Legendary play by play man Bob Cole has passed RIP.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
The perfect play by play guy. The tone of his voice, the cadence, the use of volume appropriately, his choice of words, how he knew when to let the spectacle carry the moment, the class of the human being he was, it was all perfect. We will never see another one like him and it’s not even going to be close.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Thanks for posting this. I just watched it again 2 more times. Damn, he was the best.
I did the same thing.
The line..."you are there to enhance the game...dont try to steal it".
Just perfect.

Hopefully some of the current announcers out there take those words to heart.
This is a brilliant tribute to Bob Cole. He was such a gem.
I am probably going to watch this a few more times.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I did the same thing.
The line..."you are there to enhance the game...dont try to steal it".
Just perfect.

Hopefully some of the current announcers out there take those words to heart.
This is a brilliant tribute to Bob Cole. He was such a gem.
I am proabaly going to watch this a few more times.
His ability to voice what the fans watching are thinking, but will all the excitement and sincerity of a real fan just made him so endearing to listen to during games.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
RIP Legend. Don't see anyone currently close to the standard he set at his prime.

I don't know if play by play will ever reach near the quality of every post TV era up until now.

Foster Hewitt, Danny Gallivan, Bob Cole, Dan Kelly, Doc Emerick and Don Whitman were all had the classic, "old school" style of play by play. Chris Cuthbert to a lesser extent has this style, but is probably the last of an extinct breed.

Everyone else today? Most rank between awful and just different styles.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I don't know if play by play will ever reach near the quality of every post TV era up until now.

Foster Hewitt, Danny Gallivan, Bob Cole, Dan Kelly, Doc Emerick and Don Whitman were all had the classic, "old school" style of play by play. Chris Cuthbert to a lesser extent has this style, but is probably the last of an extinct breed.

Everyone else today? Most rank between awful and just different styles.
Gord Miller and Chris Cuthbert are still good. After that it is pretty light, although I can't say I listen to many of the other broadcast teams that much.

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
I didn't really have the same amount of exposure to Bob Cole compared to most here, but even I'd immediately recognise his distinctive delivery whenever I caught a game that he was calling.

To think that he was still doing the occasional game at 85 years old. Rest well.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Classic Oiler calls of his off the top of my head - please add what I'm missing:

- 1984 Stanley Cup win
- 1990 SCF Klima goal
- 1997 Buchburger goal
- 1997 Marchant goal
- 2006 Pisani goal

I'm probably missing many.
I remember thinking he maybe stayed in the announcer chair a bit longer than he maybe should have because at times it seemed like he struggled to keep up, but oh man that Pisani call still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

They have time to kill now folks.... time to kill now.

Seemed like he had a good life and I hope it was. Plenty of memories to go around. I didn't watch a lot of early 90s and early, but he had some great "Ohhhh babys" in the highlights I've seen!

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Gord Miller and Chris Cuthbert are still good. After that it is pretty light, although I can't say I listen to many of the other broadcast teams that much.
I know I keep spamming their names, but I can definitely vouch for Cam Moon on radio and Bryan Mudryk on TV.

Mudryk almost sounds like a cross between Cuthbert and Jim Hughson.

EDIT: The goal call at 6:22 is PHENOMENAL.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Was the GOAT at play by play.

Just watching his calls gives you chills.

I thought he might have stayed at it for too long and the game passed him by, the first call I remember listening to was as a 6 year old having him call the Marchant goal against Dallas.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I know I keep spamming their names, but I can definitely vouch for Cam Moon on radio and Bryan Mudryk on TV.

Mudryk almost sounds like a cross between Cuthbert and Jim Hughson.

EDIT: The goal call at 6:22 is PHENOMENAL.

Thanks for posting that. The more I hear Mudryk the more I like him. He modulates his call along with the play. It enhances the play and ultimately enhances the game.
It doesnt seem like there is any annoying storytime to his play calling either. That totally takes away from the game IMO. Sucks the life out of it.
I like Moon too. I wish he was the TV guy for the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad