Player Discussion Koskinen Re-Signed PT2

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
.941, .926, .917, .919, .908, .893 (career .915)

Vs

.915, .898, .932, .923, .918, .908, .931, .921, .901 (career .918)

Vs

.873, .906 (career .902)

2 of the 3 are similar. The other is much worse. The top 2 are Talbot and Bobrovsky. The last is obviously Koskinen.

Talbot had 4 straight very good seasons. I’m not focusing on one year. I’m also going off of the way he tracks the puck, and moves in the net. He’s playing well despite not stopping the puck as well as normal. That makes me think he’s a prime candidate to bounce back. Koskinen on the other hand isn’t stopping the puck AND looks bad in the net.

The bolded is as a backup on a good NYR team. His first year here his win/loss record was 21-27-5, that's a bad year regardless of his .917 SP. His .917 SP also put him in 35th place among goalies that played 12 or more games. His SP was ranked in 20th place out of all goalies that played 40 or more games in 2016/17. So yes, he was garbage his 1st year here, just not as bad as he's been the last 2 years.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
So saying Talbot sucks is allowed but saying Kos sucks isn’t. No bias from you at all.
I didn’t say Koskinen didn’t suck. When someone is giving up on koskinen after 2 months of bad play but defending Talbot after two years of bad play I just struggle to understand that logic. Make sense?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It’s so weird that Brossoit looks better away from the Oilers... what’s stopping Talbot from having a similar rebound?

This organization is the dumbest in sports. The Browns couldn’t be this incompetent.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I didn’t say Koskinen didn’t suck. When someone is giving up on koskinen after 2 months of bad play but defending Talbot after two years of bad play I just struggle to understand that logic. Make sense?
I can agree. Fact is we’re stuck with Kos now and imo it’s going to be even worse then when Talbot was the starter. McD window doesn’t look so good

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I can agree. Fact is we’re stuck with Kos now and imo it’s going to be even worse then when Talbot was the starter. McD window doesn’t look so good
That’s why I’m hoping the number one goalie GAA wise in the AHL AKA Starret can push koskinen next year. He will be 25 so it won’t be like he’s rushed.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Now you are pulling his stats from when he was a backup. Could you grasp at straws any more? Backup stats can be misleading as you should know considering you were the one to bring up Darling.

You’re joking right? Grasping at straws? Ignore those 2 years if you must. Talbot still had a .917 and .919 his first two years here, and Koskinen isn’t half the goalie that Talbot has been for us.

The point was to show that goalies save percentages vary. Bobrovsky is going to get 6+ million coming off a .901 SV% because people aren’t so short sighted that they assume one down year in SV% means a goalie is done forever

We’re talking about a goalie who has never been good vs a goalie who not that long ago was elite. No it doesn’t make sense

It’s a few months of bad play with no other history of good play. Koskinen has shown nothing to disprove that the mediocre backup that’s he’s been this year is as good as we’re going to get from him.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You’re joking right? Grasping at straws? Ignore those 2 years if you must. Talbot still had a .917 and .919 his first two years here, and Koskinen isn’t half the goalie that Talbot has been for us.

The point was to show that goalies save percentages vary. Bobrovsky is going to get 6+ million coming off a .901 SV% because people aren’t so short sighted that they assume one down year in SV% means a goalie is done forever

We’re talking about a goalie who has never been good vs a goalie who not that long ago was elite. No it doesn’t make sense

It’s a few months of bad play with no other history of good play. Koskinen has shown nothing to disprove that the mediocre backup that’s he’s been this year is as good as we’re going to get from him.
So you believe that Talbot can regain his former self from two years ago. Yet you don’t think it’s possible for Koskinen to regain his former level of play from two months ago? Again not a big Kosko fan even though my name says different. I am just struggling to understand your unflinching faith in Talbot.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So you believe that Talbot can regain his former self from two years ago. Yet you don’t think it’s possible for Koskinen to regain his former level of play from two months ago? Again not a big Kosko fan even though my name says different. I am just struggling to understand your unflinching faith in Talbot.

What form from 2 months ago? When he looked like **** but was somehow stopping the puck? No I don’t believe he can permanently be on a hot streak for 3.5 years.

What you’re failing to understand is I don’t have unflinching faith in Talbot. I wanted to sign him to be a backup, in the hopes he rebounds, and go after a goalie in free agency. Unfortunately, now that we’re saddled with Koskinen, we have to somehow find a way to get a goalie for 1.5-2.5 per over the next 3 years, who is capable of being a starter. Talbot might be able to rebound and be that guy, and I don’t see how we get that goalie otherwise. Our only other option really is going to be to continue to have no forwards, and spend 10+ million on a middle of the road tandem

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Chiarelli, and whatever other managerial donkeys we’re supposedly overseeing this, made a huge bet in terms of cap space that Koskinen can live up to an overly fat and bloated contract. There was absolutely no need to do this. One more middle finger to the fans from a clutch of idiots.

Reactions: TB12

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Koskinen did it for 10 games. Talbot did it for 4 years

You want me to bet who will be better in the future? Ill put all my money, my house and take a bank loan to put on Talbot

Reactions: The Nuge

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Koskinen did it for 10 games. Talbot did it for 4 years

You want me to bet who will be better in the future? Ill put all my money, my house and take a bank loan to put on Talbot
1 year* Stop factoring in sheltered back up seasons and again for the 100th time my point isn’t Koskinen is better.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
1 year* Stop factoring in sheltered back up seasons and again for the 100th time my point isn’t Koskinen is better.

His last year in New York, Lundqvist went on the IR, and Talbot took over as the starter and outperformed Lundqvist. His first year here he put up completely respectable starter numbers behind a terrible team. You repeatedly trying to discredit everything he’s done makes your bias pretty obvious. You think Talbot sucks, and Koskinen doesn’t and haven’t provided anything to back up either claim.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Actually the first year he didnt put up respectable numbers until the season was lost.... He lost his job to Nillson at one point.

You might as well give Koskinen 3-4 games in row to see how he does. Stuck with him now.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Koskinen was the back up when he had that one good stretch haha, he got the starting gig after that and then proceeded to completely fail

Talbot did it for 186 games (including 2 seasons as a starter), Koskinen did it for 10 games as a backup

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
His last year in New York, Lundqvist went on the IR, and Talbot took over as the starter and outperformed Lundqvist. His first year here he put up completely respectable starter numbers behind a terrible team. You repeatedly trying to discredit everything he’s done makes your bias pretty obvious. You think Talbot sucks, and Koskinen doesn’t and haven’t provided anything to back up either claim.
Okay. I never said Koskinen doesn’t suck. Anyways I’m done with this argument that’s going around in circles. Enjoy keeping Tabs on Talbot when he plays for the Dinamo Riga next year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Actually the first year he didnt put up respectable numbers until the season was lost.... He lost his job to Nillson at one point.

You might as well give Koskinen 3-4 games in row to see how he does. Stuck with him now.

Lolol. He had one bad stretch in late November/early December and Nilsson had 10 good games and for like 1 second Nilsson took the starting role, Talbot stole it back with a vengeance by the end of December and never looked back

I swear we need someone to sticky a thread about past Oiler season with what actually happened because so many fans misremember (or invent) what actually happened

Reactions: The Nuge

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Koskinen was the back up when he had that one good stretch haha, he got the starting gig after that and then proceeded to completely fail

Talbot did it for 186 games (including 2 seasons as a starter), Koskinen did it for 10 games as a backup
I’m glad Talbot was good 600 days ago. Really helping the team out.

Reactions: nturn06

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Okay. I never said Koskinen doesn’t suck. Anyways I’m done with this argument that’s going around in circles. Enjoy keeping Tabs on Talbot when he plays for the Dinamo Riga next year.

And Oiler fans can enjoy Koskinen, who should be in the KHL, eat up 4.5 mil of the cap for the forseeable future

Or we can enjoy next year when an AHL call up outduels Koskinen and we have a 4.5 mil back up

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
And Oiler fans can enjoy Koskinen, who should be in the KHL, eat up 4.5 mil of the cap for the forseeable future

Or we can enjoy next year when an AHL call up outduels Koskinen and we have a 4.5 mil back up
Well atleast we are down from two overpaid garbage goalies to one hey? Hmm a backup goalie paid 4.5 million. Where on earth have I seen that?

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
My money is still on Kosko to earn his poorly thought out contract. Point blanks shots because of inept defensive structure doesn't look good on goalie stats. When we we're decent defensively he was good.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

That’s actually not true. His numbers were fine all year, and that season was lost from the start. Chiarelli literally said he wasn’t going to try to fix the team until he saw what they did for a year. As was said already, Nilsson had a hot stretch before returning to normal, and Cam took over again. Sounds kind of familiar...

It’s only a circle because you’ve ignored all evidence presented, and can’t provide anything to back up your claim that Koskinen is anything other than the goalie he’s currently showing to be.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
That’s actually not true. His numbers were fine all year, and that season was lost from the start. Chiarelli literally said he wasn’t going to try to fix the team until he saw what they did for a year. As was said already, Nilsson had a hot stretch before returning to normal, and Cam took over again. Sounds kind of familiar...

It’s only a circle because you’ve ignored all evidence presented, and can’t provide anything to back up your claim that Koskinen is anything other than the goalie he’s currently showing to be.
I didn't claim Koskinen is anything. Keep paddling though.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I didn't claim Koskinen is anything. Keep paddling though.

You keep saying that, but also keep claiming we shouldn’t write Koskinen off because he’s only had half a season of poor play, and that’s apparently not enough to know what kind of player he is.

How about you actually provide some sort of evidence to back up your claim instead of resorting to petty attacks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad