Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk (50% retained) to Washington for a 2020 3rd

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
A sigh of relief that we're selling. Would have liked a 2nd but this is still solid.

I would call trading Scandella and Kovalchuk selling. Those are two guys who were not really part of the team and who MB acquired for nothing not so long ago.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I honestly hope he doesn't trade Thompson. I want Poehling and Evans down in Laval for the rest of the year.
I think Evans' time is now. How much more does he have to learn in the AHL at this age?
I think signing a veteran #4C shouldn't be a problem in the off season.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So... Scandella and Kovalchuk so far... still 1 more slot... Carey?

Edit: Probably not Carey, but it means Bergy could have a hard time moving both Petry and Tatar if it was his wish (not necessarily something I would want, I'm not sure). I know Caps are close to the Cap, but it seems like a waste of a Salary Retain slot for that low $$$.
Absolutely. Unless there is something I can't see, this was very dumb. Par for the course for our dumb GM.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think Evans' time is now. How much more does he have to learn in the AHL at this age?
I think signing a veteran #4C shouldn't be a problem in the off season.

I think he's ready too, but I want him for the playoff push and the chemistry the first line have.

I'm a big fan of his work ethic and leadership, I think it rubs off positively on the rest of the team.

Reactions: Mrb1p

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think he's ready too, but I want him for the playoff push and the chemistry the first line have.

ironically, i think he may be more ready for an NHL top 9 wing position than an NHL 4c position. Julien relies heavily on his 4c for defensive assignments.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
So did we basically buy a third round pick and maybe three wins for 630,000.00$?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

I'm a big fan of his work ethic and leadership, I think it rubs off positively on the rest of the team.
Sure. He's been dynamite in Laval and I would love them to make a push. But what should be a priority? Farm team success or giving a young player an extended audition for the purpose of integrating him to the big club permanently?
Also, they have a couple of guys who can play #4C till the end of the season. It's not like a guy like Weal is going to to hurt them badly in this role.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Sure. He's been dynamite in Laval and I would love them to make a push. But what should be a priority? Farm team success or giving a young player an extended audition for the purpose of integrating him to the big club permanently?
Also, they have a couple of guys who can play #4C till the end of the season. It's not like a guy like Weal is going to to hurt them badly in this role.

It's not only farm team success. It's Evans being the de facto leader (as a forward) for that club down the stretch. It's invaluable experience for a player. It impacts other prospects down there as well.

I don't think it would a bad decision to bring him up: he's ready and he's paid his dues. But it's not my preferred option.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Dude... this is such a small trade. It's hardly worth talking about. As for MB getting praise... who cares? Again, it's a 3rd.

I do care about giving underserved praise. Because while many of us here know he is shit, Twitter is still praising him like christ for getting useless draft picks. All these media guys tweeting and retweeting flowers for Marc... I mean when is the sentiment going to change? Why do I feel we are the minority? I'm not crazy here, this guy is a legit bad GM. It will never change till the media stops sucking up.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't understand how one has anything to do with the other... we can always re-sign him anyway and then it's a free third round pick. Hell, it's a free third round pick anyway.

If he tells you that he's not coming back, then chances are that he will not come back next year either, so you get whatever you can.

I don't think we can just assume that he's signing back here next year if he told then he wants to leave now.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Kovy and OV are great friends......it's his best chance to win the Cup too....and likely OV wants him to stay next season ....

Thanks Kovy for the short time in Montreal.

Reactions: 26Mats

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
A sigh of relief that we're selling. Would have liked a 2nd but this is still solid.
I wouldn’t bet on it. Trading pending UFAs doesn’t mean he’s selling. He’d have to trade Petry or Tatar for that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I wouldn’t bet on it. Trading pending UFAs doesn’t mean he’s selling. He’d have to trade Petry or Tatar for that.

This shows me he's thrown unbthe towrl on this season. Throwing in the towel for a 3rd round pick ??

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
You ask me a question and I answered it proving my point. Sorry? :dunno:

Naming Andrighetto to prove your point that the Habs have drafted quality NHLers in the 3rd round previously? I'm good with receiving a 3rd for Kovalchuk but if that 3rd has a similar career than Andrighetto, then that pick will have close to zero value to the Habs in the future.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->