Rumor: Korshkov signs in KHL - Friedman Update: Will be a loan. Can be recalled for start of 20-21 season

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He repeatedly made picks that had bottom pair/fourth line upside and now many aren't going to become that in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Greenway (maybe toolsy enough to have higher upside at the time)
Middleton
Mattinen
Bobylev
Walker
Chebykin
Rasanen
Kara (who is still relevant)
Gordeev
McGregor
O'Connell

Even some of the picks that are still on NHL radars are going to end up being bottom 6 players (ie. Korshkov, Grundstrom, Brooks)

Mostly high risk/low reward players tbh
and how many small skilled "steals" do we have?

best as i can tell,,Johnsson

i ask,,,who is the steal? 11m Marner at #4 or #10 Rantanen at 9.25m per?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well yeah if you neglect to recognize other good picks. I really don’t mind one way or the other. I am pleased with our drafting. We have a roster player out every year going back six or seven years. Thats great. Not going in to all the positives if you aren’t going to apply them. A bad pick is as sure as taxes for all teams.
How’s buffalo doin, they started their build parallel with us.
Edit: we have a roster player on the team presently going back 8 years.Thats possibly unmatched in the league. I could have counted Gauthier too but didn’t:)

OK, we have not blown any 1rst round picks in some time,,that's a start

Hell,,,,, even Goat as a low maintenance safe 4th line c or AHL C depth ain't a terrible pick

who went after him that matters?? theodore? ( yup that hurts) ,,,, Andre burakovsky?? meh

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Lots of people didnt.

You're also comparing apples to oranges. Marleau was a bad contract with costs to make go away. A draft pick is a clean slate to do what you want with
so then bridge kerf/johns/kappy

jesus HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHLLLLLLL,

,Tbay made Point settle for 6.75m for 3 seasons

that kid is a super stud

screw Marner ,,,Point is on par with friggen Matthews

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I am still waiting for a "STEAL" pick

i ask,,,,,,, when was the last time we did that?,,,,, Rask? ,,,,,,possible HOF tender at #21?

Sandin/robertson might be,,,but lets be honest , we have thought that about many of our prospects(Re bracco)

johnsson/engvall in the 7th,,yup,,, not bad but not needle movers

i am talking about Aho/weber/bergeron/marchand/Josi ect ect ect,,,none of them 1rst rounders

when do we FINALLY HIT?????

Reactions: brhymes19

Captain34

Sep 18, 2019
so then bridge kerf/johns/kappy

jesus HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHLLLLLLL,

,Tbay made Point settle for 6.75m for 3 seasons

that kid is a super stud

screw Marner ,,,Point is on par with friggen Matthews

Blame Marner all you want, but in my opinion, the blame for that contract lies directly with Dubas. I can admit this and still still remain a big fan of his especially following this year's draft. If we are completely how honest with eachother, Dubas should have let him sit instead of caving on term, structure and salary. We had the leverage in that negotiation and didn't use any of it. Ridiculous.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Blame Marner all you want, but in my opinion, the blame for that contract lies directly with Dubas. I can admit this and still still remain a big fan of his especially following this year's draft. If we are completely how honest with eachother, Dubas should have let him sit instead of caving on term, structure and salary. We had the leverage in that negotiation and didn't use any of it. Ridiculous.

i am no fan at all of Dubas as a GM

maybe in the role of Assistant gm or head scout or the likes

this guppy should not be in the same waters with the real sharks,,,hence his RFA debacle

and this was no time (the big rfa kids due) to break in a rook GM who is soft as melted butter(just like the roster he assembled), that's ALL ON Shanny(frankly, he blew it)

IF KD is this insane drafter/scout,,then pay him massive/huge bucks to be this prodigy

BUT keep him at the kids table at christmas when it's big boy time, he can't ink a deal worth a damn and his trade prowess is suspect at best. The Kadri trade is flat out terrible, it makes my(as a 48 year fan) top 10 worst leafs deals (given he has had the role for a hot minute, that is saying something).

Reactions: Captain34

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017

i ask,,,,,,, when was the last time we did that?,,,,, Rask? ,,,,,,possible HOF tender at #21?

Sandin/robertson might be,,,but lets be honest , we have thought that about many of our prospects(Re bracco)

i am talking about Aho/weber/bergeron/marchand/Josi ect ect ect,,,none of them 1rst rounders

Let's start with at least a Cernak.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

well,,,,, i said it waaaaayyyyy back in the day

KD screwed up big time when he caved for Melander,,there was literally no reason not to give him the exact deal Ehlers got and KD got rolled hard

Nylander got 1m per more then NE and yet the deals started the same season

and to make things EVEN WORSE

Nik Ehlers sold 3 UFA seasons and Melander sold just 1 and got 1m per more , i ask,,,who is the "tougher guy" to play against? from what i have seen,,both Ehlers and conner are

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
well i said it waaaaayyyyy back in the day

KD screwed up big time when he caved for Melander,,there was literally no reason not to give him the exact deal Ehlers got and KD got rolled hard

Nylander got 1m per more then NE and yet the deals started the same season

and to make things EVEN WORSE

Nik Ehlers sold 3 UFA seasons and Melander sold just 1 and got 1m per more , i ask,,,who is the "tougher guy" to play against? from what i have seen,,both Ehlers and conner are

Melander? Damn, some of these people are just childish.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
and how many small skilled "steals" do we have?

best as i can tell,,Johnsson

i ask,,,who is the steal? 11m Marner at #4 or #10 Rantanen at 9.25m per?

According to CapFriendly:
Rantanen based on a Colorado tax-rate of 44.4% should be taking home $6,671,578.
Marner based on an Ontario tax-rate of 53.34% should be taking home $6,999,025

So I ask you, do you really thing Rantanen would of signed for the same amount in Toronto, seeing that his same contract value would mean a -$1,066,652 loss?

The player's don't care about the impact on Toronto's finances, they're rightly worried about their own. The lack of parity in the league that sees teams like
Tampa Bay and Dallas in the finals just shows it's not fair but that's the team's problem, not the players.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Rantanen based on a Colorado tax-rate of 44.4% should be taking home $6,671,578.

So I ask you, do you really thing Rantanen would of signed for the same amount in Toronto, seeing that his same contract value would mean a -$1,066,652 loss?

The player's don't care about the impact on Toronto's finances, they're rightly worried about their own. The lack of parity in the league that sees teams like
Tampa Bay and Dallas in the finals just shows it's not fair but that's the team's problem, not the players.
But Marner is Canadian and Rantanen is not. Their tax rate should be different even if they both play for the Leafs.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

are you saying this as a accountant familiar with each deals cash structure and escrow issues?

or just a rough outline?

because i have listen to pro players that played in TO state,,,this tax thing is wayyyyyy over blown after seeing how our deals are structured

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

LOL.... You know there are 30... 31 players taken every year in the 2nd round and you are waiting for a star in the second round... So you just listed probably the 5 best players selected in the 2nd over like a 15 year range...

That's like 450 players that aren't stars that were also drafted in the 2nd..lol.. Your going to be waiting for a long long long long time

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just going to make it short instead of going into details(since there is a lot more complicated than explaining on a forum)
Well, Rantanen probably won't be living in Canada during off season while Marner stays in Toronto. Since not all the games are being played in Toronto, salaries from games outside of Canada will have a different tax rate between Canadian and non Canadian players. As Canadians will pay the same tax % as games in Toronto while non Canadian pays the local %(depending on which Countries they are from).

Reactions: taurine330

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
LOL.... You know there are 30... 31 players taken every year in the 2nd round and you are waiting for a star in the second round... So you just listed probably the 5 best players selected in the 2nd over like a 15 year range...

That's like 450 players that aren't stars that were also drafted in the 2nd..lol.. Your going to be waiting for a long long long long time
actually,,i probably did not name the 5 best 2nd rnd picks in the last 15 years,,hell,, i did not even try to make a list past the 2nd rnd

what i know as fact,,we have next to zippo/nada players picked outside the top 8 worth talking about in,,,wellll,,,,,,,,forever,,,,Rask and ??????????????Johnsson 7th?

Naz/reilz/willi/mitch/matty and????

maybe sandin/roberts??

derm/bracco/korsh are eh/meh to bust picks

again, i state,,when they start finding true gems outside the top 10 picks,then wake me up

cuzz i ain't sure as hell holding my breath

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
He did not have leverage. Marners camp could have signed an offersheet midway into the season that would have prorated way out of the Leafs capspace and the Leafs would have had no choice but to let him go. Now, whether the draft picks would be better than having a severely overpaid winger whose numbers were inflated by JT is another question.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
Korshkov looks pretty great so far in the KHL. Lehtinen looks even better though. Look for these guys, and any loaned player to come out like gangbusters at the start of the year, and fade as the season goes on. They will be in game shape at the start, when everyone else is ramping up. They will fade as the season goes on though because they will have played for almost an entire year straight.

Reactions: brhymes19

Captain34

Sep 18, 2019
He did not have leverage. Marners camp could have signed an offersheet midway into the season that would have prorated way out of the Leafs capspace and the Leafs would have had no choice but to let him go. Now, whether the draft picks would be better than having a severely overpaid winger whose numbers were inflated by JT is another question.

Then let him go. I love Marner as a player, but if he was putting the team in this position, then that is not a player I want on my team. The Leafs were not lowballing him or anything like that. In fact, the Leafs not only overpay by a few million dollars, but they also structured his contract in a very advantageous manner for him with the salary bonuses. That is on top of the endorsement deals he has by being a hometown player playing for the Leafs. Hate Lou/Burkie all you want, but I am confident that they would not have let one player rise above the team and pull off a stunt like this. At the same token, I doubt that Lou/Burkie would have employed the same drafting strategy as Dubas did, which I absolutely love. All this to say is that the Leafs need to be more assertive when negotiating contracts with their star players.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad