Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk (50% retained) to Washington for a 2020 3rd

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
I know he got a bonus 3rd for a free agent signing and that's great! But at some point enough of the quantity picks. Time to get some quality picks!

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Andrighetto was an NHL'er for a while, probably still could be. Fleury showed he'll be an NHL'er this year. Perhaps Vejdemo as well. Not bad at all considering most third rounders don't play in the big time.
Those names made me fallen off my chair and I got hurt. Have to go spend the night at hospital now. Thanks.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'll bash MB as much as the next guy. Sometimes I even enjoy doing it. But for the love of Pete did you guys really think he would garner a 1st? I mean we pulled this guy off the scrap heap for Pete's sake.

Plus he's going to Washington where he might win a cup and we might even be able to re-sign him next year. How the hell is this thread even 1o pages long? :laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's only a good decision if kovalchuk told them he wasn't coming back. Otherwise, my bar based on this year's market is a 2nd rounder.
I don't understand how one has anything to do with the other... we can always re-sign him anyway and then it's a free third round pick. Hell, it's a free third round pick anyway.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Emelin and Plekky were drafted by another scout team, different decade. Weber was drafted by another team. How many 3rd round draft by Timmins plays nhl level?
Emelin was not only picked by Timmins but scouted by him directly. He was the one on the team who vouched for Emelin. I used to post here under an Emelin-themed name back in the day and can distinctly remember that at least.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah, retaining an extremely insignificant amount of money in order to complete a trade. I'm not a fan of Bergevin either, but bitching about this is ridiculous.
Have not bitched at or about Bergevin in years................ now laughing at him, thats another matter. :laugh:

Last edited:

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal
In a vacuum, the trade is nothing special. The bigger question will be is he going to package them for anything better?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'll bash MB as much as the next guy. Sometimes I even enjoy doing it. But for the love of Pete did you guys really think he would garner a 1st? I mean we pulled this guy off the scrap heap for Pete's sake.

Plus he's going to Washington where he might win a cup and we might even be able to re-sign him next year. How the hell is this thread even 1o pages long? :laugh:
People really took to him since the pickup, but agree, there really isn't anything to complain about here unless you are arguing that we should have kept Kovy for a playoff push. Clearly this was the best deal on the table. Maybe MB could have held out to the last second to get a bite, but I believe this trade happening today signals that MB will be focused on bigger fish tomorrow- which is a good sign.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

I don't think there's anything wrong with the return. I think the anger is coming from the fact that he is getting all this praise like he's a genius for doing literally the absolute minimum for the team's current situation. Absolute minimum. I mean are we supposed to be impressed with him not screwing something up now? Is this how far we've fallen?

And frankly we are angry because we all know deep down he is unlikely to do anything significant like trade Petry or Tatar because he isn't willing to pick a new direction. We already know the one we're on is wrong.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't think there's anything wrong with the return. I think the anger is coming from the fact that he is getting all this praise like he's a genius for doing literally the absolute minimum for the team's current situation. Absolute minimum. I mean are we supposed to be impressed with him not screwing something up now? Is this how far we've fallen?

And frankly we are angry because we all know deep down he is unlikely to do anything significant like trade Petry or Tatar because he isn't willing to pick a new direction. We already know the one we're on is wrong.
I think your second paragraph tells the real story. It's not about trading Kovalchuk -- that's a win with a small "w" -- it's really about the hopelessness about being stranded.

Bergevin is supposed to be the skipper of this ship. Turns out he's Gilligan.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Guessing here but would think Kovalchuk had some say in where he was going or where he wanted to go. Seems like the Caps would be one of his top choices. Maybe he's back in the fall.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Dude... this is such a small trade. It's hardly worth talking about. As for MB getting praise... who cares? Again, it's a 3rd.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Still don't understand that one. Just brutal.

That he likes to move down doesn't make sense.

But it worked the last two times as we got our guy in the 3rd round bith times, it seems (Hillis and then Norlinder).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think your second paragraph tells the real story. It's not about trading Kovalchuk -- that's a win with a small "w" -- it's really about the hopelessness about being stranded.

Bergevin is supposed to be the skipper of this ship. Turns out he's Gilligan.
There are so many other threads to talk about this though. :laugh:

I mean, we all know he's a crappy GM. Most of us do anyway.

Reactions: MasterD

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Awesome move because we get to see Kovy with Ovy and BAckstrom. I called it with my buddy a few weeks ago about him going to the caps and it would be awesome to those 3 out there on a PP. We will see if he has any juice left playing with some Russians in Washington.

After losing last week and topping it off with DET season was toast. 2 or 3 wins and we would be right up TOR's butt (who will probably be crushed by losing to a zamboni driver). But season is gone and looks like MB isn't worried about the few points Scandella and Kovy could of added for coming up short. Here's to the team going 18-2 in the last 20 and knocking TOR out on the last game of the season LOL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Caps have sucked of late.

Hopefully they get bounced in the 1st round and it's a mid-3rd pick - and Kovy signs with us in the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad