Rumor: Korshkov signs in KHL - Friedman Update: Will be a loan. Can be recalled for start of 20-21 season

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What if he makes the Team next year?

This all might be based on contract situation.

He would be ineligible if he signs a KHL contract unless it has an out clause to return to the NHL training camp during a KHL season.

He would need Leafs management permission to play in Europe and sign a contract since he is under contract to Leafs for 2020-21, and would be playing for the Marlies if not the Leafs, unless loaned to a KHL team with permission.

If he is returning home to play against Leafs authorization it might mean his NHL dream is over for now.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This all might be based on contract situation.

He would be ineligible if he signs a KHL contract unless it has an out clause to return to the NHL training camp during a KHL season.

He would need Leafs management permission to play in Europe and sign a contract since he is under contract to Leafs for 2020-21, and would be playing for the Marlies if not the Leafs, unless loaned to a KHL team with permission.

If he is returning home to play against Leafs authorization it might mean his NHL dream is over for now.
Yep, sounds like a lot of unknowns.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It would definitely help, but even if he becomes a consistent 4th liner, in retrospect the pick still stings considering the alternatives who could have been chosen instead
That's always the case isn't it? Unless you pick at the very top of the draft aren't there always players that should/could have been taken instead?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Good for him. Dubie clearly signed other guys to fill up spots next year. What else could he do? Players need to get paid. They don't care about colours.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That's always the case isn't it? Unless you pick at the very top of the draft aren't there always players that should/could have been taken instead?

It is, and its also unfair to judge a scout by a single pick. But given the supposed hype surrounding thr Leafs scouting staff at the time, by going off board on a guy whose a potential bust and missing out on a 70 point NHLer in the process makes it look worse than usual imo.

The wider problem is the Leafs drafting in 2015-17 really hasnt been great so far outside of the 1st round, with Dermott being the exception. 5 2nd rounders during that period and hes the only one looking like a (potential) impact player

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Well, i think the issue is aside from size he really doesnt bring much else. Not a great skater and medicore puck skills. Hed be fine if the Leafs just needed a warm body, but Robertson gives them a chance at having a more dynamic player: especially if theyre looking to get a new player into the top 9 rather than 4th line.

He was on pace for 30 goals in the AHL in his first season in North if it wasn't cancelled/no injuries. He didn't really play in the top 6. He has decent wheels and average puck skills. He can play in our bottom 6 easily.

Reactions: ACC1224

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
YUP...Korshov was on a 30 goal pace in the AHL.
84 goal pace with the Leafs.

Surprised me they kept giving opps to Malgin, Aberg and even Marchment and passing him over.

Reactions: teddygmr

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It is, and its also unfair to judge a scout by a single pick. But given the supposed hype surrounding thr Leafs scouting staff at the time, by going off board on a guy whose a potential bust and missing out on a 70 point NHLer in the process makes it look worse than usual imo.

The wider problem is the Leafs drafting in 2015-17 really hasnt been great so far outside of the 1st round, with Dermott being the exception. 5 2nd rounders during that period and hes the only one looking like a (potential) impact player
Yep, they could have done better for sure.
How much blame is assigned to Hunter?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
According to Friedman, it will be a loan situation. So he can play the start of the KHL season there, and then be recalled in November/December when next season starts up;

"28. There was a report that Toronto’s Egor Korshkov is going back to the KHL. Word is that it will be a “loan,” so there will be an opportunity for him to play next season. The large number of positive COVID cases on some teams might lead to a delay in the start of that league’s season, too."

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
According to Friedman, it will be a loan situation. So he can play the start of the KHL season there, and then be recalled in November/December when next season starts up;

"28. There was a report that Toronto’s Egor Korshkov is going back to the KHL. Word is that it will be a “loan,” so there will be an opportunity for him to play next season. The large number of positive COVID cases on some teams might lead to a delay in the start of that league’s season, too."
So the sky's not falling? :laugh:

Reactions: LeafSteel

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

The KHL contracts do not include an NHL out-clause. Such kind of out-clause is forbidden by KHL by-laws. The KHL contracts end on April 30.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
YUP...Korshov was on a 30 goal pace in the AHL.
84 goal pace with the Leafs.

Surprised me they kept giving opps to Malgin, Aberg and even Marchment and passing him over.

I believe he was injured for most of Malgin's stint.

I would have liked to see him in the NHL when he was not playing a third game in three days, including one that went into OT (where he scored the winner after being down by 4 goals).

He looked tired and slower than usual in his Buffalo game, and now people have the impression that he will not be able to keep up in the NHL. He's not going to be the fastest guy on the ice, but few guys are going to be able to knock him off of the puck and he is fast enough to play in the NHL.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yep, they could have done better for sure.
How much blame is assigned to Hunter?

It depends on how much direct guidance/input the scouts had to follow from the GM. There did seem to be a change in style between the 2015 draft vs the 2016 and 2017 drafts. But i dont know enough about the particulars of the teams internal dynamics tonsay either way

But imo head of scouting takes responsibility for better or for worse. I would have been interested to see what Hunter would have done under a non-Lou GM for another draft cycle

Reactions: ACC1224

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
For me it seems Mikheyev is the missed opportunity of drafting Korshkov as his replacement for the Leafs roster as an undrafted player.

Mikheyev likely to have a greater impact on the Leafs than Korshkov ever would. IMO

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It depends on how much direct guidance/input the scouts had to follow from the GM. There did seem to be a change in style between the 2015 draft vs the 2016 and 2017 drafts. But i dont know enough about the particulars of the teams internal dynamics tonsay either way

But imo head of scouting takes responsibility for better or for worse. I would have been interested to see what Hunter would have done under a non-Lou GM for another draft cycle
Shanahan seems to be the common denominator and is never looked at.
Hunter, Lou and Babcock seem to be universally hated. Makes you wonder why some are so high on Dubas.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The KHL contracts do not include an NHL out-clause. Such kind of out-clause is forbidden by KHL by-laws. The KHL contracts end on April 30.

Korshkov wouldn't be under KHL contract.

It would be a loan agreement between the KHL team, KHL, Leafs and the NHL. Same thing as when the Leafs loaned Nylander back to his MODO, then brought him to the AHL halfway through.

There's already been a few situations like this, and we will likely see more of them happening as we get closer to the Euro leagues starting back up.

For example, a guy like Kral will likely be loaned to a Czech team, seeing the uncertainty of the AHL/CHL seasons. Same thing with someone like SDA.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Honestly, considering how Hunter was praised at that time, how many supposed 1st rounders didn’t get picked at that spot and how Korshkov was way off the board for literally every pre draft boards, safe to say unless Korshkov becomes a 1st liner, it’s going to be a bad pick.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Honestly, considering how Hunter was praised at that time, how many supposed 1st rounders didn’t get picked at that spot and how Korshkov was way off the board for literally every pre draft boards, safe to save unless Korshkov becomes a 1st liner, it was going to be a bad pick.
It's a terrible pick and was a terrible pick the second it was made.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hunter, Lou and Babcock seem to be universally hated. Makes you wonder why some are so high on Dubas.

Hated seems to be a strong word. Relative to guys like Burke, Wilson, Nonis and Carlyle, I'd say they got it nice. Of course they also accomplished a lot more (i.e. making the playoffs more than once).

I think the main thing is that these guys were universally overhyped, and then when they failed to meet expectations and the Leafs hit a ceiling, it was time to move on. The same thing will happen to Dubas and Keefe if they start making similar mistakes, but they seem to be making much better decisions right now so there are more reasons to trust them right now.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Then I'll be very happy to admit I'm wrong.

As it stands it's extremely hard to defend this pick.
Actually its easy to defend. It’s a draft and a heavy take like this on draft day is something disregarded by a we have to wait and see comment. He was passed on by lots of teams. I wouldn’t have passed on him. He’s a pure goal scorer. Korshkov will be back in a year

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Shanahan might be an issue, but the only draft story you hear about him is the background check on Nylander prior to the 2014 draft.

Regardless i think Leafs drafting has a fair amount of room to improve upon; I liked the last couple drafts but its too soon to say either way, but Sandin and Robertson look like early returns so far. If some of Hunters picks from the later rounds of those earlier drafts end up to be hits ill definitely soften my tone towards him too, but im skeptical so far.

Hopefully the team is abke to circle back to Korshkov like they were able to with Komarov too

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Actually its easy to defend. It’s a draft and a heavy take like this on draft day is something disregarded by a we have to wait and see comment. He was passed on by lots of teams. I wouldn’t have passed on him. He’s a pure goal scorer. Korshkov will be back in a year

So we just shrug our shoulders when our chief scout blows a high pick?

You may think he turns into something, I do not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad