Player Discussion Koskinen Re-Signed PT2

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Dude, game was over once Koskinen was brought in. The defense didn't make a single effort after Koskinen was brought in. If you are going to **** on a goalie, do it on a night they start and the defense is in the building
I mean the Hawks scored 4 goals in like 3 minutes.

But fine, Koskinen was garbage against Montreal so...

Reactions: The Nuge

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I mean the Hawks scored 4 goals in like 3 minutes.

But fine, Koskinen was garbage against Montreal so...
Yeah, and 3 of those were against Talbot. Before that 4th goal Koskinen faced like 4 or 5 high quality chances pretty quick. Guy couldn't even get eased in lol

Reactions: The Batman

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, and 3 of those were against Talbot. Before that 4th goal Koskinen faced like 4 or 5 high quality chances pretty quick. Guy couldn't even get eased in lol
It's the Oilers, there's no such thing as being eased in. Be prepared.

Also lol. This extension is right up there with the Lucic contract as the worst on the team.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

Also lol. This extension is right up there with the Lucic contract as the worst on the team.

Its worse. You can bury Lucic deep in the lineup where he does less harm and keep him hidden in bottomsix. How do you hide a starting goalie getting starting pay for the next 3 seasons. This contract is so inept. Its surreal that it even happened. Chia was intently screwing the org with that deal and the Caggiulia for Manning trade. How was that not even noted by an org? That these were f*** you to your face moves. How does anybody trade one of the few useful forwards on the team that tries, that is a friend of McD's, for Brendan Manning who is a mortal enemy?

Chia even did his signature Colby Cave late waiver pickup as his signature epitaph before being fired. He's probably laughing about how he did yet another team over that was intent on firing him. With getting paid and all I don't think he even cares anymore. His Gig is done anyway in the NHL. It was before the Cagg, Koskinen decisions.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Both goalies have been crap lately, just add it to the pile. So much for my fantasy of Klef coming back and saving the day, sounded good. :help:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Was a terribly timed signing. Maybe Koskinen turns it around when the rest of the team starts playing like they give a shit, who knows, but, there wasn't one other team in this league that was going to give him that AAV or that term based on such a small sample size.

Nice little goodbye gift from Chiarelli...fml.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
What's the buyout hit on Kosko? Checking the arm-chair GM thing on capfriendly and it comes up at $744k, doesn't seem correct.

Year 1: $744k
Year 2: $2.5 million
Year 3+: ???

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Why is there such a need to treat Koskinen's case as if he had not played some of the most demanding professional ice hockey previously.

He played the previous years for a team that was better in ice hockey than most variations of the Edmonton Oilers during those years. The reason why there has not been in example a succesful SKA St. Petersburgh goaltender in the NHL since when Bobrovski really became Vezina-Bobrovski (during lockout time in that same club) is that Koskinen manned that windy position of an ultra competitive ice hockey team for years as clear number one goaltender. And the opening for a NHL number one job came only now with the Oilers. He would eat Cam Talbot.

Antti Raanta and Antti Niemi were also late to come in the NHL after their first Eurasian success in domestic SM-liiga and both became number one goaltenders when their NHL opportunity arose. Koskinen did the same almost instantly taking over Talbot while also finding success in the national team similar to Raanta earlier on.

I understand the media narrative which is used in order to manipulate some cheap hubbub but why would anyone would want voluntarily to turn blind before forming their own judgment of Koskinen. How many times do you need to be wrong in judging Koskinen?

Reactions: jonu

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Id be in favour of making this the quickest signing and buy out contract ever

Hes another Nilsson/Scrivens.

I hope the new Gm actually looks for a starting goalie for next year because this guy isnt it (no matter how much money hes getting). Definition of a sunk cost

Reactions: Messrules11

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
This will be a huge boat anchor contract. It’s unbelievable how many bad decisions this organization makes.

Reactions: Messrules11

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Let him play behind a competent defense before judging him.

Thats like saying judge my ability to pick up girls until after I get to spend an afternoon in Greece with some supermodels

This is the Oilers, there will be no competent defense for the forseeable future

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Let him play behind a competent defense before judging him.

You mean we should trade Taylor Hall again for a competent D?

Not sure if your post was sarcastic. This is as competent as the D will look here. We have no assets to trade for any better D, and its beyond hilarious that we've played against Petry and Gustaffson in recent nights.

Its hilarious the Kings traded Muzzin for a couple of prospects. Apparently the "price you have to pay"

Muzzin is a better D by miles, than anybody we got here.

Whats even funnier is the Oilers will trade Talbot at some point, maybe even to the Kings, what with the Kings shopping Quick.

Muzzin could have been here.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
You mean we should trade Taylor Hall again for a competent D?

Not sure if your post was sarcastic. This is as competent as the D will look here. We have no assets to trade for any better D, and its beyond hilarious that we've played against Petry and Gustaffson in recent nights.

Its hilarious the Kings traded Muzzin for a couple of prospects. Apparently the "price you have to pay"

Muzzin is a better D by miles, than anybody we got here.

Whats even funnier is the Oilers will trade Talbot at some point, maybe even to the Kings, what with the Kings shopping Quick.

Muzzin could have been here.

I’m seeing piss-poor play by some D and some forwards that is making the goalie’s job near impossible. Without naming names. The D-zone coverage and puckhandling has been atrocious. Can’t rip the goalie when our own guys are coughing up the puck for five-alarm chances in the slot.

Reactions: jonu

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I’m seeing piss-poor play by some D and some forwards that is making the goalie’s job near impossible. Without naming names. The D-zone coverage and puckhandling has been atrocious. Can’t rip the goalie when our own guys are coughing up the puck for five-alarm chances in the slot.

Its not just the D, its 5 man unit play which is off and on like a switch with this club. But the D isn't getting any better and you can see how it makes your point about waiting for better D moot.

tbh I don't think we have a premium D on this club and the closest thing is Nurse. I don't think Larsson-Klefbom is actually a legit top pair. For where he is in the lineup Nurse is more than adequate but the Oilers sorely need a D that can play a shut down role and carry the top pairing. They don't have that in the lineup, and I don't know they have it in the entire roster.

The Muzzin trade is just salt in the wound signalling how available premium D can be at the right time for those that wait. Muzzin better than anybody we got and it didn't take a premium player in trade to get him. It didn't even take an NHL player.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No doubt but he still hasn't made the big save when we've needed him to. That goal in MTL was just terrible.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Why is there such a need to treat Koskinen's case as if he had not played some of the most demanding professional ice hockey previously.

He played the previous years for a team that was better in ice hockey than most variations of the Edmonton Oilers during those years. The reason why there has not been in example a succesful SKA St. Petersburgh goaltender in the NHL since when Bobrovski really became Vezina-Bobrovski (during lockout time in that same club) is that Koskinen manned that windy position of an ultra competitive ice hockey team for years as clear number one goaltender. And the opening for a NHL number one job came only now with the Oilers. He would eat Cam Talbot.

Antti Raanta and Antti Niemi were also late to come in the NHL after their first Eurasian success in domestic SM-liiga and both became number one goaltenders when their NHL opportunity arose. Koskinen did the same almost instantly taking over Talbot while also finding success in the national team similar to Raanta earlier on.

I understand the media narrative which is used in order to manipulate some cheap hubbub but why would anyone would want voluntarily to turn blind before forming their own judgment of Koskinen. How many times do you need to be wrong in judging Koskinen?

honest question but why did Koski stay so long in the KHL. Your other examples didn't stay in Europe long at all. They got snagged by NHL clubs quickly. What was missing in Koski's game that no one seemed to care to sign him for so many years in the KHL?

Also let's not pretend the KHL is as good as the NHL it isn't. I grant you that Koski's numbers were solid over there.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
honest question but why did Koski stay so long in the KHL. Your other examples didn't stay in Europe long at all. They got snagged by NHL clubs quickly. What was missing in Koski's game that no one seemed to care to sign him for so many years in the KHL?

He is far bigger goaltender than Raanta or Niemi or any regular sized goaltender. Hence it takes time for him to get comfortable in his body. Similar phenomenom can be seen in football's huge target-men who tend to breakout at older age even if they were playing in semi-professional or amateur circles the time before.

Koskinen then was earning NHL money and had a huge role in a free for all contract system where the highest club in the pecking order chose to rely on him for years. Longevity in the KHL is not exactly guaranteed while in the NHL thanks to guaranteed and restricted contracts goalies can hang in the system far longer.

In NHL there is still some strange belief that only someone who is located in that continent can only be judged. Despite that the huge anticipation for talent of Rask, Lehtonen, Saros, Thomas and Kiprusoff was already witnessed years before already in the SM-liiga. Koskinen wasn't in this category of ethereal goaltenders when he came over but so aren't about every current number one goaltender in the Northern American league either. There is no chance that Koskinen wasn't among the best 30 goaltenders in the world during 2013-2019.

Yes, NHL is better league than the KHL. But to be a better team has nothing to do with being in the NHL when it comes to coaching and environment. You of all people are experts in that.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
He is far bigger goaltender than Raanta or Niemi or any regular sized goaltender. Hence it takes time for him to get comfortable in his body. Similar phenomenom can be seen in football's huge target-men who tend to breakout at older age even if they were playing in semi-professional or amateur circles the time before.

Koskinen then was earning NHL money and had a huge role in a free for all contract system where the highest club in the pecking order chose to rely on him for years. Longevity in the KHL is not exactly guaranteed while in the NHL thanks to guaranteed and restricted contracts goalies can hang in the system far longer.

In NHL there is still some strange belief that only someone who is located in that continent can only be judged. Despite that the huge anticipation for talent of Rask, Lehtonen, Saros, Thomas and Kiprusoff was already witnessed years before already in the SM-liiga. Koskinen wasn't in this category of ethereal goaltenders when he came over but so aren't about every current number one goaltender in the Northern American league either. There is no chance that Koskinen wasn't among the best 30 goaltenders in the world during 2013-2019.

Yes, NHL is better league than the KHL. But to be a better team has nothing to do with being in the NHL when it comes to coaching and environment. You of all people are experts in that.

^^^ This guy is definitely Mikko Koskinen.

Reactions: Domino1

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
No doubt but he still hasn't made the big save when we've needed him to. That goal in MTL was just terrible.

Sure he has, 2nd period vs Flames in Dec. 9 game for example. Start of the 3rd period too in same game.

Also let's not pretend the KHL is as good as the NHL it isn't. I grant you that Koski's numbers were solid over there.

Koski stayed because he wanted a clear chance at being NHL goalie which was only given to him at Oilers. He had offers before but declined because he didn't want a 2 way contract. While KHL is not exactly NHL level, its still 2nd highest skilled league in the world.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Koski stayed because he wanted a clear chance at being NHL goalie which was only given to him at Oilers. He had offers before but declined because he didn't want a 2 way contract. While KHL is not exactly NHL level, its still 2nd highest skilled league in the world.

Well i guess thats the point. how come no other team was willing to offer more than a two way contract. The KHL is still a solid league for sure, but still... it isn't the NHL. Roughly I expect a 930 sv% to become a 915% one in the NHL, in the same number of games. However, add 20 games to that will decrease it by more. With a big guy like Koski perhaps a lot. I think he would be a solid NHL backup, but that isn't the contract we offered him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->