Friedman: Kovalchuk Done Playing with the Kings

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think Mike Sullivan would absolutely hate Kovalchuk (and any other east-west forward, really) but Kovalchuk's skill set is exactly what is now missing from the Penguins power play. Heck, Kovalchuk might even be a better fit on it than Kessel was because he has a better one-time shot.

The problem is Sullivan would play Kovalchuk even less five on five than he did Ryan Reaves.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I think Mike Sullivan would absolutely hate Kovalchuk (and any other east-west forward, really) but Kovalchuk's skill set is exactly what is now missing from the Penguins power play. Heck, Kovalchuk might even be a better fit on it than Kessel was because he has a better one-time shot.

The problem is Sullivan would play Kovalchuk even less five on five than he did Ryan Reaves.
You mean the current guys all hit the net?

Reactions: Chainshot

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is the guy responsible for Kovalchuk's usage:
Todd McLellan said:
There’s 32 teams, there’s only 32 leading scorers on each team, so that kind of limits your opportunity to be the top guy.

Reactions: Ola

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Kovalchuk plays a lot more north/south on the rush than you'd think. Especially in his time with the Kings. Taking the zone without the puck he drives the net taking a d with him. He'd be a good fit for Pitts, I'd love to see him there.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Gagner + Larsson

Kovalchuk (50% retained) + Toffoli
Both Toffoli and Kovalchuck would need 50% to be retained.
Probably still wouldn't do it as I'd rather have depth on the backend for the playoffs over a couple wingers(Rentals that are healthy scratches on one of the worst teams in the league)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Kovalchuk plays a lot more north/south on the rush than you'd think. Especially in his time with the Kings. Taking the zone without the puck he drives the net taking a d with him. He'd be a good fit for Pitts, I'd love to see him there.
If he was a UFA it’d be a no-brainer but that extra year is a deal-breaker unless the Kings take a bad contract back, like Jack Johnson or Bjugstad (arguably not a bad contract but he doesn’t fit here).

The Penguins have some RFAs due big raises this summer.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Kovalchuk is a freelancer who sucks at defense and doesn’t score enough to make up for his deficiencies.

Flashes of what he was but disappears most of the time.

Thought he would boost the PP but that didn’t workout either.

Gamble didn’t pay off for Blake.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Kovalchuk is a freelancer who sucks at defense and doesn’t score enough to make up for his deficiencies.

Flashes of what he was but disappears most of the time.

Thought he would boost the PP but that didn’t workout either.

Gamble didn’t pay off for Blake.
But our other Russian looks/plays better by the game!

Reactions: Guitpik

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Will probably be dealt soon after that payout.

Pretty sure, his actual pay will be in the hundreds of thousands instead of millions and a team fighting for a Cup could take him for a dump+pick... Boston comes to mind but with how limited teams are with the cap.. He might have to wait to be traded

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Pretty sure, his actual pay will be in the hundreds of thousands instead of millions and a team fighting for a Cup could take him for a dump+pick... Boston comes to mind but with how limited teams are with the cap.. He might have to wait to be traded

or LA will have to take a bad contract back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad