Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk (50% retained) to Washington for a 2020 3rd

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Why’s everyone bitching about this 3rd round pick? We have plenty of mid-late round picks on our roster currently. How are you supposed to build a team without draft picks?

Keeping him to see him walk July 1 would have been a lot stupider.
I think they are just showing their indifference.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Pretty disappointed if im being honest. I dont value a 3rd round pick at all (complete shot in the dark).

I know its good value considering what we got him for - but I almost would have prefered to keep him at that value.

I do agree with posters saying he may have had a handshake deal with Habs to get sent to a contender at TDL when he signed if Habs werent in the picture.

The trade is fine - Bergevin is good at selling so i dont think he hot ripped off. Just disappointed he didnt fetch slightly more

Reactions: llamateizer

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
I do care about giving underserved praise. Because while many of us here know he is shit, Twitter is still praising him like christ for getting useless draft picks. All these media guys tweeting and retweeting flowers for Marc... I mean when is the sentiment going to change? Why do I feel we are the minority? I'm not crazy here, this guy is a legit bad GM. It will never change till the media stops sucking up.
I'm one of those old people that still do Facebook and I've seen a change on Habs official FB page this winter. More people are calling for Bergevin ( and Julien) getting fired then previous seasons.
Still a lot of people call him the best GM in 30+ years, "He WinZ aLl Da TrAdEs" and still other call for anyone criticing management to go cheer for the Leafs, but there is clearly a change this year.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Value is low, a low 3rd, but still value created out of thin air.
Need I remind you all that Gallagher was a 5th-round pick??? Anything can happen and a free possibly valuable/good player created out of thin air (as you said) for what cost the Habs only 350K is certainly something to celebrate!

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
A 3rd round pick is what I expected for Kovy. Given how GMs could've signed him for nothing less than 2 months ago, I just had a hard time seeing a GM wanting to look bad by giving a higher quality asset so soon later.

It was fun to watch him the last couple months and I am hoping he can get a cup with the Caps.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Why’s everyone bitching about this 3rd round pick? We have plenty of mid-late round picks on our roster currently. How are you supposed to build a team without draft picks?

Keeping him to see him walk July 1 would have been a lot stupider.

Because the feeling (and yes, there is no proof to the feeling) is that he could have done better by selling high a week and a half ago when he was nearly PPG for the Habs, playing inpsired/well and there was a lot of buzz rather than after a ho-hum come back to earth and play mediocre again. Our GM never fails to miss an opportunity because of his you never know approach.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Pens gave up a 3rd for Marleau, that becomes a 2nd if they win the cup.

Rutherford's an idiot for giving up more for Marleau and not ponying up for Kovalchuk.
maybe Rutherford offered MB a 2nd for Kovy, but Kovy turned it down :eek:

I'm p***ed. MB didn't consult with me:(

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Pens gave up a 3rd for Marleau, that becomes a 2nd if they win the cup.

Rutherford's an idiot for giving up more for Marleau and not ponying up for Kovalchuk.
Jim Rutherford was a bust of a GM in Raleigh North Carolina, but a genius GM with the Pens (two Stanley Cups). He rather have Patrick Marleau than Kovi due to Marleau’s leadership skill most likely.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
maybe Rutherford offered MB a 2nd for Kovy, but Kovy turned it down :eek:

I'm p***ed. MB didn't consult with me:(

I wanted a 2nd that becomes a 1st if the acquiring team does well.

Only way to justify this is if Kovalchuk comes back in July.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Marleau who is older and even less effective also got a 3rd and which could become a 2nd if he wins the cup.

If MB plan is to resign him maybe he should of added condition that would make WSH less likely to consider resign him... MB doesn’t seem to put much attention to detail or trying to squeeze out all the value out of each trade... adding condition to improve return based on Kovalchuk resigning or winning the cup might almost be a waste of time but why wouldn’t you try to cover all possibilities... You can please Kovalchuk and still protect / maximize return if things don’t go had planned...

DarkSender

Apr 29, 2019
Laval
MB doesn't seem to put much attention to detail but still ends up with 14 draft picks this summer...

We cannot argue whether he puts much attention to details or not but having Kovalchuk signed on July 1st can backfire on us too. So I'm not sure if thats Bergy's top priority. Let's not be emotional with players. Kovy is 36. His time in Montreal was spectacular. He is going to be 37 soon. Let's chill a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad