Rumor: Korshkov signs in KHL - Friedman Update: Will be a loan. Can be recalled for start of 20-21 season

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
From Korshkov's perspective it makes sense. With Toronto's plethora of able-bodied wingers, it seems unlikely he was going to be a full-time NHL winger next season, and that season might not even start until January 2021, or later. In contrast, he has the opportunity to play full-time in a regular KHL season, which is a higher caliber league than the AHL that he likely would've been in if he stuck with Toronto.

From my perspective as a Leafs' fan...I can't say I'm overly torn up if this is the last we see of him in Toronto. It could be that after the strange 20/21, Covid affected season, he sees an opportunity to return, but it seems unlikely. He had a pretty decent season with the Marlies (16+9 in 44 GP), but it wasn't anything extraordinary for a 23 year old winger with parts of five professional seasons under his belt already. I know myself and plenty of other Leafs fans were not thrilled with the pick at the time in 2016 (I remember being surprised DeBrincat was still available, and hoped the Leafs would pick him up).

I wouldn't call him a 'failed' draft pick, because the vast majority of entry draft picks (even 2nd round picks), don't end up being fantastic NHL players. It sucks that he probably won't remain a tangible asset and depth piece for us, but it isn't earth shattering. Best of luck to him next season.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I know this doesn't necessarily mean he's done here in NA, but I never really liked the pick anyway. IMO if you draft a 20 year old who was passed over twice in the 2 previous drafts you have to be sure that's a hit, otherwise, just go for the standard 18 year old/1st draft year eligible player. Now at 24 years old with very little accomplished everywhere he's played, Korshkov (who we won't likely see til he's 25-26 now) looks to be a wasted pick.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
From Korshkov's perspective it makes sense. With Toronto's plethora of able-bodied wingers, it seems unlikely he was going to be a full-time NHL winger next season, and that season might not even start until January 2021, or later. In contrast, he has the opportunity to play full-time in a regular KHL season, which is a higher caliber league than the AHL that he likely would've been in if he stuck with Toronto.

From my perspective as a Leafs' fan...I can't say I'm overly torn up if this is the last we see of him in Toronto. It could be that after the strange 20/21, Covid affected season, he sees an opportunity to return, but it seems unlikely. He had a pretty decent season with the Marlies (16+9 in 44 GP), but it wasn't anything extraordinary for a 23 year old winger with parts of five professional seasons under his belt already. I know myself and plenty of other Leafs fans were not thrilled with the pick at the time in 2016 (I remember being surprised DeBrincat was still available, and hoped the Leafs would pick him up).

I wouldn't call him a 'failed' draft pick, because the vast majority of entry draft picks (even 2nd round picks), don't end up being fantastic NHL players. It sucks that he probably won't remain a tangible asset and depth piece for us, but it isn't earth shattering. Best of luck to him next season.

If most 2nd rounders fail, don't make it even harder on yourself by picking a no-name double overager with a middle-6 ceiling who can leave for more money in the KHL at the drop of a hat. Especially don't do that at #31 when you can almost certainly still get Korshkov with your other 2nd or 3rd.

We can sign 25 year old KHL bottom-6 depth for free, don't waste picks on the hope that 5 years from now you might have a passable 4th liner for a year until he prices himself off the team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't know why he isn't getting more consideration for this team, he brings what we lack. Somehow Malgin and Petan are kept around for the playoff squad and he isn't, weird. He also had a pretty good season on a bad Marlies team but didn't get any opportunities in the training camp while Robertson was basically gifted a spot. I feel like it might have something to do with Korshkov not being a Dubas pick, who knows.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I don't know why he isn't getting more consideration for this team, he brings what we lack. Somehow Malgin and Petan are kept around for the playoff squad and he isn't, weird. He also had a pretty good season on a bad Marlies team but didn't get any opportunities in the training camp while Robertson was basically gifted a spot. I feel like it might have something to do with Korshkov not being a Dubas pick, who knows.
If you have been paying attention to literally any of camp you could see Robertson was not gifted a spot. He's just better

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If you have been paying attention to literally any of camp you could see Robertson was not gifted a spot. He's just better

Zach Hyman has 2 days off for maintenance? Nick Robertson gets the spot.

Korshkov was impactful and was on the board and made good plays during the clips released for scrimmage. I'd definitely have time for him going up against the Blue Jackets.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Hes not a kid and there is no development if you arent playing. His quickest path to the NHL may actually be the KHL I am happy with his choice under the circumstances. I can see a whole bunch of AHL guys going over there or other Euro leagues.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's easy to look in hindsight and say that Debrincat was going to be the pick .. But consider Kyrou, Mascherin, and Aspland were taken in between. They are all smaller scoring type players. The Leafs could have easily selected one of them as well.

I'm still hopeful that Korshkov can become a 3rd line winger with size, some physicality, and a bit of a scoring touch in a few years. His window is certainly getting smaller but he was on the cusp before this virus hit.

Hindsight is definitely easy, BUT this pick was controversial even at the time since it appeared to be off the board a fair degree and his older age.

This one definitely stings a bit more than an average draft miss since the Leafs had the top pick of that 2nd round. For example Rasanen also looks like a bust, but im less annoyed at that one

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Well, i think the issue is aside from size he really doesnt bring much else. Not a great skater and medicore puck skills. Hed be fine if the Leafs just needed a warm body, but Robertson gives them a chance at having a more dynamic player: especially if theyre looking to get a new player into the top 9 rather than 4th line.

Reactions: Havoc

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Hindsight is definitely easy, BUT this pick was controversial even at the time since it appeared to be off the board a fair degree and his older age.

This one definitely stings a bit more than an average draft miss since the Leafs had the top pick of that 2nd round. For example Rasanen also looks like a bust, but im less annoyed at that one

So far none of the guys taken after Rasanen have done much so it definitely stings less. On the other hand the Leafs still hold Korsh's rights and a year or two in the K might make him ready to step in and help. He is two years younger than Mikheyev and Barabanov.

Reactions: Ciao

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
This is why you draft good ol Ontario boys

Hunter..... was pretty much the opposite of a draft guru at the NHL level. Would have been great if the Leafs could have had Marner and Konecny. Nylander,Konecny or Marner could have been used to acquire a 1st pairing defender right now (which is why you should always go BPA) Konecny has had injury problems but his tenacity, bite and leadership is something this team is very much could use. Presently we dont have a single player in our top 9 who will dare do much more than scowl at the opponent.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
But how do you guys know who was a good pick or wasn't at the time of the draft? I don't watch all these junior leagues, I don't know who the F any of these guys are at the time of the draft. I don't know, maybe you guys do, I am not saying anything. I am just amazed people have so much time to watch these junior players.
What about the fact that Korshkov went undrafted in 2014 and 2015. So it was a weird seeing Mark Hunter drafting him with the 31st pick of the 2nd round and Bob McKenzie saying he was ranked #65 on the TSN prospects list.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What about the fact that Korshkov went undrafted in 2014 and 2015. So it was a weird seeing Mark Hunter drafting him with the 31st pick of the 2nd round and Bob McKenzie saying he was ranked #65 on the TSN prospects list.

Ok, well if you guys go by the scouting reports from guys who do this for a living then I understand. I only go by what scouting reports say, but even then my knowledge is very limited about prospects. I guess some people are real "junkies" haha.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Good for him to get some extra playing time. I always liked to compare Engvall and Korshkov's development paths as guys that are the same age, but drafted 2 years and 5 rounds apart. If Korshkov had been taken late in his first draft I think we would view him much differently.

Both guys had injury issues in europe, came over and played well, but Engvall ultimately took advantage of his situation early and kind of blocked any chance Korshlov had at that spot with the Leafs.

Reactions: Ciao

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Good for him to get some extra playing time. I always liked to compare Engvall and Korshkov's development paths as guys that are the same age, but drafted 2 years and 5 rounds apart. If Korshkov had been taken late in his first draft I think we would view him much differently.

Both guys had injury issues in europe, came over and played well, but Engvall ultimately took advantage of his situation early and kind of blocked any chance Korshlov had at that spot with the Leafs.

Korshkov will likely still be given his chance. Barabanov is likely only going to be around for one year, since he will be a UFA after this year and likely will be nothing more than a replaceable bottom 6er. Korshkov could be the guy who replaces him on the 4th line after that.

Reactions: Ciao and Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The Leafs obviously aren't lacking in options for the wing. Just the opposite actually. Still, I don't particularly think his chance with the organization and team is up yet.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

With a night to sleep on it.
1st round was as far as they went night 1

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well this makes it an even longer shot that he’ll eventually be a player for the Leafs. Good thing we found Mikheyev. He’s rounding out to be the player I think they were envisioning.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Almost everybody knew Korshkov was a bad selection. Your just supporting Hunter if you have the mindset that people are pretending to know these players. It has nothing to do with that. Hunter just tried to outsmart himself and made him look silly in the process.
Anyways no need to worry about it now. He is gone now and the organization is better for it. He was awful at drafting here and showed how overrated he is.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
If most 2nd rounders fail, don't make it even harder on yourself by picking a no-name double overager with a middle-6 ceiling who can leave for more money in the KHL at the drop of a hat. Especially don't do that at #31 when you can almost certainly still get Korshkov with your other 2nd or 3rd.

We can sign 25 year old KHL bottom-6 depth for free, don't waste picks on the hope that 5 years from now you might have a passable 4th liner for a year until he prices himself off the team.

People always say this but KHL salaries are very low.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Hes not a kid and there is no development if you arent playing. His quickest path to the NHL may actually be the KHL I am happy with his choice under the circumstances. I can see a whole bunch of AHL guys going over there or other Euro leagues.
I think it's just a good pragmatic decision.

Definitely not the end of the line. The Leafs still hold his rights, and it's just another step in his development.

He wouldn't be playing for the Leafs next season, and no one knows if the AHL will have a season at all.

It gives him a place to play and continue to develop.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Normally this would be it for a guy like this, but with the flat cap we will have need of cheap entry levels. There's still hope assuming he can play at all at the NHL level, but never liked the pick and it's not like there was only 1 guy we missed out on at that spot. There were several good candidates.

Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hunter..... was pretty much the opposite of a draft guru at the NHL level. Would have been great if the Leafs could have had Marner and Konecny. Nylander,Konecny or Marner could have been used to acquire a 1st pairing defender right now (which is why you should always go BPA) Konecny has had injury problems but his tenacity, bite and leadership is something this team is very much could use. Presently we dont have a single player in our top 9 who will dare do much more than scowl at the opponent.

Dermott not panning out as quickly (or ever) as an impact defenseman is a real setback for the Leafs. He's now number 3 on the LHD depth chart and Sandin could pass him by too.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it's just a good pragmatic decision.

Definitely not the end of the line. The Leafs still hold his rights, and it's just another step in his development.

He wouldn't be playing for the Leafs next season, and no one knows if the AHL will have a season at all.

It gives him a place to play and continue to develop.

Leo Komarov went back to the KHL after his debut in Toronto as a 26 year old. Was back a year later and stayed for many years after that.

Reactions: Ciao and freshwind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad