Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk (50% retained) to Washington for a 2020 3rd

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
if he traded kovy for a third while retaining im afraid that means we wont be seeing any major trades. hes looking at what he can get knowing he wont make major moves

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's only a good decision if kovalchuk told them he wasn't coming back. Otherwise, my bar based on this year's market is a 2nd rounder.

The other scenario is that kovalchuk remains open to coming back to MTL next year, but I somehow doubt that one.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Like others have said... MB did Kovy a favour, as he now has a shot at the Cup.

The 3rd pick will certainly and ultimately be a non-NHLer.

... Although Jake Guentzel and Bradon Point were 3rd rounders.

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
So we should be furious that he's trading UFAs he acquired for nothing and turned them into a 2nd and more picks? Isn't that what EVERYONE here wanted us to do?

As for the rest of your post, I already addressed that.
He claimed we were bringing back the same team, but now that it’s clearly not the case, he’s complaining that we only bringing back 2nd’s and 3rd’s, when we start getting 1st, it’ll be well they late 1st round picks.....

many great players have come out of these rounds, and this being a very deep draft, accumulating picks is top priority.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
The truth is this is a good move. Likely pre-negotiated before Kovy signed here. If we don't trade him to a contender this year he would simply walk July 1st.

Kovy as a player, and as a leader was putting us too close to drafting 15th.

Reactions: Andrei79

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Well, Im kinda sad. Thought that a 50% retained Kovy would bring a 2nd pick. Seriously, the last good player picked by the Habs on 3rd rd was 16 years ago (Alex Emelin).

If the plan would be to play the last quarter with our young guns, I would prefer to keep him and bring some knowledge to Sunuki, Kotkaniemi, Brooks, Poehling, etc. But it doesnt seem the case so better take the pick even if we'll probably screw that one like all the others since 2 decades.

That said, the Kovy era's was fun... more than the Czerkawski's era.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
A 3 rd is less than I expected, kind expected a 2nd, event if we had to package a 3rd or 4th also 50% retain why??? he make league min... He probably was plan B or C for most team so I understand moving sooner than later but I think if the price is a 3rd he could have gotten that tomorrow... So MB and Kovalchuk probably had a deal in which Kovalchuk had a saw on where he was going.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Emelin and Plekky were drafted by another scout team, different decade. Weber was drafted by another team. How many 3rd round draft by Timmins plays nhl level?
Andrighetto was an NHL'er for a while, probably still could be. Fleury showed he'll be an NHL'er this year. Perhaps Vejdemo as well. Not bad at all considering most third rounders don't play in the big time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad