Rumor: Korshkov signs in KHL - Friedman Update: Will be a loan. Can be recalled for start of 20-21 season

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Korshkov was always hesitant to come to NA and leave Russia.

Now that he came and saw and realizes his odds of making the Leafs is slim, returning home makes the most sense..

Its probably the last we might see of him.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Hope he gets more than 5-6 minutes per game like he was getting before in the KHL.

With Barabonov coming over and a whole whack of other wingers ahead of him on the depth chart (including an 18 year old who's usurped him in the last month) I think this is a good decision. The Marlies probably won't even play until 2021 the way this pandemic is going

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Jury is out. Playing in Russia for a few years, Injuries, Covid etc makes it harder. I liked what I saw when he had a few games. Good, size, decent vision and finishing and speed for a big man. Pretty good for where he was picked.

Personally I remember wanting Debrincat, which 7 other teams passed on in the 2nd round. Aside from him I think it was worth the risk.

I am sure there are lots of people who think we messed up not picking Samuel Girard. Truth be told most 2nd rounders are a crap shoot

Reactions: Ciao

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Now that he came and saw and realizes his odds of making the Leafs is slim, returning home makes the most sense..

Don't be ridiculous what else is going to do sit on his ass for 5 or 6 months?

Reactions: TimeZone

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Jury is out. Playing in Russia for a few years, Injuries, Covid etc makes it harder. I liked what I saw when he had a few games. Good, size, decent vision and finishing and speed for a big man. Pretty good for where he was picked.

Personally I remember wanting Debrincat, which 7 other teams passed on in the 2nd round. Aside from him I think it was worth the risk.

I am sure there are lots of people who think we messed up not picking Samuel Girard. Truth be told most 2nd rounders are crap shoots.
I remember I wanted Jonathan Dahlen at that pick and although he hasn't made his mark yet in the NHL I'd still take him just based on his age (22) and how he dominated the SHL this season.
Jonathan Dahlen Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Makes sense for Korshkov. Needs playing time though.
That draft was pretty bad aside from the guaranteed Matthews.

Reactions: Menzinger

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Makes sense. Likely not playing in the playoffs, and next season won’t start until December-January anyway. Whereas the KHL is expected to start in August normally I think

So, is he expected back for the 2020-21 NHL season? How long is the KHL season?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The hindsight failed draft pick posts has always been an entertaining facet of this board. Amazing people can speak with such authority on things they have such little clue on. :laugh:

It's easy to look in hindsight and say that Debrincat was going to be the pick .. But consider Kyrou, Mascherin, and Aspland were taken in between. They are all smaller scoring type players. The Leafs could have easily selected one of them as well.

I'm still hopeful that Korshkov can become a 3rd line winger with size, some physicality, and a bit of a scoring touch in a few years. His window is certainly getting smaller but he was on the cusp before this virus hit.

Reactions: ACC1224

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
So, is he expected back for the 2020-21 NHL season? How long is the KHL season?
No, he is not expected back for the 2020-21 NHL season if he really signs with Lokomotiv. The KHL pre-season starting now, the KHL regular-season start is planned for Sept 2nd. The schedule is not released yet, but the regular-season should finish sometimes in end February or March, then play-offs. Of course, if the pandemic does not make changes .... but the KHL recently said that only very serious and rapid negative COVID development might change the league´s mind with the season´s plans.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The hindsight failed draft pick posts has always been an entertaining facet of this board. Amazing people can speak with such authority on things they have such little clue on. :laugh:
It's not "hindsight". Lots of people didn't like the pick at the time, as it was way off the board. Dubas himself pushed for Debrincat at the time, according to a Marlies coach

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's not "hindsight". Lots of people didn't like the pick at the time, as it was way off the board. Dubas himself pushed for Debrincat at the time, according to a Marlies coach

But how do you guys know who was a good pick or wasn't at the time of the draft? I don't watch all these junior leagues, I don't know who the F any of these guys are at the time of the draft. I don't know, maybe you guys do, I am not saying anything. I am just amazed people have so much time to watch these junior players.

Reactions: ACC1224

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
No, he is not expected back for the 2020-21 NHL season if he really signs with Lokomotiv. The KHL pre-season starting now, the KHL regular-season start is planned for Sept 2nd. The schedule is not released yet, but the regular-season should finish sometimes in end February or March, then play-offs. Of course, if the pandemic does not make changes .... but the KHL recently said that only very serious and rapid negative COVID development might change the league´s mind with the season´s plans.
OK thanks. So, if he signs with the KHL, and the KHL season gets underway, we will not see him in a Leafs uniform in 2020-21 then I guess.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd

dear god...

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
When I first found this Board back in the late 90’s it was full of Junior hockey fanatics. Players, parents, coaches, brothers, sisters, fans of junior teams. I was amazed at their insight into seemingly unknown players. It was quite amazing. There are remnants of those people on the Board still. It was what made this place special. But you are right, these days, most of us know jack about these guy.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Personally I wanted Carter Hart at the time but after the Andersen trade I knew that wasn't going to happen but man I wish it had there would be no question who the future starter would be.

As of now they have nothing Campbell included that xan replace Andersen

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

You are misinformed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad