Player Discussion Koskinen Re-Signed PT2

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by The Nuge, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil Moderator

What has Cam done to earn an extension in the past 2 seasons? Koskinen had a hot stretch at least, Cam really hasn't. If we are trying our anchor to Koskinen then imo we should add a younger and hungry goalie to challenge him next season.

frag2 likes this.
  2. frag2

frag2 Registered User

Watch they just give Starrett the backup role

3. Beerfish

Beerfish Registered User

Cam Talbot should in no way in the world be part of this teams plans going forward. They should do what ever they can to trade him before the deadline. if they can't let him walk.

Bryanbryoil likes this.
  4. The Nuge

The Nuge Top 9 Forward Count - 6/9

Besides having 5 straight years with a better SV% than Koskinen has ever had? Talbot has one bad year, and suddenly we’re ready to ditch him for nothing? Even when he was in the running for the Vezina 2 years ago? And even during his bad year this year, he’s still looked like the much better goalie.

And no, last year wasn’t that bad. Considering Koskinen has a lower SV% this year than Cam had last year, and that was apparently enough to give Koskinen a massive raise, you can’t say Cam was bad last year.

Koskinen is going to be the next Darling. I’ll be shocked if he’s not in the AHL before the deal ends, because he’s a mediocre backup with glaring flaws. Once every team figures out he can’t move for **** and you just need a simple lateral move to beat him (which has seemingly already started to happen when you watch the Montreal game for example), his stats are going to continue to plummet

5. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil Moderator

He should be in the running but we need another guy as a back-up in the event that he's not ready or Koskinen shats the bed.

IMO Koskinen has looked much slower post to post of late and I wonder if he might have a lingering injury hence why Talbot has been playing more. Even if Koskinen sucks (IMO the jury is still out on that), Talbot is far from the answer here. I'm not sure why you are saying that Talbot didn't have a bad year last season. Yes he finally dragged his save % to 0.900+ but he was far from good.

6. SavesFromKosko

SavesFromKosko Registered User

Talbot was a fantastic back up and a great goalie one year as a starter. He sucks now. Now giving kosko 4.5 mill was overpay but also writing him off after half a season is also a complete joke. He was fantastic before klef went down and then he nose dived. Talbot has consistently sucked all year.

Bryanbryoil likes this.
  7. McShogun99

McShogun99 Registered User

I agree with you on Koskinen potentially being the next Darling. He's done nothing to earn his contract and it could come back to bite us bad. Talbot though has been bad for 3 out of his 4 seasons with us. His first year he was bad until January and then started playing better once we were out of it, last year and this year he's been Dubnyk bad.

Bryanbryoil likes this.
  8. SavesFromKosko

Also Darlings career is closer to Talbots rather than Koskinens. Fantastic goaltender as a backup who is complete trash as a starter. (Aside from Talbots glory year)

9. The Nuge

He’s always been slow. That’s been the criticism of him going back to the preseason. He’s just reading the play slower, which is why he’s getting lit up. Just look at the pathetic goal he gave up to Domi. He had a hot streak, and didn’t even look good then. Now he’s showing why he shouldn’t have been extended.

Talbot wasn’t good last year. But he was mediocre, and that was still better than Koskinen is. Talbot was the answer here, and still looks good in the net despite the struggles. I’d much rather go with a career .915 goalie who’s had an off year than a .902 goalie who’s never even had a good year.

Writing him off after half a season? There’s no evidence to think anything else. He had a hot streak where he didn’t look good, but was stopping the puck. He struggled before that, and he’s struggled after that. He was never fantastic, despite the numbers.

3 bad years? A .917 SV% in his first year is bad? Him starting slow doesn’t make it a bad year, and it’s kind of ridiculous to suggest that. My point was his supposed horrible year last year was still better than Koskinen right now. 4 good years, 1 mediocre year, and 1 bad year gets Talbot run out of town, but 1 mediocre (and turning bad) year gets Koskinen a 3 year extension and blind support from the fanbase.

10. SavesFromKosko

I like how you say “blind support” for kosko from the fan base while you are defending Talbot. Cough* kettle cough* black

11. The Nuge

Saying Talbot is the better bet because of his history and his current play is blind support? Koskinen looks bad in the net, has bad stats, and has no history to make one think that this isn’t the goalie we’ll see going forward. But people think he’s going to be good because of a brief hot streak, and... what? What evidence is there to back up the claim that Koskinen will be capable of being a starter? His game the other night against Montreal was one of the most pathetic showings I’ve ever seen. And clearly Hitch agrees considering he immediately went back to Talbot for the 3 games since

12. SavesFromKosko

There is none yet. I already said he is overpaid and boy it’s a gamble. Writing him off after two months of bad play yet defending Talbot after two years of bad play is ridiculous. We don’t have much on Kosko but we have overwhelming evidence that Talbot isn’t capable of being a starter. Except your tunnel vision of his good year three years ago.

13. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil Moderator

You know more about the position given your playing experience in the position. That said Talbot is not the answer here, Koskinen may not be either fwiw, but they bet on Koskinen and given the contract we cannot afford to add a #1 if he falters. IMO we need to get Koskinen back in net and hope that he's ready to get on a roll again because IMO he has a better chance of getting hot again than Tabot does. Koskinen has had some stinkers however prior to them his stats were FAR superior to Talbot's and likely still are without me even looking at them.

14. The Nuge

.941, .926, .917, .919, .908, .893 (career .915)

Vs

.915, .898, .932, .923, .918, .908, .931, .921, .901 (career .918)

Vs

.873, .906 (career .902)

2 of the 3 are similar. The other is much worse. The top 2 are Talbot and Bobrovsky. The last is obviously Koskinen.

Talbot had 4 straight very good seasons. I’m not focusing on one year. I’m also going off of the way he tracks the puck, and moves in the net. He’s playing well despite not stopping the puck as well as normal. That makes me think he’s a prime candidate to bounce back. Koskinen on the other hand isn’t stopping the puck AND looks bad in the net.

Messrules11 likes this.
  15. McShogun99

McShogun99 Registered User

Did you forget how bad he was the first few months of his first year? He was letting in goals from behind the goal line. Nilsson had a bit of a streak in December then came back down to earth. By the time January came we were already nearly eliminated from the playoffs, then Talbot started playing good and boosting his stats. This year and last year he's been horrible.

16. SavesFromKosko

Now you are pulling his stats from when he was a backup. Could you grasp at straws any more? Backup stats can be misleading as you should know considering you were the one to bring up Darling.

17. drewjenks

drewjenks Registered User

Why doesn't he have a 4.5 million AAV?

18. Mr Positive

Mr Positive Cap Crunch Incoming

Benefit of RFA contract condition?

19. Messrules11

Messrules11 Registered User

If backup stats are misleading then what does that say about Koskinen? If not for his little hot streak his stats are horrendous. This is a guy who is used to playing 30 games a year in an inferior league now he’ll be asked to play 50-60 against the best players in the world. Signing him to this new deal is a HUGE mistake. Shoot high and it’s in

20. Mr Positive

Mr Positive Cap Crunch Incoming

I can agree but I'd still like to see our goalies with a better team playing in front

21. Messrules11

Agreed, but giving Kos 4.5 just makes it even harder to have a better team in front. More wasted cap space imo

22. SavesFromKosko

Backup stats are misleading because they typically get the easier games. That’s just a fact. Has nothing to do with Koskinen. Again I already admitted koskinen was overpaid. I’m not argueing Koskinen is a good goalie. I was just pointing out that closing the book on Koskinen but defending talbot at the same time is ridiculous. I guess we can all agree that it would be fantastic if Starret could have a strong camp next year.

23. Messrules11

Typically doesn’t mean jack.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  24. SavesFromKosko

Great point.

25. Messrules11

So saying Talbot sucks is allowed but saying Kos sucks isn’t. No bias from you at all.