Rumor: Korshkov signs in KHL - Friedman Update: Will be a loan. Can be recalled for start of 20-21 season

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Hindsight is 20/20 while we can safely say Hunter’s pick really didn’t amount to much post 1st round.
Is Hunter over-rated? Or did his drafts post 1st round were purposely on high risk/high reward picks due to already having Willie, Marner, Matthews, Kadri, Reilly, Jake, along with Hyman, Brown, Leivo, Kap and AJ in the system?
Anyhow, this Korshkov pick really hurts as I think Carter Hart was still available at that time.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Hindsight is 20/20 while we can safely say Hunter’s pick really didn’t amount to much post 1st round.
Is Hunter over-rated? Or did his drafts post 1st round were purposely on high risk/high reward picks due to already having Willie, Marner, Matthews, Kadri, Reilly, Jake, along with Hyman, Brown, Leivo, Kap and AJ in the system?
Anyhow, this Korshkov pick really hurts as I think Carter Hart was still available at that time.

No hindsight was needed. It was a weird pick at the time with a very large group of fans and media questioning it. Hes done nothing to prove that thought process wrong, and has in fact only strengthened it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lots of people didnt.

You're also comparing apples to oranges. Marleau was a bad contract with costs to make go away. A draft pick is a clean slate to do what you want with
It can still work out and we can be thankful that going forward they will never make a bad pick again.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
No hindsight was needed. It was a weird pick at the time with a very large group of fans and media questioning it. Hes done nothing to prove that thought process wrong, and has in fact only strengthened it.
My hindsight comment was all of Hunter’s picks post 1st round.
Absolutely agree on the Korshkov pick as there are a lot of supposedly 1st rounders getting drop and were available.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
So we just shrug our shoulders when our chief scout blows a high pick?

You may think he turns into something, I do not.
Well yeah if you neglect to recognize other good picks. I really don’t mind one way or the other. I am pleased with our drafting. We have a roster player out every year going back six or seven years. Thats great. Not going in to all the positives if you aren’t going to apply them. A bad pick is as sure as taxes for all teams.
How’s buffalo doin, they started their build parallel with us.
Edit: we have a roster player on the team presently going back 8 years.Thats possibly unmatched in the league. I could have counted Gauthier too but didn’t:)

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Korshkov wouldn't be under KHL contract.

It would be a loan agreement between the KHL team, KHL, Leafs and the NHL. Same thing as when the Leafs loaned Nylander back to his MODO, then brought him to the AHL halfway through.

There's already been a few situations like this, and we will likely see more of them happening as we get closer to the Euro leagues starting back up.

For example, a guy like Kral will likely be loaned to a Czech team, seeing the uncertainty of the AHL/CHL seasons. Same thing with someone like SDA.
It is a totally different situation in the KHL & other European leagues. In those European leagues, a player´s contract is terminated per see if the NHL club wishes (recall). It is not a case in the KHL.

A player needs to sign a KHL contract to play in the KHL. That contract is registered by the KHL. And that KHL contract does not include an out-clause. If Korshkov wants to play for Lokomotiv, he needs to sign a KHL contract. Of course, there needs to be an agreement between all sides. Btw, it is the same as you see in the NHL, a player needs to sign an NHL contract to play an NHL game. And that NHL contract does not include an out-clause.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
But how do you guys know who was a good pick or wasn't at the time of the draft? I don't watch all these junior leagues, I don't know who the F any of these guys are at the time of the draft. I don't know, maybe you guys do, I am not saying anything. I am just amazed people have so much time to watch these junior players.

When the leafs were bad and I was younger the draft was the best part of hockey for me and still to this day I am puzzled by the Korshkov over Debrincat pick.

Not just the pick itself but the leafs seemed to be going in the direction of undersized skill forwards to build value. Pick just made sense imo.

Makes me really glad Marner was a London Knight or I'm not sure Hunter would have taken him. We all know Babcock wanted Hanifin.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Hunter is not over rated. He is barely rated.

Wasn't even a finalist for the Seattle position he applied for...Ironically our Gillman was.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hunter is not over rated. He is barely rated.

Wasn't even a finalist for the Seattle position he applied for...Ironically our Gillman was.
He applied for a job with Seattle? That’s new.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well yeah if you neglect to recognize other good picks. I really don’t mind one way or the other. I am pleased with our drafting. We have a roster player out every year going back six or seven years. Thats great. Not going in to all the positives if you aren’t going to apply them. A bad pick is as sure as taxes for all teams.
How’s buffalo doin, they started their build parallel with us.
Edit: we have a roster player on the team presently going back 8 years.Thats possibly unmatched in the league. I could have counted Gauthier too but didn’t:)
and we had Kadri for a good run also

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Quick Shifts: Maple Leafs' Dubas scouting free agents in bubble - Sportsnet.ca

3. When Leafs depth forward Egor Korshkov, a Phase 3 participant, failed to make the club’s bubble roster, it was soon reported he’d agreed to return to the KHL’s Yaroslavl Lokomotiv, with whom he spent five seasons before joining the Toronto Marlies’ 2019 playoff run.

That doesn’t necessarily mean Korshkov won’t be back in Canada sometime in 2021.

The pandemic has thrown all leagues’ schedules out of whack, so Dubas will treat each prospect on an individual basis, working out agreements that best serve development instead of going with a cookie-cutter policy for everyone in the system.

“Due to the circumstances that are impacting the world everywhere, we have to be a little bit more agile in our thinking in terms of what we want with our prospects,” Dubas explains. “None of these things are official yet, but some of these players have had relationships in Europe and they played in different places in Europe."

“If those places are safe and they’ve done a great job versus the virus and their seasons are going to start, it’s a great opportunity for us to see those players begin to get some game action.”

When NHL camps reopen in mid-November (virus willing), Toronto could bring a prospect back into the fold or decide to leave him for a full season to develop overseas.

“Those seasons should be wrapping up when we’re about halfway through our [202-21] NHL season, and then [we could] bring them over,” Dubas says.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
He repeatedly made picks that had bottom pair/fourth line upside and now many aren't going to become that in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Greenway (maybe toolsy enough to have higher upside at the time)
Middleton
Mattinen
Bobylev
Walker
Chebykin
Rasanen
Kara (who is still relevant)
Gordeev
McGregor
O'Connell

Even some of the picks that are still on NHL radars are going to end up being bottom 6 players (ie. Korshkov, Grundstrom, Brooks)

Mostly high risk/low reward players tbh

Last edited:
Reactions: smitty10

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Am really hoping to see some growth to his game this year. Internally grown power forward with some skill is desperately needed.

Reactions: brhymes19

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Wouldnt write him off just yet unless he decides not to return for the start of the 20/21 ahl season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad