series, series goal differential was 4 goals which was much less than most other series, and that vegas team went on to the finals. Had that been a 2nd round sweep would it be a bigger deal?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
How were they in decline when they went from 86 points in 16-17 to 98 in 17-18? You revisionist history is flawed. After that year the concensus was they were at a crossroads where they could try and keep their window open by bringing in scoring or they could rebuild. As I said I was not for this signing and wanted a mini re-tool. But I did get the reasoning.

And yes the fact they were swepy by vegas mean they were blown out right? Never mind MAF set a record for save percentage in that series, series goal differential was 4 goals which was much less than most other series, and that vegas team went on to the finals. Had that been a 2nd round sweep would it be a bigger deal?
Did I say they were blown out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad