Player Discussion Koskinen Re-Signed PT2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What about Kassian? He has the most points of all our wingers by a mile in 2019.

This is damning with praise. Only one of our wingers in the entire roster has as many as 20pts and this only because he's parked in topsix almost constantly. Kassian isn't bringing much or any production when playing bottomsix either.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Here's $30.7 million dollars of cap space we're on the book for next season:

Lucic $6 Million
Koskinen $4.5 Million
Manning $2.25 Million
Kassian $1.95 Million
Benning $1.9 Million
Russell $4 Million
Spooner $2 Million
Brodziak $1 Million
Sekera $5.5 Million
Pouliot $1.3 Million
Gryba $0.3 Million

That's 38% percent of our cap space and we might not have a single impact player among them next year. All of them combined are on pace for less points than Leon Draisaitl this year. That's a whole lot of dead weight.
so much garbage lol

maybe Koskinen is the real deal and Sekera comes back fully healthy next year and helps the team...they would mitigate the dead weight a bit

still, if Talbot gets hot here and leads the team into the playoffs..that contract looks even more hilarious

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
so much garbage lol

maybe Koskinen is the real deal and Sekera comes back fully healthy next year and helps the team...they would mitigate the dead weight a bit

still, if Talbot gets hot here and leads the team into the playoffs..that contract looks even more hilarious
I doubt that would happen but it would be pretty funny.

But man almost every single contract Chiarelli signed is an overpayment. How is that possible.

Reactions: TB12

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This is damning with praise. Only one of our wingers in the entire roster has as many as 20pts and this only because he's parked in topsix almost constantly. Kassian isn't bringing much or any production when playing bottomsix either.
Well Kassian has 10 points +5 in 15 games since 2019 started. That’s pretty solid winger numbers. I’m just saying that I disagree that his 1.9 salary cap is dead weight to the team. Though what you pointed out is scary. Who would have guessed Chiasson would lead our wingers.

Reactions: NeverForget06

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I agree although I still have hope for Sekera. If he can come back to 80% of what he was he will really solidify the 3rd pairing.

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Jones/Gravel/Benning

I am fine with those pairings.

This team is going nowhere with Russell playing top 4 minutes. Need an upgrade there.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This team is going nowhere with Russell playing top 4 minutes. Need an upgrade there.

The problem lately has been that he has been playing too much in the absence of Klefbom.

I think he is just fine with reduced minutes.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Well Kassian has 10 points +5 in 15 games since 2019 started. That’s pretty solid winger numbers. I’m just saying that I disagree that his 1.9 salary cap is dead weight to the team. Though what you pointed out is scary. Who would have guessed Chiasson would lead our wingers.

Yeah, I'll take Kassian at 1.9 per all day long. He's an effective hockey player, and has been having a pretty good 2019. Hardly dead weight. The rest of that list though? Terrifying. Although it's just too early to judge Koskinen. However, I'd put the percentage of that deal becoming an over payment at about 80%.

In terms of other posters talking about Sekera coming back and making an impact, I wouldn't bet on it. At his age, and the fact that his lower body has taken two very significant injuries in the past two years, I would say he is all but done at being a high impact defenseman. Which really, really sucks because he was so good in 16-17.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Going to be funyn seeing all of Koskinens direct comparables get fair $1-$2 mil contracts the next year.Paid almost 4 times the market rate

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Going to be funyn seeing all of Koskinens direct comparables get fair $1-$2 mil contracts the next year.Paid almost 4 times the market rate
Paying him 2.5 out of the gate was stupid. I said as much when he was signed. Any potential extension was going to cost them more.

And now we're stuck with this. What a farce of a contract.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
it actually wasn't
they paid more yes, but it was only a 1-year deal

the extension on the other hand...was insane
I realize that the Oilers were in competition with other teams for his services, but any extension was always going to cost more.

This org is obsessed with overpaying players.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So does Talbot start the next game as well so that Koskinen is so cold when Talbot is inevitably dealt that he loses 10 in a row, loses confidence and then melts down to the point of playing like Montoya this season all for the low cost of $4.5 million.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
4.5 was huge overpay and now they won’t even give the guy the chance to get his groove somewhat back. Start Koskinen and for a couple games. He was lights out with Klef in the lineup. Play the guy you committed to.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hitch seems to really dislike Koskinen right now. Koskinen doing something bad after getting his sweet contract? Hitch put a lot of time in protecting his goalies and talking them up to try to build their confidence. Quite a shift in his handling of Koskinen.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
So does Talbot start the next game as well so that Koskinen is so cold when Talbot is inevitably dealt that he loses 10 in a row, loses confidence and then melts down to the point of playing like Montoya this season all for the low cost of $4.5 million.

Pretty much how I see this playing out.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Hitch seems to really dislike Koskinen right now. Koskinen doing something bad after getting his sweet contract? Hitch put a lot of time in protecting his goalies and talking them up to try to build their confidence. Quite a shift in his handling of Koskinen.

Koskinen hasn't done much to prove to Hitch. Hitchcock hasn't had the best of luck with goaltending since Eddie the Eagle.

Koskinen has not had the best support recently either although he never helped the cause. Hitch will grow on Koskinen eventually.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Hitchcock was mad at Koskinen after his last start (the OT loss in Montreal).

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The Edmonton Oilers are very close to a decision on Andrej Sekera and other assorted Sunday musings: 9 Things

8. If the Oilers really felt that Mikko Koskinen was their guy and rewarded him with the big contract then why is Cam Talbot in the nets right now? Well, I’m pretty sure Ken Hitchcock follows his instincts and just feels that Cam is playing better. But I’m also not so sure the club doesn’t plan to eventually sign both goalies. Just sayin’.

So maybe I'm misreading that but is he saying there's a chance the Oilers might re-sign Talbot too? Lolz

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Hitch probably just doesnt like mediocre goalie. Koskinen has been sliding hard since his 10 games hot stretch at the start of the year

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Paying him 2.5 out of the gate was stupid. I said as much when he was signed. Any potential extension was going to cost them more.

And now we're stuck with this. What a farce of a contract.

The 2.5 was pretty dumb (but on the Chiarelli scalemove, it wasnt dumb dumb) It set this benchmark for his next contract. I fail to see how you get him under 2.5 on his next deal.

The whole situation should be a lesson to people in these threads who justify bad moves by saying "Calm down, its only "X" number of years" or "X player gets even more, so this player could have gotten more elsewhere"

The initial 2.5 mil contract on its own was a meh move. But taken into account with all of Chiarellis moves, it was a signal of an incoming dumb move. Chiarelli obviously loved him and thought he was the next Kipper. So the 4.5 gross overpay was to be expected

This contract is going to be the next Villie Leino situation

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Too bad he took the first 3 months of the season off though.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

You don’t play the weaker goalie just because management was stupid enough to extend the wrong guy. May as well keep using Cam until he’s traded or extended

The Edmonton Oilers are very close to a decision on Andrej Sekera and other assorted Sunday musings: 9 Things

8. If the Oilers really felt that Mikko Koskinen was their guy and rewarded him with the big contract then why is Cam Talbot in the nets right now? Well, I’m pretty sure Ken Hitchcock follows his instincts and just feels that Cam is playing better. But I’m also not so sure the club doesn’t plan to eventually sign both goalies. Just sayin’.

So maybe I'm misreading that but is he saying there's a chance the Oilers might re-sign Talbot too? Lolz

Oh thank god. Hopefully he’s right. Just because you screwed up and signed Koskinen doesn’t mean you have to double down and trade Talbot too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad